Monster carp

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I've actually quite enjoyed the two shows so far. There's a lot more to presenting TV shows than i think most people realise... and the cast of three that Korda use for this i think works pretty well.

My only gripe with it (and this may get solved in later episodes) is that the carp fishing depicted so far just seems to be a little bit one-dimensional. Arrive, spod out a tackle-shop's worth of bait and then start hauling. I do appreciate that the results this has produced have been pretty phenomenal.... however, i'm absolutely sure that all three of the anglers presenting this programme have solved more complex fishing challenges in the past and i'd like to see a scenario put in front of them which recognises this.

I have to say as well, i always really enjoy their short visits to other venues - rivers or match lakes etc... the competitive aspect of this comes across really well and is very much like some of the angling i do when i have two or three of my angling mates with me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I somehow doubt that the vast majority of folks on FM fit with the target demographic of Monster Carp. For a start, a fair percentage of us have nothing good to say about carp, and carp anglers, most of the time.

Then we come to the age thing. Expecting most here to like Monster Carp would get a similar response as my grandmother gave the arrival of Punk in the late seventies. I suspect that if you are a general coarse/match type angler much over forty, then Monster Carp probably isn't aimed at you.

It is what it is. I can take it or leave it. The fact that it exists doesn't bother me one jot.

Reaction score
I watch all of them,I enjoy them too,I wonder i f they would yawp on English carp waters like they do in tv.

theartist

Reaction score
I've actually quite enjoyed the two shows so far. There's a lot more to presenting TV shows than i think most people realise... and the cast of three that Korda use for this i think works pretty well.

My only gripe with it (and this may get solved in later episodes) is that the carp fishing depicted so far just seems to be a little bit one-dimensional. Arrive, spod out a tackle-shop's worth of bait and then start hauling. I do appreciate that the results this has produced have been pretty phenomenal.... however, i'm absolutely sure that all three of the anglers presenting this programme have solved more complex fishing challenges in the past and i'd like to see a scenario put in front of them which recognises this.

I have to say as well, i always really enjoy their short visits to other venues - rivers or match lakes etc... the competitive aspect of this comes across really well and is very much like some of the angling i do when i have two or three of my angling mates with me.

I've thought it's been a bit samey and it features fish after fish too much, it would be good if they visited a really hard water maybe even in winter

theartist

Reaction score
Not good tv Rob...

It works for Bob and Paul, who are lets be honest, much wittier and funnier, mind you they are professional comedians, who seem to have the tomfoolery nailed at a level that doesn't get pulled up on here. ;)

Philip

Reaction score
I have never watched it but can imagine what its like.

I suspect the presenters are good enough anglers to well know whats acceptable or not and I also imagine they would have gone to quite some trouble to ensure the image stays within reason.

At the end of the day its going to be some people on a camping holiday having some fun and with angling thrown in as well.

And whats wrong with that !

Angling is not just standing in solitude like a Gnome at the edge of a river.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“ I have never watched it but can imagine what its like. “

Me neither. But have to say in my limited experience, the carpers I encounter are nothing like those portrayed in these shows. They spend most of their time either lying or sitting beside a bivvie, quiet and almost motionless, apart when they have a spodding session launching kilograms of boilies in rocket shaped capsules.

Reaction score
Plenty of rockets being launched on monster carp,in fact 'enormous amounts'...

theartist

Reaction score
“ I have never watched it but can imagine what its like. “

Me neither. But have to say in my limited experience, the carpers I encounter are nothing like those portrayed in these shows. They spend most of their time either lying or sitting beside a bivvie, quiet and almost motionless,

I was thinking about how many times I've fished free stretches of rivers only to encounter the yob element and on certain stretches every year on the Severn, shouting, swearing and hauling keepnets full of barbel up steep banks - Then the match finishes and it all goes quiet :D

seth49

Reaction score
Have to admit, this series has been a lot better, more fishing and less silly antics, will be watching tonight.

shane99

Reaction score
The lads struggled this week which was good to see & I dont mean that in a nasty way of course. They really earned what they caught.

Reaction score
The second venue certainly made them think,30mm baits in fairly large amounts to feed off smaller species,are they carassio,anyway these fish were decent sized and more than capable of eating tiger nuts,even eating a certain amount of the big boilies,pushing them all over the place,still a little like a kids playground though,perhaps they should have a naughty step.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've thought it's been a bit samey and it features fish after fish too much, it would be good if they visited a really hard water maybe even in winter

That would be about as interesting as watching the test card, if that still existed, lol.

It would be great for insomniacs though. I could imagine a huge power surge as the all thought “F&£k this for a game of soldiers, I’m off to bed!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Just watched the first few episodes on catch up. Not as bad as I anticipated.

Angling programmes will never really be mainstream and a program dedicated to one species would by its very nature be one dimensional. So for what it was it was quite good.

shane99

Reaction score
Just watched the first few episodes on catch up. Not as bad as I anticipated.

Angling programmes will never really be mainstream and a program dedicated to one species would by its very nature be one dimensional. So for what it was it was quite good.

I find it very watchable & lets face it its a fishing programme & its on mainstream TV so really well done for getting it there. I wonder if non fishing folks watch it ? If it gets a few people looking to take it up then thats a good thing then maybe realising that other forms of angling are also available.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've seen bits of it, big chunks, in fact, but it does remind me of the Jack Hargreaves saying "What is an angler who only knows one fish and one way of catching him?"

600 metres to lay a bait by rubber dinghy, FGS? Why not just fish from a boat and have done with it?

I do find the challenge type prog with Mean Dacey a bit more interesting at times.

Philip

Reaction score
600 metres to lay a bait by rubber dinghy, FGS? Why not just fish from a boat and have done with it?

Running 40meters of line off a centerpin to float a bait down to some fish. Why not just walk closer. FGS.

Reaction score
I've seen bits of it, big chunks, in fact, but it does remind me of the Jack Hargreaves saying "What is an angler who only knows one fish and one way of catching him?"

I do find the challenge type prog with Mean Dacey a bit more interesting at times.

It is a bit excessive I must agree,but you can't rest up in your bivvie on a boat,also you aren't actually on a stable platform,yawing all over the show.

There is a slight difference Philip;),600 yards is a colossal distance and it might just have been decided to fish a venue like that just to give the viewer a different spec on carp fishing.