Rod Quivers

nottskev

Reaction score
I've got a couple of quivers for carrying made-up rods, a Drennan and an NGT, and they're ok but have one fault in common. If you put rods with reels on the "outside", held at top and bottom of the quiver, the reels flop about and knock into each other and anything else nearby. The answer would be a built-in velcro'ed band or similar to hold the reels apart and still, but I haven't seen a quiver with this feature. Do they exist? I only need to carry 2 rods max, so I don't want a large item.

I know you can wrap separate bands around the quiver etc, but I find I can more or less immediately lose items like velcro bands, tip protectors etc, so I'd prefer a fixture.

benny samways

Reaction score
Padded reel pouches are the way round this if I am getting what you are saying.

ESP do smaller ones for up to 4000 size reels and the Thinking Anglers ones are good for bigger reels (obviously these would take the smaller reels too but they are quite bulky).

I think Gardner might do a quiver with reel bits on come to think of it....

john step

Reaction score
I have not got one myself but I have seen pictures in brochures where each rod and reel is in its own sleeve and then those sleeves fit into the quiver.

nottskev

Reaction score
I could combine these suggestions and knit myself a reel pouch :)

I'm trying to avoid any separate bits - I can lose them within minutes of unpacking the gear.

I've got an old quiver here that I got 15 years ago for next to nothing at some angling show - a Nash Space Shuttle. I cut off miles of unwanted roll-up fabric, and it left a main compartment with two deep pouches into which you can drop the butt of the rod and the reels disappear down inside the pouch. Brilliant, but they only fit if you fold the handles down, and that means fiddling about a lot to get the line tension on your made-up rod right and the reel handles in the right position to fold down. Maybe I should revert to that.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use rod quivers all of the time these days but I carry my 2 piece rods on the outside of my rod quivers in protective rod sleeves so I don’t get the problem of my rods and reels banging together.

Whenever I buy a 2 piece rod which doesn’t come with a rod sleeve I will also buy a rod sleeve for it to go in.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
As well as my rod Quivers and rod sleeves I also have a couple of abbreviated rod Quivers for when I want to carry a single rod on its own, (these come with detachable shoulder straps not shown in pic) or I can carry them in a normal Quiver protecting the reels.

I think they were made by Wychwood or Chub, but I’m not sure because they don’t have any logos on them.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and illustrations. Here's the one I mentioned, with the deep pouches. You can see that it does a good job of containing and protecting your reels; a bit wider at the top and you wouldn't need to fold the handles in