Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best bait for tench

Are mussels a good bait or are worms better?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best bait for tench

I’ve never had too much success with mussels so tend to stick to worms and/or corn, both natural and flavoured.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

If you have a particular water in mind, you might be better off asking anglers on there rather than on here, because the answer is probably "It all depends".

At that tench place you and I have been to a couple of times, seafood goes down well in the warmest months, and mussels work well. But in the spring when it's warming up, or the autumn when it's cooling down, you'll catch more tench on small baits like maggot.

As for worms, tench will take them readily - but so will everything else. Once or twice I've gone for tench with chopped worm and worm hookbait, and been dismayed to see my expensive tench bait depleted by everything but..... little roach, skimmers, small perch, you name it.

Given the choice I would always opt for worms, not because they maybe more enticing than a mussel to a tench but because I have more confidence of them staying on the hair when the small stuff is nibbling away. The mussels I get from supermarkets can be extremely fragile.

Blog Entries

I suppose it depends on what they’ve been weened on on a particular water but the baits that have been most consistent for me over the years for Tench has been (in order of preference)

Bread flake
    SweetCorn
    Redworm
    Caster
    Pellets
    Small boilies.

Ive only tried mussels a couple of times and I wasn’t bowled over by them, however I haven't really given them a proper trial.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 10-07-2019 at 15:52.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On the tench lake at Four Ponds in Devon, I've only ever caught tench with sweetcorn. Anything else pulls in good roach it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnewboy View Post
    On the tench lake at Four Ponds in Devon, I've only ever caught tench with sweetcorn. Anything else pulls in good roach it seems.
    That’s a problem I could live with.

8. Default Re: Best bait for tench

Sweet corn/Maize or Brandling worm for me. Though I remember a session years ago where I was getting loads of Tench on Tares.

Most of the waters i fish have tench and I do catch them but they are few and far between. Believe me I have asked many anglers and fellow club members about tench but the majority have never seen one or caught one. My current favourite water has a good head of tench, alledgedly, but so far they have proved elusive.

Next time out its tench or bust.

Where I fished yesterday mussels work well for the tench, worms or maggots just attract small perch etc.
    They seem to work well at the moment, if you hook through the white circle of muscle at one end, and then cut the other half of with scissors, and use that as loose feed, worked ok for me.
    I use either a size ten or twelve hook.just ordinary frozen mussels from Asda etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast