Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: fishing over depth

Like most others, be it river or stillwater, my starting point is over depth and then take it from there. I have been for a short session this morning, fishing pole on a small club lake. The lake is around 6ft deep and full of tench and small crucians, so the approach is, dead depth for the crucians and 2 inch over for the tench. This is the rig I used:
    fishing over depth-tench-crucian-rig.jpg

It's a 0.6g pole float carrying 8 no 8, 3 no 10 and 1 no 11, all stotz. With this amount of lead, the tip dots down to less than one eight of an inch, so I treat the tip with vaseline and it stands prouder than that, which I can then easily see, while still retaining the sensitivity. The three no 10s are droppers and I frigg about with them constantly. The bulk is 7 no 8s, about a foot from the hook. My personal preference is to close string them, which I like to think minimizes the pendulum effect and reduces tangles, but that's most likely a load of b*ll*cks. In the photo, the rig is set over depth for tench, with a no 8 tight up to the float stem and at 2 inch over depth. The next lead down, a no 11, is set at the dead depth, the crucian mark. Even with the rig overdepth you will still take crucians, you get that gradual sinking bite, so count 3 and lift the pole. I normally feed 10 to 12 expanders, through a cupping kit, every third put in. That is meant to keep the fish on the deck. If you drip feed, using a pole pot, there is every chance the fish will start to take on the drop. In that case you can restring the bulk no 8s to allow for that. The hook is a 16 Drennan silver fish spade end hook. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 09-07-2019 at 15:28.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    Variation is good, complacency is not.
    We must be ready to change, just sticking with a method that's not working is wasting time.
    True,but often bream fishing is not done dead depth,or up in the water,same as tench,you do get them both on the surface sometimes,or on the fall,but most times you take them on the bottom,so if you want a chance of catching them,that's where you've got to be,however I'm not interested in catching little roach to ensure the float goes under,or catching carp on a pellet waggler,done all of that and don't enjoy it,in fact I'd rather avoid both coming up in the water in my swim,so bait,feeding it and presentation is used to avoid them if possible,if that's your enjoyment,good on ya.
    Last edited by whitty; 09-07-2019 at 15:43.

You mentioned the fear of deep hooking perch in the original post . Most of my float fishing is for perch on the Severn , fishing mainly deeper steadier swims. I have found big perch tend to like a still bait so I generally fish around a foot over depth laying on , if you balance your tackle right this is still a pretty sensitive way of fishing . The float either lies flat or shoots off so I haven't really had to many problems with deep hooking . It's also more sensitive than tip fishing as a rule and I just really enjoy watching a float go under

Blog Entries

Small perch are a different thing when it comes to deep hooking...

Ian g: spot on. That's a great way of fishing which I really enjoy except I'm after roach.

it occurred to me ( rather later than it should have done ) that when I fish a bomb I am doing the same ( or almost ) fishing over depth and still catching.

I have read this thread a couple of times and will deffo try this fishing the pole on the silvers lake or maybe even the loaded waggler.

This really why fishing forums and this one in particular are so good !

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Like most others, be it river or stillwater, my starting point is over depth and then take it from there. I have been for a short session this morning, fishing pole on a small club lake. The lake is around 6ft deep and full of tench and small crucians, so the approach is, dead depth for the crucians and 2 inch over for the tench. This is the rig I used:
    fishing over depth-tench-crucian-rig.jpg

It's a 0.6g pole float carrying 8 no 8, 3 no 10 and 1 no 11, all stotz. With this amount of lead, the tip dots down to less than one eight of an inch, so I treat the tip with vaseline and it stands prouder than that, which I can then easily see, while still retaining the sensitivity. The three no 10s are droppers and I frigg about with them constantly. The bulk is 7 no 8s, about a foot from the hook. My personal preference is to close string them, which I like to think minimizes the pendulum effect and reduces tangles, but that's most likely a load of b*ll*cks. In the photo, the rig is set over depth for tench, with a no 8 tight up to the float stem and at 2 inch over depth. The next lead down, a no 11, is set at the dead depth, the crucian mark. Even with the rig overdepth you will still take crucians, you get that gradual sinking bite, so count 3 and lift the pole. I normally feed 10 to 12 expanders, through a cupping kit, every third put in. That is meant to keep the fish on the deck. If you drip feed, using a pole pot, there is every chance the fish will start to take on the drop. In that case you can restring the bulk no 8s to allow for that. The hook is a 16 Drennan silver fish spade end hook. Pete.
    so the 11 is set at dead depth 2 inches from the hook ?

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    so the 11 is set at dead depth 2 inches from the hook ?
    Paul. The no 11 lead is the float marker for the dead depth and in the photo it is 2 inch below the float which is set at 2 inch overdepth for tench. At the hook end the bottom shot is a number 10 set on the hook length knot. The hook lengths I use are tied at 5 inch. Between the bottom no 10 lead and the bulk of no 8s are two no 10 droppers which are spread evenly between the bulk or bulked at half way between or even added to the bulk leaving just the one dropper so basically trial and error. Pete
    Casternets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12