The fishing tackle market

mikench

Reaction score
I often wonder what the turnover is of manufacturers for particular markets and how it breaks down between rods for particular countries.

Excluding Shimano, Diawa and Okuma how many rods do Maver for example, have to sell to make a range profitable. Drennan sell in Europe but on the internet mostly either from the U.K or European agents . In another thread Sam Vimes mentioned a recent range of rods by Maver and Garbolino which looked very good, had a price point around £200 but were not stocked in Tackle shops so couldn't be dabbled with.

Would you buy such a rod from the net, unseen and without someone whose opinion you valued recommending it? I wouldn't At Several hundred pounds. How are they sold then?

mikench

Reaction score
Maybe but would you spend £200 or so on a rod which looks and feels good at a fair but about which you know little or nothing. I suspect if I was in the market for such a rod I'd buy, say, an Acolyte or a second hand rod of known quality and finesse.

I might be tempted at half that price or less though!

nottskev

Reaction score
Garbolino list around 100 UK stockists on their website, many of them large well-known shops. As a French-based company, now in some other "group", with a European market, their presence or absence in shops may reflect that they don't sell that many rods over here. Would I buy a rod at a tackle fair which looked and felt good - yes, indeed, especially if it was from a famous brand such as Garbolino. I'm not a big believer in the froth of "branding", but I guess one of the main ideas is to give customers confidence in quality, and the few items I've had from that company, starting with a glass pole in the infancy of pole-fishing, have been very good. Without intending mischief, I can say I'd go for the Garbolino over the Acolyte on the grounds that you can know too much about some products.

morston1

Reaction score
Maver also make some very good rods which are stocked in several places.

I bought a Maver Abyss 2000 a few years ago and it has served me well.

Recently I bought a Maver pro signature 14ft rod, which was about £200....another very good rod.

My local tackle dealer is Benwicks and they stock a huge range of rods.

I also have a couple of Tricast rods from them....it is often difficult to find Tricast rods in stock anywhere but it does not stop them selling!

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I bought the wife a 12ft Mitchell commercial Float rod for £15 at a Tackle show once thinking it would be ok for her, and it turned out to be a cracking rod which I’ve occasionally used myself when trotting for Barbel (see pic)

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I must try that tactic Keith! :) " What another rod" . No dear it's a little token of my love for you!

d.owens

Reaction score
Consumer habits have drastically altered, I am a cyclist and know numerous people who have bought expensive bikes from t'internet. I could never imagine buying a bike that I had never tested and tried for size. Given the power of the angling press and internet reviews etc, I imagine thousands of rods could be sold worldwide purely based upon branding.
Using the cycling reference again, many carbon frames are manufactured in one far eastern factory, for numerous brands. I wonder how many different branded rods are manufactured in the same facility?

sam vimes

Reaction score
In the main, you can find the vast majority of brands and rods in a tackle shop somewhere. However, you won't find every example in every shop. If you really wish to see as much as possible, in the flesh, you are going to have to travel. Only if you are lucky enough to live near some exceptional tackle shops is that not going to be the case.

If I want to see the broadest selection possible, I drive the fifty miles to Bobco (not that I do so much more than once a year now). I've seen top end Daiwa, Tricast, Browning, Drennan, Shimano (when there were top end Shimano rods), Guru, MAP, Preston, Maver and Garbolino all in the same trip. Just to see a fraction of their stock locally would involve a similar distance covered and multiple stops. However, even Bobco don't stock absolutely everything all of the time. Most local tackle shops don't routinely stock anything that costs much more than Drennan Acolytes. I can't say I blame them.

I've never seen a Rive rod yet. As far as I'm aware, the closest stockist is Nathans of Derby. The only other stockist I'm aware of is Benwicks. Neither are close enough to justify a trip out. I first saw Garbolino Altimas at the Manchester Angling Show on the Garbolino stand (despite what some say, it's not purely a carp show). I also got to see a few top end Daiwas at that show. However, I recently got to see a Maver Signature Pro Classic for the first time in one of my locals. It was hiding and gathering dust at the back of a rack full of Drennan Acolytes.

In your shoes (Mike), I'd be taking a trip to Bobco. I know they have had Acolytes, Altimas and Signature Pro Classics in Stock. It also looks like Garbolino has introduced another range above the Altimas (or perhaps they've replaced them), the Essential Match. At the same time, you could have a look at top end Tricasts and Daiwas that you are unlikely find easily in your average local shop.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay £200 for something unseen big brand or otherwise. Something I have contemplated and will probably do if AD ever have everything in stock at once is order several contenders and take what I don't want back to the shop (which is fairly local) for a refund. If you have an AD close by you get to check them out in your own home and no postage for returning them. The downside is 'not all AD shops can process refunds on the premises' so you might (make that probably will) be out of pocket for a while.

mikench

Reaction score
Sam the Altima range has been replaced. New models of rods are changed as often as car models. A trip to Leeds is on the cards I feel but an older model at the right price is very acceptable.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam the Altima range has been replaced. New models of rods are changed as often as car models. A trip to Leeds is on the cards I feel but an older model at the right price is very acceptable.

I suspected that must be the case due to the distinct lack of Altimas I've seen offered for sale recently. I was keeping an eye out for them in case they were cleared at a silly price by anyone. I quite liked the 13' light model, but I didn't need it that much.

Reaction score
I must try that tactic Keith! :) " What another rod" . No dear it's a little token of my love for you!

Be careful what you wish for,she might end up commanding your entire collection....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reaction score
I bought my Normark titan 2000 13ft after seeing an unknown guy fishing the Thames at Northmoor,he had 6 chub,nothing special in that but I liked the action of the rod,when he had a break for a cuppa,I asked if I could have a waggle,I just had hold of the line above the hook,and pulled a bit,that was it,a brilliant rod,which I bought a few days later,if I know anglers well enough and respect their opinions,I might be tempted,but I would prefer to feel one in my hand,don't need a reel,or line,you can just tell...

john step

Reaction score
On the subject of rods.........Has anyone got or had experience of a Drennan 13ft Matchpro ultralight.
I am considering replacing my old original first edition Normark with something new.

Matchpro or Acolyte at lots more dosh????

sam vimes

Reaction score
On the subject of rods.........Has anyone got or had experience of a Drennan 13ft Matchpro ultralight.
I am considering replacing my old original first edition Normark with something new.

Matchpro or Acolyte at lots more dosh????

Just to be certain, are you asking about the Matchpro Float or the Matchpro Ultralight?
The differences are akin to those between the Acolyte Ultra and the Acolyte Plus.

Personally, I don't think either Matchpro comes particularly close to the equivalent Acolyte model. The 30-40 quid difference in cost is well worth it. However, the Matchpros are probably more robust. They are certainly noticeably heavier, the action is more through and tip speed not as fast. They undoubtedly suit some folks better than the Acolytes.

If I were you, I'd just wait until the end of August for the Bobco sale. It'll bring the cost of the Acolyte much closer to the normal price of a Matchpro. Alternatively, if you are making your northern pilgrimage in the near future, give me a shout and I'll bring my mobile float rod emporium. I have more than the odd rod I no longer use that is as good, or better, than a Matchpro. I have only a handfull of much more expensive rods that equal or better (very marginally) the Acolytes.

john step

Reaction score
Just to be certain, are you asking about the Matchpro Float or the Matchpro Ultralight?
The differences are akin to those between the Acolyte Ultra and the Acolyte Plus.

Personally, I don't think either Matchpro comes particularly close to the equivalent Acolyte model. The 30-40 quid difference in cost is well worth it. However, the Matchpros are probably more robust. They are certainly noticeably heavier, the action is more through and tip speed not as fast. They undoubtedly suit some folks better than the Acolytes.

If I were you, I'd just wait until the end of August for the Bobco sale. It'll bring the cost of the Acolyte much closer to the normal price of a Matchpro. Alternatively, if you are making your northern pilgrimage in the near future, give me a shout and I'll bring my mobile float rod emporium. I have more than the odd rod I no longer use that is as good, or better, than a Matchpro. I have only a handfull of much more expensive rods that equal or better (very marginally) the Acolytes.

It was the ultralight I was thinking about. I shall keep my eyes open for the Bobco sale re the Acolytes.
As regards my trip to Nth Yorks, We are awaiting a hosp. appointment for my sandwich maker and cannot make an arrangement at the moment. Probably be a short notice thing.
Thanks for your offer. I will certainly give you a ring if I can make the pilgrimage.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It was the ultralight I was thinking about. I shall keep my eyes open for the Bobco sale re the Acolytes.
As regards my trip to Nth Yorks, We are awaiting a hosp. appointment for my sandwich maker and cannot make an arrangement at the moment. Probably be a short notice thing.
Thanks for your offer. I will certainly give you a ring if I can make the pilgrimage.

No problem, it's that time of year, so there's almost no chance of me being at work.
I no longer have a Matchpro Ultralight for direct comparison, but I do have a few alternatives and an Acolyte Ultra for you to get an idea of what they are like.