Does flavouring work

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have been using Des Shipp expanders they are quite good no pump required
Des recommends flavouring , of course he does that's his job but do you think it makes any difference

Can the carp see the bait that we'll ?
Does smell travel that far in water ? I suppose so given how sharks sense their prey

Might give it a go so I have something to blame when I blank

seth49

Reaction score
When I drain the water off before I go fishing, I’ve been giving them a splash of the dynamite baits robin red oil, roach especially seem to like them.
Have tried them with and without the oil, they do seem better for it.
Roach do seem to like oils, in winter I dip my maggots in hemp oil, and see tiny movements of the float, which result in roach if lifted into, its as if there sucking the oil from the maggots.
Looking at that it might be worth trying hemp oil on the pellets, will try it tomorrow.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, some better than others. I have found a few that usually work very well although most don't came from tackle shops.

PS Benny, carp can't see the bait at all once they decide to 'hoover' up (their eyes being at the side of their head) once they start 'hoovering' something like 98% is ejected (stones, gravel, whatever, through their gills or mouth for large objects. As baits usually have a hook attached they are ending up attached to the carp as he ejects....

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
One of my fisheries wont allow hemp or tares

I have been using Dynamite swim stim pellet soak betaine green on 1mm micros for as a free offering when fishing a float for roach

I sock 1mm micros for a minute or two in pellet soak draining them off leaving them to dry out they store for mouths.

When needed rejuvenate them at home or on the bank with a drop of waters and drain then add evolution hemp oil

Des shipp 6mm & 8mm pro expanders socked in aniseed have been good for crucians this year

Soak the pellets in water drain off put the amount needed in to a tub add 2 or 3 drops of aniseed oil

I have also used clove oil

Expanders soaked in strawburry for tench

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
You only have to look at successful food baits we take for granted - Spam, corn, cheese, prawns, white bread

Or look at ones that catch fish but aren't as well known as a bait - Rice, pasta, potato

The betters ones have the stronger scent when the packet/tin is opened.

Apply that to adding flavouring and yeah that works, big time.

I also use flavouring on my maggots not just to enhance them but to mask any bad aromas, be careful though as too much can be counter productive and my spice mix can leave me looking like I work in a tanning salon or the beauty dept at Boots if I over do it :D

Philip

Reaction score
Soluble attraction is what you want, Carp basically forage and feed in mud and silt so flavour/taste is not really an issue for them

I know what you mean but in the context of silt feeding Rod Hutchinson wrote some really interesting pieces about silt feeding Carp and the conclusion he reached was that movement was more important than scent so he fished for silt feeders with baits such as worms and maggots rather than inert smelly baits like boiles.

On the flip side if you are going to use a smelly bait in silt or mud then its worth considering the base its going to be fished on as well as the smelll or flavour itself. For example I would much prefer to use a birdfood /seed based base to carry a flavour in a muddy or silty enviroment than say a fishmeal base.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Quite a number of times in the distant past we've covered bait flavours and colours on here. What we consider nice to smell and eat may be different to what the fish expects. Example, they say that pineapple is a very good flavour to use, but that red is one of the best colours to attract fish; so why don't we see red coloured pineapple flavoured boilies? It's because we humans expect pineapples to be yellow coloured.

To your question, if you think that a certain flavour would attract fish, try it and see. If you catch all well and good because that will give you confidence. It it fails, could that be for a another reason entirely, or is it something that really repels fish?

Bear this in mind. An oil will float to the surface, is that what you want? Sometimes that will work as it will spread around as it's floating upwards especially if fish are by then swimming around the bait. If you're using Sonu expanders then why not try some of their new flavour additives, not bad at less than £8 for 500ml. -

Sonu bait booster.jpg

benny samways

Reaction score
What is soluble attraction ? is that the brand name ?

No it isn’t a brand name, lol.

What I meant was, you want something that is soluble and actually attractive to the carp.

When people add flavours to their pellets etc they are upping the levels of soluble material in the water and probably therefore increasing the ‘amount of things’ for the carp to detect.

Kikkoman tamari gluten free soy sauce would be an excellent addition to pellets. Soluble and has things in it that is actually attractive to carp, AND only costs 2:50 a bottle.

Oils are not soluble and are therefore NOT an attractor per se (they work once the carp eats it).

Reaction score
Flavours definitely attract fish and I'm afraid oils do to,I've watched carp come to the slick of trout pellets and follow it right across the lake,so the flavour within that oil must diffuse,when I match fished I used certain flavours on my maggots,hemp flavour was good for roach and barbel,red zing worked well for chub and perch,one particular day whilst fishing Stewartby lake,near Bedford,my mate Mark Matthews and I sat next to each other in adjacent pegs,he used red zing,I used hemp flavour on the maggot,we both fished slider with identical shotting,I had 20lbs plus of roach,if I remember correctly he had over 15lbs of mainly perch,we swapped pegs and fished for another few hours,I continued to catch roach and guess what,he caught perch,I became a total believer and would only put favouring on half a pint at a time,in case I wanted to change target species during a match,obviously it wasn't totally exclusive,but in the main it worked like a dream,particularly in summer and autumn...

Just to add,I rarely,if ever use flavouring on maggots today,purely as when pleasure fishing its not so important and also flavours that I used aren't available today...

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
No, oils are not an attractor, oils are not soluble: cannot be made soluble and are therefore not a soluble attractor.

They maybe able to see an oil slick and investigate that, but in chemoreception solubility is key and oils are never going to be soluble.

This is not to say oils do not improve a bait, I believe that they do, but it is an ‘after’ effect in that as the fish eat the oil in the bait it triggers a reaction that makes them eat more.

John Keane

Reaction score
Even though oils are not soluble, they are dispersible so in a river oils will be transported by the current and possibly have more scent attraction to species like chub and barbel. I use flavour attractants in almost all my fishing.

Reaction score
Fish are instantly attracted to trout pellets,they don't have to be pre-baited or fed in large quantities so fish accept them as food,trout pellets were far more effective when few anglers ever used them,so I must believe that the ash in the pellet is more attractive than the oils,no,I don't think so,it doesn't apply to boilies so much,the oils are sealed in with little release,even bread based groundbait release oils,I believe these have flavour and help hold fish....hemp is very oily and extremely attractive to nearly all fish...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The only attractants I have used directly are bread yeast, did very well with it on maggots and jam, sweetcorn soaked in it is very good for bream. Tried honey a few times on bread but did not seem to make any difference. I have been meaning to get some lugworm oil for some time when I start sea fishing again.
Indirectly "bait already infused", garlic cheese proved very good at times for a mixed species, not just chub, salmon paste which has a nice oil in it, very good for carp and the shrimp flavour was good but mainly on commercials. Also trout pellet paste, ground up and mixed with a raw egg was very very good when I was commercial fishing.
Many years ago one of my friends got hold of something and I cannot remember the name of it for sure but I think it was called wormold or something like that and it was bloody brilliant. It had red stripes in like tooth past but I have never seen or heard of it since and no one else seems to have heard of it either.
Experimenting with soft pellets at the moment so yet to see if they work well on rivers.

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
I don’t want to divert this thread, but this is semantics.

It is the fishmeal in the trout pellets that fish can detect and are attracted to.

I am not saying fish do not like oil in bait, they love it.

Oils float away in a river. They disperse off the bait and float.

An attractor is what will bring a fish to a bait, oil is not soluble and therefore cannot be an attractor.

But when a fish eats an oily bait, they like and will want to eat more and more of it (in simple terms they like the increase energy/calorific content).

John Keane

Reaction score
I don’t want to divert this thread, but this is semantics.

It is the fishmeal in the trout pellets that fish can detect and are attracted to.

I am not saying fish do not like oil in bait, they love it.

Oils float away in a river. They disperse off the bait and float.

An attractor is what will bring a fish to a bait, oil is not soluble and therefore cannot be an attractor.

But when a fish eats an oily bait, they like and will want to eat more and more of it (in simple terms they like the increase energy/calorific content).

Semantics or whatever, if we have a bait we have faith in then we’ll use it even if the science is flawed.

Reaction score
Oils diffuse in water,else there would be massive slicks at the windward side,continually growing,when pellets or hemp are thrown in,the oils diffuse and widen until dissapated,this the flavours in these oils get into the water,they can't not,or do they evaporate,boilie and oils are different as fish have to eat them,unless you soak them.

John Keane

Reaction score
Oils diffuse in water,else there would be massive slicks at the windward side,continually growing,when pellets or hemp are thrown in,the oils diffuse and widen until dissapated,this the flavours in these oils get into the water,they can't not,or do they evaporate,boilie and oils are different as fish have to eat them,unless you soak them.

Plus, in a river, oils are going to be dissipated and carried along by the river at differing rates depending on the speed of the current and not simply pop to the top like a cork!