Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What would you use this float for

There is nothing like re-inventing the wheel is there? I have used(probably still got them somewhere) pole floats like these many years ago when poles first started to be used commonly.
    I have not taken any notice of pole float shapes for a long while and its a revelation that the Drennan site (Scothern) needs to state that they offer less resistance to more round bodied floats. That is so obvious. Has SO much been lost in recent years of commercial pole float fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    There is nothing like re-inventing the wheel is there? I have used(probably still got them somewhere) pole floats like these many years ago when poles first started to be used commonly.
    I have not taken any notice of pole float shapes for a long while and its a revelation that the Drennan site (Scothern) needs to state that they offer less resistance to more round bodied floats. That is so obvious. Has SO much been lost in recent years of commercial pole float fishing?

As I was reading your comment I remembered the old man had floats shaped like these back in the sixties

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    As I was reading your comment I remembered the old man had floats shaped like these back in the sixties
    Yes my recollection is that pole fishing took off in the UK about the early 70s. I bought a book by John Carding and Ken Giles called "An introduction to Continental Fishing" or similar. I met and fished with John Carding a few times but sadly he died young.

Edited.

All this talk of poles and pole floats. I have decided to go for silvers tomorrow and I will dig out my old pole. Its actually my new pole though. I bought it as recently as about 1987 I am sure there are some tares deep down in my bait freezer.
    Last edited by john step; 14-07-2019 at 12:42.

Blog Entries

John you're spot on these floats are just rehashed. I have a few Milo pole floats that I bought in the late seventies, only difference is the bristle on the Milo floats is a lot finer and the weights are a lot lower.

My late father had one a very similar shape but he never fished a pole so he must have been using it for river fishing or maybe he never used it

His was made out of cork ?

Most of his floats looked to be made out of porcupine quills

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12