Monster carp

shane99

Reaction score
I do find the challenge type prog with Mean Dacey a bit more interesting at times.

I have enjoyed Dean Macey, tbh I will watch any fishing programme that comes on the TV & enjoy it.

As a kid I got quite exited about Jack Hargreaves on out of town doing a bit on fishing ..

john step

Reaction score
I wasn't going to watch this prog. but decided to give it a try. I watched 1st one on the ITV catchup site. Yes too much shouting and embarrassing cavorting for me.

What I did consider was the amount of carp caught. There was a local expert on hand. I would hazard a guess that this local had been supplied with large amounts of baits for pre baiting before the crew arrived.

Not to be surprised really as the programme makers obviously want action.

The other thing I noticed was the lack of bend in their rods when a large carp was being played. As an occasional carper I am obviously aware of varied test curves and the need for beasty rods to cast but they just seemed too stiff. Not my cup of tea.
Personally I like a more through action for playing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A quick reminder....

8pm BBC2 tonight!

Reaction score
I watched the last episode last night,they made a point of saying a carp each would be a result,right from the start,I wonder if they added that afterwards,when they ended up that way,it was ok I suppose,not keen on the 'love you bits',but is that an age thing,I don't know....

john step

Reaction score
I watched the last episode last night,they made a point of saying a carp each would be a result,right from the start,I wonder if they added that afterwards,when they ended up that way,it was ok I suppose,not keen on the 'love you bits',but is that an age thing,I don't know....

Yes the love word should be reserved for ones family mostly. Not some hairy ar$ed fishing mate. Just soppy.

steve2

Reaction score
Just watched Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing that's more my type of programme.

Reaction score
Obviously without much fishing,the programme ended far too quickly for me,sadly...

daniel121

Reaction score
I want to see more of Whitehouse and Mortimer.

I was not a fan of that, passion for angling is the ultimate and catching the impossible is the only thing that's come close but did not make it onto mainstream TV

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously without much fishing,the programme ended far too quickly for me,sadly...

Was the last series just thirty minute episodes?

Doesn’t really matter if they are fishing, the banter between them has me smiling all the way through.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
These guys are good anglers,they look after their fish,don't leave litter,have a good laugh with good friends,my issue is in the two shows this far,it's been two hours of fishing carnage,a continuous stream of good carp being caught,but look these guys have done a lot of work,getting contacts in the countries they are going to(possibly pre-baiting for them),telling them good areas and actually being there with them to assist,the amounts of what seems like continuous baiting looks obscene in a British concept,but with amounts of fish on these venues,heavy feeding is a must. One last thing,I don't think many anglers on FM would want to be within a country mile of three giggling,gawping anglers like these three...

I agree with you, however I think they are alot more serious than the program highlights. You don't get to that level by not taking your fishing seriously.

Passion captured the essence of fishing to me, the banter I can take or leave. I consider myself to be a bit chameleon in the sense of I can change banter styles to the social circle I'm in, I always have been able too doo this. I did not find either passion or monsters banter distasteful, in fact I could see myself joining in on it.

daniel121

Reaction score

I watched all the M&W, programs to the end. I was not a fan of the bad jokes and John Bailey style fishing from people with less than half his skill

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched all the M&W, programs to the end. I was not a fan of the bad jokes and John Bailey style fishing from people with less than half his skill

Did you get the essence of the programme? Mortimer hadn't fished before so had zero skills.

There must have been something about it you enjoyed having watched every minute of every episode.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Was the last series just thirty minute episodes?

Doesn’t really matter if they are fishing, the banter between them has me smiling all the way through.

Yes,I'm pretty sure it was and I agree it's the way they bounce off each other that's enjoyable,though I'm getting the impression a lot of this is scripted,Paul Whitehouse is a very capable angler,in an awful lot of disciplines.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes,I'm pretty sure it was and I agree it's the way they bounce off each other that's enjoyable,though I'm getting the impression a lot of this is scripted,Paul Whitehouse is a very capable angler,in an awful lot of disciplines.

I would guess they discuss topics to talk about pre production and ramble on in an impromptu style when the cameras are rolling.

john step

Reaction score
I would guess they discuss topics to talk about pre production and ramble on in an impromptu style when the cameras are rolling.

Yes I am sure they rehearse. I read once that for all Morcombe and Wise seemed to ad lib it was rehearsed down to the minutest detail.

steve2

Reaction score

This programme sum up for me that old saying “there is more to fishing than just catching fish”
and the reason still like the odd days fishing with friends.

daniel121

Reaction score
Did you get the essence of the programme? Mortimer hadn't fished before so had zero skills.

There must have been something about it you enjoyed having watched every minute of every episode.:rolleyes:

Oh no I got it fine, I obviously did find some enjoyment in it. It's fishing and British countryside - put those two together and I will always find something poistive. Unless fish are being mistreated, then I will turn off instantly! But to be fair, I think the only fishing program I completely dislike is Robson green's for that reason.

It just wasn't for me, I don't think it helps that I don't like either of the people or find them funny, so listening to endless babble from them was not my cup of tea.

daniel121

Reaction score
This programme sum up for me that old saying “there is more to fishing than just catching fish”
and the reason still like the odd days fishing with friends.

Yes I can see that, if you found them funny I guess it was a good programme. Shame I don't I guess

Reaction score
I watched a video on you tube,by a guy who does quite a few vids apparently,all I'm going to say is this,if I would have been there I'd have punched him straight in the gob,he was fishing on Swanage pier,he caught wrasse,pouting and a bass,he was scared stiff of the bass,but was determined to hold it up,must have dropped it onto the floor from a standing position three times,dropped several of the wrasse too,ffffing muppet

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I can see that, if you found them funny I guess it was a good programme. Shame I don't I guess

But you still watched every minute of every episode!:confused:

You speak of the people fishing in a John Bailey “style”without half the skills, it wasn't a show to teach us angling skills, and what exactly is this John Baileys style? Are you aware he is the consultant for the show?