What would you use this float for

bennygesserit

Reaction score
20190713_112134.jpg

Its a 2.0g pencil float with a wire stem
I bought it to fish on the canal with a whip in windy weather ( haven't tried it yet ) but what is there intended use ?

Thanks !

( Probably to catch anglers :) )

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks Sam

looks like I bought it for the correct purpose after all

mikench

Reaction score
It does so just go out and try it and remember;

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

nottskev

Reaction score

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Elizabethan poets imagined sleep as death's little counterfeit; the French gave us La petite Mort - the little death - as a euphemism for orgasm. What Frank Herbert is on about in that quote beats me :)

Going back to floats, others might not agree, but I'd think 2g is bit hefty for a canal whip float - more useful for a larger scale water such as an 8-10' river with a steady pull.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Elizabethan poets imagined sleep as death's little counterfeit; the French gave us La petite Mort - the little death - as a euphemism for orgasm. What Frank Herbert is on about in that quote beats me :)

Going back to floats, others might not agree, but I'd think 2g is bit hefty for a canal whip float - more useful for a larger scale water such as an 8-10' river with a steady pull.

I agree with you I was thinking it might be useful when its windy but with the whip yesterday I was able to cast out fully even with a much lighter float

bracket

Reaction score

Wise words Mike. Alternatively you could use my philosophy and making full use of that internationally understood English two word phrase, look it straight in the eye and say; "FO before I punch your lights out". ?????? Pete

john step

Reaction score
There is nothing like re-inventing the wheel is there? I have used(probably still got them somewhere) pole floats like these many years ago when poles first started to be used commonly.
I have not taken any notice of pole float shapes for a long while and its a revelation that the Drennan site (Scothern) needs to state that they offer less resistance to more round bodied floats. That is so obvious. Has SO much been lost in recent years of commercial pole float fishing?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There is nothing like re-inventing the wheel is there? I have used(probably still got them somewhere) pole floats like these many years ago when poles first started to be used commonly.
I have not taken any notice of pole float shapes for a long while and its a revelation that the Drennan site (Scothern) needs to state that they offer less resistance to more round bodied floats. That is so obvious. Has SO much been lost in recent years of commercial pole float fishing?

As I was reading your comment I remembered the old man had floats shaped like these back in the sixties

john step

Reaction score
As I was reading your comment I remembered the old man had floats shaped like these back in the sixties

Yes my recollection is that pole fishing took off in the UK about the early 70s. I bought a book by John Carding and Ken Giles called "An introduction to Continental Fishing" or similar. I met and fished with John Carding a few times but sadly he died young.

Edited.

All this talk of poles and pole floats. I have decided to go for silvers tomorrow and I will dig out my old pole. Its actually my new pole though. I bought it as recently as about 1987 :wh I am sure there are some tares deep down in my bait freezer.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
John you're spot on these floats are just rehashed. I have a few Milo pole floats that I bought in the late seventies, only difference is the bristle on the Milo floats is a lot finer and the weights are a lot lower.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
My late father had one a very similar shape but he never fished a pole so he must have been using it for river fishing or maybe he never used it

His was made out of cork ?

Most of his floats looked to be made out of porcupine quills