Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My reel keeps falling off!

If you want to keep the reel on the rod all the time, just use 2 black cable zip ties, one behind the rear reel ring and one in front of the front one. The reel will stay put, they’re unobtrusive and can be clipped off with pliers or snips if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Has to be tightish though Mark,so you roll the rubber back for best results.
    Alan I couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    If you don't mind fixing one of the rings permanently I have some suitable adhesive lined heat shrink tubing I could spare. PM me if you want some.
    Thanks wetthrough, see how we go, probably no need to go to all that trouble, I am sure I will end up with an easy solution, probably tape it on each time I go although I would rather have something permanent. More stuff to carry and more faffing about when I start fishing, do enough of that already' same with cable ties etc.
    I would love cork but to much to do and it's a cheap rod, it's just that I like it, I like the idea of having some rolling rubber on there just rolled up against the rings to keep them in place. But theres a ridge thing on the handle which I have just realised is probably there to sit the bottom ring on (is that right?) but I usually fish the reel higher up. The rings look pretty tight to me, perhaps this picture will help. I want to take the reel off and I think the reel arms are too thick for these anyway, they are a bit small and flimsy.
    Attached Images Attached Images My reel keeps falling off!-areelseat.jpg 

The cable tie idea sounds good and i would try that first. If it doesn't they can be cut off or released if you buy the reusable ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Alan I couldn't agree more!
    Your so awful!

I tried cable ties. found them very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by seth49 View Post
    I tried cable ties. found them very uncomfortable.
    I suppose it depends where you position the cut stubs?

Try rubber rejuvenator
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seth49 View Post
    Have the same problem with one of my cane rods, I use a couple of rubber o rings which are a snug fit, roll them away to fit the reel, and then roll them back against the reel holders, one above and one below each metal ring.
    I'd go with this and do but with innertube 10 mm wide on what rods I now have with sliding fittings.
    Innertube comes in many sizes these day, easily acquired, find a couple of local kids and mug them for their bikes, strip the innertube from the front wheel. Bike tyres these days can be prised off the rim with you hands, not what they use to be that's for sure! Cut the tube pull out of the tyre, jobs a good en' in less than 2 minutes! Leave bike sprawled across the pavement for collection by the kids parents.
    Life lesson learnt for the kids, keep out of the way of adults and grumpy old men, as you are likely to get mugged for your innertubes if you ride on the pavement. Less chance if you ride where you are supposed to....like on the road!

One innertube will give you enough rings to last a lifetime.

Well, that’s every possible variation on a fix on offer now. An embarrassment of riches.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast