Chick peas for crucians ...

Reaction score
Do you think crucians will take them,I ask because the lakes in fishing have lots of roach and they are continually lacking at pellets,corn,meat etc.
I know the-fee used to use them for roach,don't mind reasonable fish taking them,but not two ouncers...

Last edited:

Reaction score
A plea to change the title has been pm'd...:eek:mg:

Many thanks Peter,the title was altered before Jerry posted,as I'm sure he would have hung,drawn and quartered me,lol...

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Never used them for crues Alan. IMO there are quite a few more reliable baits............

Reaction score
Yes,I like maggot,caster,corn,meat,bread and pellet,but there seems to be an issue,all are susceptible to small fish whittling away at them,6mms hard pellet has worked best this far,which certainly wouldn't be my go to bait for crus...

mikench

Reaction score
I like chick peas as a bait. They don't always work but are a useful addition to ones armoury. I curry mine and had at least a couple of crucians last week.

Tinned chick peas are often a little soft for hair rigging or hooking and are variable in their softness with some being perfect. I eat a lot of curried chick peas myself so always have some on the go and if they are soft when the tin is opened it's a chick pea curry for tea. I cannot lose!:rolleyes:

Laguna on this forum sells them called red and yellow chicks at very reasonable prices and they last for months. I am currently using the yellow variant with a little curry powder added. They stay on the hair better than any others.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Worth a try, but in my experience bunched Maggots or Casters (joint first choice baits) catch the best Crucians, followed by 4mm pellets as a distant second. Problem being as you have identified, these are great Roach baits too. Add to that an 18 or 16 hook and you are asking for loads of small silvers.

Personally I like to find a peg that's nestled between two lily beds. I look at it as if there are three areas like a clock, 10-12-2.

I feed into 12, normally brown crumb, casters, dead Maggots and some micro pellets in the hopes of drawing the brave small fish to there. I take turns fishing 10, 2 and beyond 12 all about 2-3ft from where I'm feeding in 12.

My theory is that the bigger more wary fish will sit here and pick up bits, so while I keep feeding steadily in to 12 I trickle tiny amounts of hook bait in to these three zones as and when I'm fishing them. I still get some tidgers but I also pick up the expected quarry along with bigger roach.

It's one of the only times I will actively choose a dirt cheap whip over any other tackle and I will fish it dead bottom with a telltale shot close to the bait or sometimes I go a little off bottom of it's warmer. The float is the lightest pole float I can get away with, weighted right down so it's just showing.

My alternative to this is an old cheap and soft green hollow glass "boys" rod which I have had for years since getting it from a car boot when I was about 10 for I think 50p I pair this with a little Strike Right Hydraflow "pin" that was also under £1 from memory. I use 3lb line straight through and little home made common reed floats.

The whip is more effective but the old green rod and rubbish pin is loads more fun.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have never done any good with chick peas for crucians or any other fish may be i have just been unlucky using it.

I have had good catches of crucians using mini marshmallows about 10mm size the ones that they put in coffee £1 a bag from supermarkets

Large maze is another good bait, bigger and harder than sweetcorn and easy to flavour if you need too hair rig two together

barbelboi

Reaction score
Having fished the two southern 'Meccas' for big crucians over many years in the past, also gravel pits and the tricky little unfished farm/woodland ponds where I'm located now there is one thing that I believe is possibly more important than the actual bait if you want to catch the big ones. As crucians feed almost vertically I feel that unless that you have at least a couple of inches of hook length laying on the deck you are minimising your chances.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
While I'm thinking about it, the Japanese have turned Crucian fishing into an absolute art.... Called Herabuna, they use suprisingly long and incredibly decorative floats and make pastes from either wheat/semolina gluten or from powdered mash potato (smash) of all things.

The rods are really thin and flexible poles with the line fixed directly to a rope flick tip called a Lillian. The rod, landing net handle and chair rod arm are normally all made of the same very decrative bamboo and look stunning.

I quite fancy getting a Herabuna setup at some point and having a go. Follow the link below for a stylised video by Daiwa Japan

YouTube

Reaction score
And the answer to my question,no crucians don't like chick peas...;)

Lark

Reaction score
Good tench bait but never tried em for crucians.

I've had a lot of success over the years with chickpeas for tench but have never tried them for Crucians.
As a larger bait I've used strong flavoured/coloured meat cubes (chilli, garlic, paprika, pepper etc.) and paste baits to target Crucians with a fair bit of success, particularly at MF.

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm right,but I believe tee-cee used chick peas for roach,surely a crucian would pick one up,as although slightly hard the fish can crunch them easily,far easier I would have thought than hemp.

Keith M

Reaction score
I wouldn’t care if I never saw a chick pea again in my life; for me they are very hit and miss baits; and more miss than hit in my case.
I have tried them a few times for carp; many years ago; and without a lot of success.

For me they only seem passable when they are flavoured.

I know that there are anglers who seem to rate them and think they are good; and maybe they are good at times, but they are definately not a bait for me, I think there are too many more consistent and more palatable baits out there to try.

To me chick peas fall into the same category as the old par boiled potato that some anglers used for Carp back in the 50s and 60s; they caught fish very occasionally (especially if flavoured) but they were nothing to write home about.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Never tried chick peas for fish or myself. I reckon there are better baits especially for the waters I fish.
I see the odd angler I've sat beside using them, seem to catch nothing or just the odd one.
I catch a few Crucians through the season with expanders and paste from a BW water close to my home, I never target any species in particular, it's enough for me just to catch.

Reaction score
Trouble is with crucians if you don't target them,you don't get many,have to fart around with the tackle to get the best results

mikench

Reaction score
I'm only mildly curious but what and who is MF. It is mentioned in this thread and others. I assume it is a fishing venue but it could just as easily be a ladies lipstick.:rolleyes: