Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does flavouring work

I have been using Des Shipp expanders they are quite good no pump required
    Des recommends flavouring , of course he does that's his job but do you think it makes any difference

Can the carp see the bait that we'll ?
    Does smell travel that far in water ? I suppose so given how sharks sense their prey

Might give it a go so I have something to blame when I blank

Default Re: Does flavouring work

When I drain the water off before I go fishing, I’ve been giving them a splash of the dynamite baits robin red oil, roach especially seem to like them.
    Have tried them with and without the oil, they do seem better for it.
    Roach do seem to like oils, in winter I dip my maggots in hemp oil, and see tiny movements of the float, which result in roach if lifted into, its as if there sucking the oil from the maggots.
    Looking at that it might be worth trying hemp oil on the pellets, will try it tomorrow.

Yes, some better than others. I have found a few that usually work very well although most don't came from tackle shops.

PS Benny, carp can't see the bait at all once they decide to 'hoover' up (their eyes being at the side of their head) once they start 'hoovering' something like 98% is ejected (stones, gravel, whatever, through their gills or mouth for large objects. As baits usually have a hook attached they are ending up attached to the carp as he ejects....
    Last edited by barbelboi; 15-07-2019 at 13:34.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

One of my fisheries wont allow hemp or tares

I have been using Dynamite swim stim pellet soak betaine green on 1mm micros for as a free offering when fishing a float for roach

I sock 1mm micros for a minute or two in pellet soak draining them off leaving them to dry out they store for mouths.

When needed rejuvenate them at home or on the bank with a drop of waters and drain then add evolution hemp oil

Des shipp 6mm & 8mm pro expanders socked in aniseed have been good for crucians this year

Soak the pellets in water drain off put the amount needed in to a tub add 2 or 3 drops of aniseed oil

I have also used clove oil

Expanders soaked in strawburry for tench
    Last edited by chrissh; 15-07-2019 at 20:13.
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

You only have to look at successful food baits we take for granted - Spam, corn, cheese, prawns, white bread

Or look at ones that catch fish but aren't as well known as a bait - Rice, pasta, potato

The betters ones have the stronger scent when the packet/tin is opened.

Apply that to adding flavouring and yeah that works, big time.

I also use flavouring on my maggots not just to enhance them but to mask any bad aromas, be careful though as too much can be counter productive and my spice mix can leave me looking like I work in a tanning salon or the beauty dept at Boots if I over do it

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    or tears
    They wouldn't want me then.

Soluble attraction is what you want, Carp basically forage and feed in mud and silt so flavour/taste is not really an issue for them

Quote Originally Posted by benny samways View Post
    Soluble attraction is what you want, Carp basically forage and feed in mud and silt so flavour/taste is not really an issue for them

What is soluble attraction ? is that the brand name ?

Quote Originally Posted by benny samways View Post
    I know what you mean but in the context of silt feeding Rod Hutchinson wrote some really interesting pieces about silt feeding Carp and the conclusion he reached was that movement was more important than scent so he fished for silt feeders with baits such as worms and maggots rather than inert smelly baits like boiles.

On the flip side if you are going to use a smelly bait in silt or mud then its worth considering the base its going to be fished on as well as the smelll or flavour itself. For example I would much prefer to use a birdfood /seed based base to carry a flavour in a muddy or silty enviroment than say a fishmeal base.

Blog Entries

Quite a number of times in the distant past we've covered bait flavours and colours on here. What we consider nice to smell and eat may be different to what the fish expects. Example, they say that pineapple is a very good flavour to use, but that red is one of the best colours to attract fish; so why don't we see red coloured pineapple flavoured boilies? It's because we humans expect pineapples to be yellow coloured.

To your question, if you think that a certain flavour would attract fish, try it and see. If you catch all well and good because that will give you confidence. It it fails, could that be for a another reason entirely, or is it something that really repels fish?

Bear this in mind. An oil will float to the surface, is that what you want? Sometimes that will work as it will spread around as it's floating upwards especially if fish are by then swimming around the bait. If you're using Sonu expanders then why not try some of their new flavour additives, not bad at less than £8 for 500ml. -

Does flavouring work-sonu-bait-booster.jpg
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast