My reel keeps falling off!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have this rod which has been great for about 10 years but the reel keeps falling off; yesterday it fell off about 4 times and I want to do something about it, been meaning to for a long time but you know what it's like, gear gets put away and forgotton till next time. Mind you, ten years is shameful..
Its a 12ft float rod with spongy type handle and 2 of those metal sliding jobs.
Whats a non-fuss, non-expensive way to stop this, do I hacksaw through them and put something else on or is there a way of making them secure the reel so it does not fall off that doesn't involve a lot of messing around?

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A section of bike inner tube underneath the fittings might work so that the reel is held more firmly.

Reaction score
Has to be tightish though Mark,so you roll the rubber back for best results.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, do I roll the inner tube up against the reel fittings or leave them flat under the fittings like MarkW says? Have I got that right?

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
If you don't mind fixing one of the rings permanently I have some suitable adhesive lined heat shrink tubing I could spare. PM me if you want some.

Molehill

Reaction score
I use a few inches of adhesive cork tape on the reel foot, this pads it out enough for the reels rings to grip. Then peel the tape off when finished - or leave it on when fishing again.
Works for me because I have a massive roll of the tape from rod building days and nothing else to do with it!
Cork Self-Adhesive Tape - Baker Ross

theartist

Reaction score
If you tape one of the rings up make sure it's the bottom one closest to the butt, otherwise the reel will still work it's way off with gravity. I've had an old Sundridge taped up like that (just with electrical tape) and it's been fine ever since

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Zip ties or duct tape.... depends how permanently you want to fix the reel on.

seth49

Reaction score
Have the same problem with one of my cane rods, I use a couple of rubber o rings which are a snug fit, roll them away to fit the reel, and then roll them back against the reel holders, one above and one below each metal ring.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, do I roll the inner tube up against the reel fittings or leave them flat under the fittings like MarkW says? Have I got that right?

You can have a longer length if the reel fittings are loose, a shorter bit if you just want to bulk out the reel foot or a couple of short bits to roll against the fittings. It may be that the duplon is damaged/compressed so that the best quick way is to strip off the duplon back to the blank and replace with 6" of cork rings.

John Keane

Reaction score
If you want to keep the reel on the rod all the time, just use 2 black cable zip ties, one behind the rear reel ring and one in front of the front one. The reel will stay put, they’re unobtrusive and can be clipped off with pliers or snips if needed.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you don't mind fixing one of the rings permanently I have some suitable adhesive lined heat shrink tubing I could spare. PM me if you want some.

Thanks wetthrough, see how we go, probably no need to go to all that trouble, I am sure I will end up with an easy solution, probably tape it on each time I go although I would rather have something permanent. More stuff to carry and more faffing about when I start fishing, do enough of that already' same with cable ties etc.
I would love cork but to much to do and it's a cheap rod, it's just that I like it, I like the idea of having some rolling rubber on there just rolled up against the rings to keep them in place. But theres a ridge thing on the handle which I have just realised is probably there to sit the bottom ring on (is that right?) but I usually fish the reel higher up. The rings look pretty tight to me, perhaps this picture will help. I want to take the reel off and I think the reel arms are too thick for these anyway, they are a bit small and flimsy.

mikench

Reaction score
The cable tie idea sounds good and i would try that first. If it doesn't they can be cut off or released if you buy the reusable ones.

The bad one

Reaction score
Have the same problem with one of my cane rods, I use a couple of rubber o rings which are a snug fit, roll them away to fit the reel, and then roll them back against the reel holders, one above and one below each metal ring.
I'd go with this and do but with innertube 10 mm wide on what rods I now have with sliding fittings.
Innertube comes in many sizes these day, easily acquired, find a couple of local kids and mug them for their bikes, strip the innertube from the front wheel. Bike tyres these days can be prised off the rim with you hands, not what they use to be that's for sure! Cut the tube pull out of the tyre, jobs a good en' in less than 2 minutes! Leave bike sprawled across the pavement for collection by the kids parents.
Life lesson learnt for the kids, keep out of the way of adults and grumpy old men, as you are likely to get mugged for your innertubes if you ride on the pavement. Less chance if you ride where you are supposed to....like on the road!

One innertube will give you enough rings to last a lifetime.

John Keane

Reaction score
Well, that’s every possible variation on a fix on offer now. An embarrassment of riches.