Strange incident

Philip

Reaction score
I was fishing on a local river a couple of evenings ago and something occurred that I have never seen before. Small Eels started to swim past me, none bigger than about a pound although there may have been others I could not see. it went on & on there must have been literally hundreds of them. It was amazing to see. Not surprisingly I also saw Chub following …probably making the most of the opportunity for a good feast.

At first i thought it was some sort of mass migration. I learnt this morning there was a pollution incident at a treatment station half a mile or so upstream.

I now think the Eels must have detected this and were trying to escape. The only thing that does not quite add for me is that they were swimming upstream –towards- the incident. I understand allot of fish were lost. Still pretty sad which ever way you look at it.

Reaction score
Sad indeed,disorientation perhaps??? Who knows...

Philip

Reaction score
Yes 100% Eels, I even netted one in the landing net there were that many of them.

rayner

Reaction score
They were definately eels, and not Lamprey you saw ?

There was an article in the Guardian regarding the Lamprey recently, nasty creatures, they do spawn in June. Apparently they were a delicacy years ago, feed on fish to the extent they die.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
There was an article in the Guardian regarding the Lamprey recently, nasty creatures, they do spawn in June. Apparently they were a delicacy years ago, feed on fish to the extent they die.

No such thing as nasty creatures other than Humans, they are all just trying to survive. Many birds, mammals and other fish also feed on fish... To the extent they die.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I saw a sea lamprey once stuck on a small weir, 3f long and greyish like an eel. They travel up rivers to spawn like salmon. I turned it over and it had a nasty sucker mouth, just about the most repellent thing I have seen in a river.

Reaction score
I saw a sea lamprey once stuck on a small weir, 3f long and greyish like an eel. They travel up rivers to spawn like salmon. I turned it over and it had a nasty sucker mouth, just about the most repellent thing I have seen in a river.

You haven't seen my mate in the river,hideous...