Preventing sun/heat stroke

Stalker

Reaction score
Bit of an odd one this (or maybe not)...

I seem to have become VERY susceptible to heat/sun stroke over the last couple of years, despite keeping well hydrated, always wearing a hat (even in dull weather) and sensible clothing, slapping on high factor sun cream, etc etc.

The simple answer is "just avoid the sun" of course, but that's a bit difficult in some of the places I fish where the only way I can avoid the sun is to basically not go fishing. Which, obviously, isn't really an option in the summer.

I can invest in a large umbrella, but as someone who typically likes to stay mobile and mooch around, that's something I would only use occasionally.

Any tips from other sufferers?

mikench

Reaction score
You can buy parasols, clothes and hats that repel uv rays. Loose fitting clothes, hats which allow airflow, flip flops/ sandals( no socks) shorts all help keep you cool. A battery fan can also help and there are a few which are solar powered.

Keep in the shade whenever possible. I love the sun but an hour in it at 30c is more than enough for me. I pick venues with shade even if the fishing isn't optimum but then when is it when the sun is glaring down.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t agree about flip flops and sandals when fishing Mike, unless it’s the beach of course:cool:

With high temperatures forecast for next week I shall spend a day fishing at Fordwich in this swim which remains in shade all day but allows just enough height for an 11ft rod.

FSiu0W0.jpg

Last edited:

Stalker

Reaction score
Keep in the shade whenever possible. I love the sun but an hour in it at 30c is more than enough for me. I pick venues with shade even if the fishing isn't optimum but then when is it when the sun is glaring down.

That's often the problem, though - due to either the orientation and/or lack of shade giving areas in a lot of the places I fish, keeping in the shade isn't really an option - it's a case of avoiding them altogether between May and September. Which I don't really want to do.

rayner

Reaction score
The sun is a real pain for me, it seems like I at the hospital monthly with sun damage. Keratosis and so many different variations have been removed. I'm continually getting warnings from the staff.
Normally I would stay home in bright weather but this year I've decided I need to fish more because I feel time is running out for me.
I do the normal hat and sun cream with the strongest factor 50. Where I fish there's exactly no shade.
I'm continually sweating my naggers off but need to stay covered, the only part of me visible is my face and hands. I take 4lts of water, obligatory sun glasses of course.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
First and foremost a good wide brim hat is essential as well as loose-fitting clothing and plenty to drink.

I suffer slightly the same myself so always have a brolly with me to provide necessary shade where none other exists.

Hope this helps . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
I mentioned parasols ( the garden variety)as they are light and can be hand held. My Preston brolly provides uv protection and if you can set it up and pin it down away from you you can provide shade without restricting movement. Some venues are not worth gong to in intense heat and sunshine hence my reference to those which give shade but not optimum fishing.

I have seen people under a gazebo fishing on a couple of venues.

John Keane

Reaction score
I slap Factor 50 on (used to wear surgical gloves to do it to avoid tainting bait) and then wipe hands off with fragrance-free wet wipes. Tilley hat, long sleeved shirt and trousers. If it gets extreme I put the brolly up.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I’m 50 this year and I feel the heat more than ever. I’ve always been sensitive to the sun but now even fully covered, factor 50 and a hat doesn’t stop me feeling wiped out after a day in the sun

Only a brolly helps if I’m fishing on the exposed reservoir I’ve been on recently

I forgot to cream up before baiting up earlier in the year and got badly burned. As I get older I’m worrying more and more about the dangers of getting burned so I won’t be making the same mistake again

Stalker

Reaction score
I’m 50 this year and I feel the heat more than ever. I’ve always been sensitive to the sun but now even fully covered, factor 50 and a hat doesn’t stop me feeling wiped out after a day in the sun

I'm not quite as...less young as you (I'm 40), but it's exactly the same for me in that full covering, hat, cream, sunglasses, plenty of liquids etc just don't seem to do anything to prevent it now. I was at a lake all day Tuesday and my swim had the worst of the afternoon sun for a good three hours and the next day I had a thumping headache and felt sick, despite being well prepped for it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can't help feeling you really need to find some shady spots on hot days. Sunstroke, headaches etc, not a good alternative.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s important for us all to remember that when fishing we get a double dose of rays with reflections from the water.

Also not to get caught out on cloudy days, my last trip as described on HDYGO was thick cloud cover all day but I still went home having caught the rays.

john step

Reaction score
Can’t agree about flip flops and sandals when fishing Mike, unless it’s the beach of course:cool:

With high temperatures forecast for next week I shall spend a day fishing at Fordwich in this swim which remains in shade all day but allows just enough height for an 11ft rod.

FSiu0W0.jpg

Looks a good spot.

Regarding umbrellas. I put mine up to give shade. I think the extra weight involved is well worth it to to be comfortable.
The bonus I have found with a brolly is when fishing a spot on a shallow river or lake margin where the fish are easy to spook a brolly behind hides the skyline and the fish dont spook. Try it . It works. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
You cant roam with an umbrella though

You know those novelty umbrella hats you see at places like the cricket with the little parasol brolly attached to a headband, I reckon they would be the norm if everyone wore one, It's like a parasol but hands free and seems win win to me aside from windy days, never worn one, mind you I've worn worse - Will look for a camo one ;)

john step

Reaction score
You cant roam with an umbrella though

You know those novelty umbrella hats you see at places like the cricket with the little parasol brolly attached to a headband, I reckon they would be the norm if everyone wore one, It's like a parasol but hands free and seems win win to me aside from windy days, never worn one, mind you I've worn worse - Will look for a camo one ;)

Yes, dont forget to buy one with a chinstrap to prevent it sailing off downstream. I just chuckle at the mental image of some twonkle wearing one. However on reflection better not mock as Fairbrass will probably market one soon.:wh

Molehill

Reaction score
Yes, dont forget to buy one with a chinstrap to prevent it sailing off downstream. I just chuckle at the mental image of some twonkle wearing one. However on reflection better not mock as Fairbrass will probably market one soon.:wh

Hmm, with your made up hair rigs dangling off the brim (like those Aussie hats) aussie hats with corks - Google Search and the corks protecting the hooks.

Perhaps I better get onto it!

theartist

Reaction score
Yes, dont forget to buy one with a chinstrap to prevent it sailing off downstream. I just chuckle at the mental image of some twonkle wearing one.

I am so tempted, It would probably guarantee no numpties setting up opposite me especially if I shout out "ARE WE FRIENDS I LIKE YOU" :D