Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My reel keeps falling off!

I have this rod which has been great for about 10 years but the reel keeps falling off; yesterday it fell off about 4 times and I want to do something about it, been meaning to for a long time but you know what it's like, gear gets put away and forgotton till next time. Mind you, ten years is shameful..
    Its a 12ft float rod with spongy type handle and 2 of those metal sliding jobs.
    Whats a non-fuss, non-expensive way to stop this, do I hacksaw through them and put something else on or is there a way of making them secure the reel so it does not fall off that doesn't involve a lot of messing around?
    Last edited by markg; 01-07-2019 at 05:49.

Default Re: My reel keeps falling off!

A section of bike inner tube underneath the fittings might work so that the reel is held more firmly.

Blog Entries

Has to be tightish though Mark,so you roll the rubber back for best results.

Sounds like a good idea, do I roll the inner tube up against the reel fittings or leave them flat under the fittings like MarkW says? Have I got that right?
    Last edited by markg; 01-07-2019 at 06:13.

Blog Entries

If you don't mind fixing one of the rings permanently I have some suitable adhesive lined heat shrink tubing I could spare. PM me if you want some.

I use a few inches of adhesive cork tape on the reel foot, this pads it out enough for the reels rings to grip. Then peel the tape off when finished - or leave it on when fishing again.
    Works for me because I have a massive roll of the tape from rod building days and nothing else to do with it!
    Cork Self-Adhesive Tape - Baker Ross

If you tape one of the rings up make sure it's the bottom one closest to the butt, otherwise the reel will still work it's way off with gravity. I've had an old Sundridge taped up like that (just with electrical tape) and it's been fine ever since

8. Default Re: My reel keeps falling off!

Zip ties or duct tape.... depends how permanently you want to fix the reel on.

Have the same problem with one of my cane rods, I use a couple of rubber o rings which are a snug fit, roll them away to fit the reel, and then roll them back against the reel holders, one above and one below each metal ring.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, do I roll the inner tube up against the reel fittings or leave them flat under the fittings like MarkW says? Have I got that right?
    You can have a longer length if the reel fittings are loose, a shorter bit if you just want to bulk out the reel foot or a couple of short bits to roll against the fittings. It may be that the duplon is damaged/compressed so that the best quick way is to strip off the duplon back to the blank and replace with 6" of cork rings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast