Reel drag not working properly

vasmasta

Reaction score
Hi, I recently lost what could have been a trophy fish due to this problem :(

My reel drag isnt working as it should, i have to really loosen it up for it to work when i get a fish on but then when i real in it just spinning like crazy and i cant get much line on the spool but as soon as i tighten it up it just wont drag

Reel is on its 3d year, kept in good condition etc..

I have googled some stuff but i cant seem to find a solid fix

Any ideas please?

EDIT: will update my reel full details when i get home from work

Last edited:

vasmasta

Reaction score
my bad, should have really posted more details, will update this thread when i get home from work as i dont quite remember off to of my head. I know its a daiwa reel

I use it on my feeder rod, to fish on the river for bream but i think i may have broken it just before river season started i went on the lake to fish for bream but spotted carp being active and feeding near buy and i started using my feeder rod to catch carp, i caught about 7 carp that day up to 10 lb. I am not sure if the reel is meant to be used for that purpose, maybe that's what messed up with my drag :( but the reel seems solid so i am not too sure

I will post all details when i get home

thank you

valetudoguy

Reaction score
There are a few different reel drag systems, however I will post this here as front drag is fairly common. I do something similar on most of my front drag reels as this video and most of my reels are well over 3 years old and going strong... more like 15-25 for at least half of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unVmdINjbHk

rich66

Reaction score
I know some of the better quality Daiwa front drag reels have quick drag. Which basically quarter of a turn goes from freespool to tight.
I’ve a Daiwa ninja and have had carp to 16lb quite a few 3-7lbs on it and it’s been fine.

Just a thought have you a spare spool for it and does it have the same problem

Last edited:

vasmasta

Reaction score
Thanks for you responses

I do have a spare spool, i should have really tested all this before posting sorry....Just a bit frustrated this morning as i lost that fish yesterday evening. Snapped 5lb hook length right bang on in the middle, but that could have been probably me over tighten drag i am not sure i panicked a bit lol... however its deffo not working as it should, i have tested it with smaller fish and just by hand.

Will check everything out after work and post update

edit: what reel grease do you use guys? can you use normal bike chain oil??? or does it have to be something specific

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
To find anyone on the forum who may be familiar with the problem you must quote the make, size and model name of the reel and if it's a front or rear drag if the name doesn't make this obvious.

rayner

Reaction score
After hooking a fish tighten up and back wind or buy another reel, have you contacted Daiwa.