Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster carp

Default Monster carp

I see the above is back on Thursday night at 8 pm on ITV 4.
    Usually good for a watch, the first one there in Croatia, so should be some big carp there.
    Just a shame they dumb it down to make it appeal to a wider audience.
    Hamedi being the worst for this, still there’s a clown in every circus.

Default Re: Monster carp

My missus likes the tom foolery on show and lets face it an hour of someone with no personality talking about pole floats or shotting patterns is not going to make good primetime TV

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's actually a pretty good fishing programme, may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is well presented, has a good narative and is entertaining. Fair play to Korda and ITV4

I want to see more of Whitehouse and Mortimer.

Blog Entries

I tend not to watch fishing programmes on TV as many of them appear to me to have been written by Simon Nye and directed by the likes of Martin Dennis . . . .

To my mind they all have to be compared to P4A and the vast majority come up well short . . . . or maybe I am just becoming a curmudgeonly old furt.

The salient point of P4A being that is had a huge audience of both anglers and non anglers alike . . . how many of the more modern attempts can boast the same?
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 10-07-2019 at 13:43.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post

To my mind they all have to be compared to P4A and the vast majority come up well short . . . . or maybe I am just becoming a curmudgeonly old furt.

The salient point of P4A being that is had a huge audience of both anglers and non anglers alike . . . how many of the more modern attempts can boast the same?
    Not so much curmudgeonly Peter more predictable. Every time a new fishing programme is mentions it gets compared to Passion. Why is this when they are totally different and the only connection is fishing?

They are making a second series of Bob M and Paul W..

For anyone not seen 'em some of these on the tube are OK
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    Not so much curmudgeonly Peter more predictable. Every time a new fishing programme is mentions it gets compared to Passion. Why is this when they are totally different and the only connection is fishing?
    That is because to my mind P4A is the standard to which others are compared.

I have nothing against Carp fishing and in fact spent the best part of a decade targeting them.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    That is because to my mind P4A is the standard to which others are compared.

I have nothing against Carp fishing and in fact spent the best part of a decade targeting them.
    I agree it is arguably the best fishing programme made but still don't get the need for the comparison every time, there's still room for shows that aren't as good overall if they offer something different. Bit like the Spice Girls who weren't as good as the Beatles

You cannot compare the popularity of Passion with present tv shows, it was broadcast at a time satellite tv was in its infancy and the majority of households still just had the regular terrestrial channels.

It is also a bit of a myth that non anglers liked Passion for Angling. Maybe angler’s partners liked it but you will struggle to find a non angler with no anglers as family who liked or even knows what Passion for Angling is.

I will watch monster carp and cant wait for the new Bob and Paul show (which really captured the magic of angling to me).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast