The things we bring home.

flightliner

Reaction score
The other day after suffering another total blank I simply dumped my gear on the garage floor thinking that I'd clear it up the following morning.
Later that night After feeling a little less tired I decided to do the job as I had bait that may go off
Or even wscape before morning.
On opening my rucksack I was startled when out flew not one but two big brown moths that went berserk in the garage.minutes later they were followed by a big black beetle and a bluebottle.
It made me think just how often anglers bring home unwanted guests like I did the other day.
Anyone experienced such occasions, mice perhaps or something even bigger?

mikench

Reaction score
I brought er indoors home once and ended up married. Maybe ants, beetles and moths were a better bet.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I fished a lake many years ago,my mate and I named it slug alley,for obvious reasons,one damp day after fighting the slugs off all day I got home and put my tackle away in my tackle room,the next morning I went in there for something and there were four enormous black slugs slithering on the walls,yuk....

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Spiders,loads of them.Seem to crawl into all of the tackle and then explore the car when I driving home so the next time I get in it there are cobwebs everywhere and they have the habit of suddenly dropping off the sun visor straight into your line of vision and scaring the c**p out of you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I haven't managed to bring much back, that I know of, other than those weird little cocoons that seem to love the folds and seams of luggage.

The best/worst kit bag stowaways I ever heard of was a mate that managed to unknowingly bring home a nest of baby camel spiders in a rucksack. As it was full of stuff he wouldn't need in the UK, he chucked it in an airing cupboard on his return to the UK. A couple of weeks later he got a bit of a shock when he came home to find a horde of baby camel spiders running around on his landing.

peterjg

Reaction score
This was not alive but bloody heavy. Years ago I was packing up from an overnight session, while I took my rods to the car my mate put a huge concrete boulder in my rucksack - where I then lived I kept my rucksack under the stairs. The next day I said to my wife that I must sort my tackle as it is ridiculously heavy! That's when I found the lump of concrete which I had brought home! Although very funny I did get my revenge!

steve2

Reaction score
I did bring home a fish that I hadn’t noticed was caught up in the folds of my keepnet. Took me a while to figure out where the stink in the shed was coming from.
On the plus side I have had some lovely wild flowers that must have come home as seeds.

Keith M

Reaction score
Like Whitty I’ve often found shiny slug trails all over my tackle bags from slugs that have slithered inside my bags on the bank.

And I think we have all had blue bottles hatch from maggots/casters that have escaped in our bags on the bank at sometime or other in the past.

I did once have loads of wasps caught amongst the laces of my trainers when I went night fishing and must have been standing on a wasps nest.
It was a good thing that they didn’t go up the legs of my jeans.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Like Whitty I’ve often found shiny slug trails all over my tackle bags from slugs that have slithered inside my bags on the bank.

And I think we have all had blue bottles hatch from maggots/casters that have escaped in our bags on the bank at sometime or other in the past.

I did once have loads of wasps caught amongst the laces of my trainers when I went night fishing and must have been standing on a wasps nest.
It was a good thing that they didn’t go up the legs of my jeans.

Keith

Wasps are brave creatures, but not that brave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Not exactly totally on topic but it did involve bringing home something unintentionally...

As a kid I was fishing the Medway one day, feeding maggots & float fishing in the margins and I caught this quite nice Eel. I thought I would take it home for my Mum as I knew she liked jellied Eels. Anyway I remember giving it to her and she got out a chopping board and started to gut it then I heard this huge scream from the kitchen ..basically when she opened it up all the multi coloured maggots it had been gorging spewed out all over the chopping board.

On reflection thats not such a pleasant tale come to think of it !

bracket

Reaction score
Similar theme to Philip. When I lived in the Midlands I had a good Polish friend, Danny Polack was his name. A well known amatuer boxer at the time, he won the ABA middleweight title three times. One Sunday I was to fish a club match on the Witham and Danny said to me"You get any eels Pete, bring them back for me". On the day, my mate and I had around 300 eels, mostly "Boot Laces", so I put them into a plastic shopping bag for Danny and tied up the neck. On the way back I stopped at the local pub for a pint and to give Danny the catch. The first thing he did was to open the bag in the bar and dropped the lot on the floor. I hadn't told him they were still alive. There were eels everywhere. looked just like a snake pit. I supped up and cleared off. Pete

Last edited:

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
A Brown Hawker dragonfly, (OK, Not quite home, but back to the car in my bag) took it back to the canal and released it, lovely creatures which distract us at this time of year, and lead to missed bites. my excuse anyway.

peterjg

Reaction score
We need to know!

Alan, to answer your question. My daughter was still living at home and I asked her if I could have a bright yellow and green foam rubber turtle that she had. Me and two mates (including he of the concrete boulder!) later went pike fishing to the lock cutting at Marlow, when they were distracted I reeled in one of my mates rods and replaced his dead bait with the turtle - I forgot that it would float!! Anyway this horrible bright yellow and green turtle sat there floating in front of us for hours and eventually when he reeled in he found the turtle, somewhere I still have the photo (precious!).

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Apart from ants and slugs my old Primera gained a mouse when parked all day at Britford and I only found out when I found a chewed chair and groundbait bag a couple of days later; soon remedied!

Reaction score
Similar theme to Philip. When I lived in the Midlands I had a good Polish friend, Danny Polack was his name. A well known amatuer boxer at the time, he won the ABA middleweight title three times. One Sunday I was to fish a club match on the Witham and Danny said to me"You get any eels Pete, bring them back for me". On the day, my mate and I had around 300 eels, mostly "Boot Laces", so I put them into a plastic shopping bag for Danny and tied up the neck. On the way back I stopped at the local pub for a pint and to give Danny the catch. The first thing he did was to open the bag in the bar and dropped the lot on the floor. I hadn't told him they were still alive. There were eels everywhere. looked just like a snake pit. I supped up and cleared off. Pete

Had almost exactly the same happen to me and a mate,the landlord of the Swan at Radwell heard us talking about eels and said it we brought him a couple of decent ones in,we could have a good sup,well we didn't need asking twice,the following Saturday night we might fished the Ouse at Radwell,lobworms on the lead,anyway I caught 3 eels nearly two pounds each,we put them in a canvas bucket with nappy line to stop escapes,Sunday lunchtime we took them into the pub,it was heaving with couples,anyway we told Barry,the landlord and he gave us the first couple of pints,well we sat there supping,when suddenly an eel came out of the bucket like a polaris,then another,Christ the noise of screaming women was amazing...

Last edited: