Monster carp

seth49

Reaction score
I see the above is back on Thursday night at 8 pm on ITV 4.
Usually good for a watch, the first one there in Croatia, so should be some big carp there.
Just a shame they dumb it down to make it appeal to a wider audience.
Hamedi being the worst for this, still there’s a clown in every circus.

theartist

Reaction score
My missus likes the tom foolery on show and lets face it an hour of someone with no personality talking about pole floats or shotting patterns is not going to make good primetime TV

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's actually a pretty good fishing programme, may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is well presented, has a good narative and is entertaining. Fair play to Korda and ITV4

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want to see more of Whitehouse and Mortimer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend not to watch fishing programmes on TV as many of them appear to me to have been written by Simon Nye and directed by the likes of Martin Dennis . . . .

To my mind they all have to be compared to P4A and the vast majority come up well short . . . . or maybe I am just becoming a curmudgeonly old furt.

The salient point of P4A being that is had a huge audience of both anglers and non anglers alike . . . how many of the more modern attempts can boast the same?

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
To my mind they all have to be compared to P4A and the vast majority come up well short . . . . or maybe I am just becoming a curmudgeonly old furt.

The salient point of P4A being that is had a huge audience of both anglers and non anglers alike . . . how many of the more modern attempts can boast the same?

Not so much curmudgeonly Peter more predictable. Every time a new fishing programme is mentions it gets compared to Passion. Why is this when they are totally different and the only connection is fishing?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not so much curmudgeonly Peter more predictable. Every time a new fishing programme is mentions it gets compared to Passion. Why is this when they are totally different and the only connection is fishing?

That is because to my mind P4A is the standard to which others are compared.

I have nothing against Carp fishing and in fact spent the best part of a decade targeting them.

theartist

Reaction score
That is because to my mind P4A is the standard to which others are compared.

I have nothing against Carp fishing and in fact spent the best part of a decade targeting them.

I agree it is arguably the best fishing programme made but still don't get the need for the comparison every time, there's still room for shows that aren't as good overall if they offer something different. Bit like the Spice Girls who weren't as good as the Beatles :D

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You cannot compare the popularity of Passion with present tv shows, it was broadcast at a time satellite tv was in its infancy and the majority of households still just had the regular terrestrial channels.

benny samways

Reaction score
It is also a bit of a myth that non anglers liked Passion for Angling. Maybe angler’s partners liked it but you will struggle to find a non angler with no anglers as family who liked or even knows what Passion for Angling is.

I will watch monster carp and cant wait for the new Bob and Paul show (which really captured the magic of angling to me).

Reaction score
I watched it and the three guys take the Mick out of each other,but I don't see how it shows how carp fishing really is when they are catching virtually non-stop fish of 20-65lbs with numerous double hookups,beautiful fish though,to me the grassIes that they didn't particularly want were more interesting,also the korda philosophy of throwing enormous quantities of bait shines through(although with the amount of fish there,that is needed),a picture of Ali Hamidi's swim shows four very large bait buckets standing behind his rods....

theartist

Reaction score
I watched it and the three guys take the Mick out of each other,but I don't see how it shows how carp fishing really is when they are catching virtually non-stop fish of 20-65lbs with numerous double hookups,beautiful fish though,to me the grassIes that they didn't particularly want were more interesting,also the korda philosophy of throwing enormous quantities of bait shines through(although with the amount of fish there,that is needed),a picture of Ali Hamidi's swim shows four very large bait buckets standing behind his rods....

It is what it is, and there's clearly going to be product placement, they could have done the hard sell but don't. Funny thing is you'll get much more product 'endorsements' reading catch reports in the angling mags or watching Youtube clips

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of these recent productions make it look easy with one carp after another, I’m sure they’ll be hours of footage edited out when little was happening.

That’s one of the many reasons I enjoyed Mortimer and Whitehouse, they occasionally blanked and other times waited for a solitary fish, more the sort of fishing I identify with.

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't see the latest, but anything with "Monster" in the title suggests something crass in the conception. I've enjoyed a lot of Jeremy Wade's series, but it does often seem to turn out that the "monsters" are disappearing or endangered species, and we are in fact threatening them rather than vice versa.
Of course, a programme title may well be the invention of producers rather than anglers.

Reaction score
Apparently the three of them had 100 carp in just over 48hrs at the first venue,the second,near Zagreb seemed even more prolific...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently the three of them had 100 carp in just over 48hrs at the first venue,the second,near Zagreb seemed even more prolific...

How incredibly boring. Having said that, if I fished my Rudd venue for 48 hours I’d catch many hundreds of the little golden bars, six hours is just perfect.

Molehill

Reaction score
I watched the first half but fell asleep during it, when I woke my wife had turned it off.
Says it all really.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Watched the previous series quite entertaining haven’t watched the new one yet will have to give it a go .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I did not watch it, predictable; seen it all before and did not enjoy it that much then; probably more for the generation that dont know how to buy jeans that fit and probably will never work it out no matter how old they get! not for us old furts. The Bob and Paul show was great, not predictable at all and I doubt the next series will be. Putting two (proper) funny comedians together one experienced and one a novice then letting them get on with it was a brilliant idea. Just been reading a bit of Richards Walker book "no need to lie" and the thought came to me how much a great fishing programme that would have made. His favourite fish was roach, who would have thought that. He caught hundreds of 2lb+ fish, reading some of that on some of the locations he describes makes great reading and imagine it on TV.

Last edited: