Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Does flavouring work

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    What is soluble attraction ? is that the brand name ?
    No it isn’t a brand name, lol.

What I meant was, you want something that is soluble and actually attractive to the carp.

When people add flavours to their pellets etc they are upping the levels of soluble material in the water and probably therefore increasing the ‘amount of things’ for the carp to detect.

Kikkoman tamari gluten free soy sauce would be an excellent addition to pellets. Soluble and has things in it that is actually attractive to carp, AND only costs 2:50 a bottle.

Oils are not soluble and are therefore NOT an attractor per se (they work once the carp eats it).

Blog Entries

Flavours definitely attract fish and I'm afraid oils do to,I've watched carp come to the slick of trout pellets and follow it right across the lake,so the flavour within that oil must diffuse,when I match fished I used certain flavours on my maggots,hemp flavour was good for roach and barbel,red zing worked well for chub and perch,one particular day whilst fishing Stewartby lake,near Bedford,my mate Mark Matthews and I sat next to each other in adjacent pegs,he used red zing,I used hemp flavour on the maggot,we both fished slider with identical shotting,I had 20lbs plus of roach,if I remember correctly he had over 15lbs of mainly perch,we swapped pegs and fished for another few hours,I continued to catch roach and guess what,he caught perch,I became a total believer and would only put favouring on half a pint at a time,in case I wanted to change target species during a match,obviously it wasn't totally exclusive,but in the main it worked like a dream,particularly in summer and autumn...

Just to add,I rarely,if ever use flavouring on maggots today,purely as when pleasure fishing its not so important and also flavours that I used aren't available today...
    Last edited by whitty; 16-07-2019 at 14:15.

No, oils are not an attractor, oils are not soluble: cannot be made soluble and are therefore not a soluble attractor.

They maybe able to see an oil slick and investigate that, but in chemoreception solubility is key and oils are never going to be soluble.

This is not to say oils do not improve a bait, I believe that they do, but it is an ‘after’ effect in that as the fish eat the oil in the bait it triggers a reaction that makes them eat more.

Even though oils are not soluble, they are dispersible so in a river oils will be transported by the current and possibly have more scent attraction to species like chub and barbel. I use flavour attractants in almost all my fishing.

Blog Entries

Fish are instantly attracted to trout pellets,they don't have to be pre-baited or fed in large quantities so fish accept them as food,trout pellets were far more effective when few anglers ever used them,so I must believe that the ash in the pellet is more attractive than the oils,no,I don't think so,it doesn't apply to boilies so much,the oils are sealed in with little release,even bread based groundbait release oils,I believe these have flavour and help hold fish....hemp is very oily and extremely attractive to nearly all fish...
    Last edited by whitty; 17-07-2019 at 07:52.

The only attractants I have used directly are bread yeast, did very well with it on maggots and jam, sweetcorn soaked in it is very good for bream. Tried honey a few times on bread but did not seem to make any difference. I have been meaning to get some lugworm oil for some time when I start sea fishing again.
    Indirectly "bait already infused", garlic cheese proved very good at times for a mixed species, not just chub, salmon paste which has a nice oil in it, very good for carp and the shrimp flavour was good but mainly on commercials. Also trout pellet paste, ground up and mixed with a raw egg was very very good when I was commercial fishing.
    Many years ago one of my friends got hold of something and I cannot remember the name of it for sure but I think it was called wormold or something like that and it was bloody brilliant. It had red stripes in like tooth past but I have never seen or heard of it since and no one else seems to have heard of it either.
    Experimenting with soft pellets at the moment so yet to see if they work well on rivers.
    Last edited by markg; 17-07-2019 at 05:19.

I don’t want to divert this thread, but this is semantics.

It is the fishmeal in the trout pellets that fish can detect and are attracted to.

I am not saying fish do not like oil in bait, they love it.

Oils float away in a river. They disperse off the bait and float.

An attractor is what will bring a fish to a bait, oil is not soluble and therefore cannot be an attractor.

But when a fish eats an oily bait, they like and will want to eat more and more of it (in simple terms they like the increase energy/calorific content).

Quote Originally Posted by benny samways View Post
    I don’t want to divert this thread, but this is semantics.

It is the fishmeal in the trout pellets that fish can detect and are attracted to.

I am not saying fish do not like oil in bait, they love it.

Oils float away in a river. They disperse off the bait and float.

An attractor is what will bring a fish to a bait, oil is not soluble and therefore cannot be an attractor.

But when a fish eats an oily bait, they like and will want to eat more and more of it (in simple terms they like the increase energy/calorific content).
    Semantics or whatever, if we have a bait we have faith in then we’ll use it even if the science is flawed.

Blog Entries

Oils diffuse in water,else there would be massive slicks at the windward side,continually growing,when pellets or hemp are thrown in,the oils diffuse and widen until dissapated,this the flavours in these oils get into the water,they can't not,or do they evaporate,boilie and oils are different as fish have to eat them,unless you soak them.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Oils diffuse in water,else there would be massive slicks at the windward side,continually growing,when pellets or hemp are thrown in,the oils diffuse and widen until dissapated,this the flavours in these oils get into the water,they can't not,or do they evaporate,boilie and oils are different as fish have to eat them,unless you soak them.
    Plus, in a river, oils are going to be dissipated and carried along by the river at differing rates depending on the speed of the current and not simply pop to the top like a cork!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast