Size isn’t everything!

mikench

Reaction score
It never was but using unsuitable tools, gear or any item in fact is fine when needs must , but I feel one should use gear befitting the task.

I reckon, even with my very limited experience of barbel or Chub that the rod, reel, bankstick and tube would be gone if a decent sized fish took the bait. The reel didn't look like a baitrunner and I'm sure the bail arm was closed.

He enjoyed it , no fish were harmed so that's all that matters I suppose.

john step

Reaction score
Didn't Des Taylor bring out a pocket pencil rod a year or two ago.? I dont think it made him megabucks.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Looks like an ice fishing rod, certainly doable as proven and perhaps even useful in certain swims (with better ring design on the small rod).... but where a longer rod is useable, I would ask why bother?

nottskev

Reaction score
I watched this with mixed feelings. I like trying to catch chub from a local small river on scaled-down gear or in unlikely places.
But you'll get one or, if you're very lucky, two. I had an impression that this may be what you end up doing when you're lucky enough to have a tiny river full of easy chub and barbel and can afford to mess about.

theartist

Reaction score
It's always fun messing about on a tiny river although it looks a decent size compared to some in these parts. Whats to say that it isn't an easy river perhaps the guy is actually very skilled and is it a mistake to judge the water or the angler just by the gear used on the day?

john step

Reaction score
and is it a mistake to judge the water or the angler just by the gear used on the day?

Reminds me of the time I was on holiday in Dorset and I had with me my kit of tele rods and small box of holiday gear complete with tiny seat and folding trout net.

Having obtained a day pass I went to a day ticket fishery at Tincleton.

I walked past some regulars to the end of an island. I could feel the looks as I walked past. They seemed to content to be staring at inert floats.

I quickly tackled up and using sliced bread flake on a small bomb started to empty the lake of its carp. A couple of them almost tripped over themselves at the first rod bend to assist me to net it.

I just thanked them and said it was OK. A little offended at first then just a little amused actually thereafter.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve watched a lot of Chris’s videos, he comes across as a competent, experienced and responsible angler.

His videos are very well made and little wonder he has 28k subscribers.

theartist

Reaction score
I’ve watched a lot of Chris’s videos, he comes across as a competent, experienced and responsible angler.

His videos are very well made and little wonder he has 28k subscribers.

He looked like he was doing everything right as there was references to his feed being eaten and he was in the water at times. I tell you what you do this in summer and get to spots where there's foliage either side then you're going to have a field day catching fish that are shoaled up in unfished spots, brings back memories of a few rivers even if I could only dream of that much water coming down. He'd be unlucky NOT to catch 10lb of fish in a short session on an average river doing this

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't question the angler's competence or experience - but I'd maintain the point that fishing for chub and barbel with a novelty item rod is a decadent business _ ie a sign of luxury taken for granted - which works because the water is prolific. There are plenty of competent and experienced anglers round here who can only get a barbel bite on a night-time stake-out, plenty of river stretches where you'll fish for them in vain or with scant success, and I can't think where you can walk about in the margins and expect to find the target species swimming around between your rod rest and tripod. I watched a video with, I think, Dean Macey, catching barbel after barbel after barbel on a similar-looking water, and the video consisted more or less entirely of him and friend reeling barbel in, since the only challenge seemed to be getting a bait in the water. It reminded me of the kind of angler who, faced with a water full of easily catchable fish, shows off by catching them on preposterous baits or silly methods. I won't be subscribing.

theartist

Reaction score
I didn't question the angler's competence or experience - but I'd maintain the point that fishing for chub and barbel with a novelty item rod is a decadent business _ ie a sign of luxury taken for granted - which works because the water is prolific. There are plenty of competent and experienced anglers round here who can only get a barbel bite on a night-time stake-out, plenty of river stretches where you'll fish for them in vain or with scant success, and I can't think where you can walk about in the margins and expect to find the target species swimming around between your rod rest and tripod. I watched a video with, I think, Dean Macey, catching barbel after barbel after barbel on a similar-looking water, and the video consisted more or less entirely of him and friend reeling barbel in, since the only challenge seemed to be getting a bait in the water. It reminded me of the kind of angler who, faced with a water full of easily catchable fish, shows off by catching them on preposterous baits or silly methods. I won't be subscribing.

Each to their own, I wont subscribe either but liked it, nowt wrong with decadance in a pastime that takes itself too seriously at times, although you could easily replace decadance with flamboyance or eccentricity, I would also still contest how the water shown has 'easily catchable fish', hope it's not because he isn't using 2k worth of gear. If you know the river then I will stand corrected otherwise were both just making assumptions and overlooking what is in essence just a bit of fun.

nottskev

Reaction score
How do I know the river has easily catchable fish? Well, of course, I can't be sure.... but I watched the video. There seemed to be plenty of them, they didn't look spooked by a bloke cavorting in the water with them, they came to the feed pretty rapidly and he quickly caught a few. Apart from that, it was just an assumption, but these aren't usually the signs of a difficult river. :) And nothing to do with the cost of his kit, although I've no idea what his camera gear might have cost him.

theartist

Reaction score
Haha I'm guessing his camera gear cost more than my entire set up, which is one of the issues I have with basic gear sometimes you get judged by this I know I do with my stool and rucksack, sometimes I wear my drennan cup hat just to confuse the match guys down the canal :D

Also some rivers get judged too I know some easy ones some proper hard like everyone else. I'm giving him the benefit of doubt on that one as he actually sounds surprised that he's got a good chub or barbel on. Also I've waded out on rivers like that and the fish can be caught under the tip and can be seen doing so when you put the hard yards in, that's your rewards. Seen that first hand on rivers like the Teme, Tone, Chew, Brue and others which bring back fond memories. Only this week I was on a big river (The Severn) and the fish were under my rod tip in view as I was on the opposite bank taking a good mile walk to be on the opposite bank to a well fished swim.

Bottom line is many think that he's got a toy rod and catching so it must be an easy river when he could actually be out fishing the static angler who is fishing the car park peg round the corner with a multiple rod set up. I'd like to think he's caught well by thinking outside the box, the rod is a gimmick granted but looks fun, he could easily have done that on an average river

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your last sentence says a lot Rob.

The guy has 28 thousand subscribers and will be making money, just look at Carl and Alex who have recently given up their day jobs to become full time video makers for YouTube, obviously good money can be made.

So yes, gimmicky ideas outside the box are a necessity to draw in the viewers and importantly keep them watching for the length of time required to generate advertising revenue.

Had me watching, I enjoyed it, done much the same myself just a few hours ago walking the Stour in Canterbury with a six foot one piece rod and a few cheap Chinese £1-50 lures , two follows but no chub though.:( but it is a fun way to enjoy a couple of hours.

theartist

Reaction score
I get Kevs and your viewpoints, think i'm somewhere in between. Either way I'm wishing I was in that river it looks pretty inviting to me with nice flows. reminds me of a slightly smaller version of your Stour stretch with all that lush weed and clear water - gorgeous

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I get Kevs and your viewpoints, think i'm somewhere in between. Either way I'm wishing I was in that river it looks pretty inviting to me with nice flows. reminds me of a slightly smaller version of your Stour stretch with all that lush weed and clear water - gorgeous

Today’s visit was the first for a week or two, yes the water is gin clear but it’s totally choked with weed, virtually unfishable. There are a very small number of barbel in a stretch which is difficult to access and they are very elusive, I feel a sense of achievement having seen one let alone catch one, maybe one day!

The bankside vegetation is thick with nettle and bramble over 6ft high in places making the river just a couple of metres wide in some sections, the fish have an abundance of cover and should prosper this season.