Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Size isn’t everything!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Size isn’t everything!

Madness,fun,but still madness...

It never was but using unsuitable tools, gear or any item in fact is fine when needs must , but I feel one should use gear befitting the task.

I reckon, even with my very limited experience of barbel or Chub that the rod, reel, bankstick and tube would be gone if a decent sized fish took the bait. The reel didn't look like a baitrunner and I'm sure the bail arm was closed.

He enjoyed it , no fish were harmed so that's all that matters I suppose.

I see nothing wrong with that at all, looks fun nothing like a challenge

Didn't Des Taylor bring out a pocket pencil rod a year or two ago.? I dont think it made him megabucks.

6. Default Re: Size isn’t everything!

Looks like an ice fishing rod, certainly doable as proven and perhaps even useful in certain swims (with better ring design on the small rod).... but where a longer rod is useable, I would ask why bother?

I watched this with mixed feelings. I like trying to catch chub from a local small river on scaled-down gear or in unlikely places.
    But you'll get one or, if you're very lucky, two. I had an impression that this may be what you end up doing when you're lucky enough to have a tiny river full of easy chub and barbel and can afford to mess about.

It's always fun messing about on a tiny river although it looks a decent size compared to some in these parts. Whats to say that it isn't an easy river perhaps the guy is actually very skilled and is it a mistake to judge the water or the angler just by the gear used on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    and is it a mistake to judge the water or the angler just by the gear used on the day?
    Reminds me of the time I was on holiday in Dorset and I had with me my kit of tele rods and small box of holiday gear complete with tiny seat and folding trout net.

Having obtained a day pass I went to a day ticket fishery at Tincleton.

I walked past some regulars to the end of an island. I could feel the looks as I walked past. They seemed to content to be staring at inert floats.

I quickly tackled up and using sliced bread flake on a small bomb started to empty the lake of its carp. A couple of them almost tripped over themselves at the first rod bend to assist me to net it.

I just thanked them and said it was OK. A little offended at first then just a little amused actually thereafter.

I’ve watched a lot of Chris’s videos, he comes across as a competent, experienced and responsible angler.

His videos are very well made and little wonder he has 28k subscribers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast