Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: help required with Margin fishing

Yes agree that what I was trying to get at by saying about the tungsten putty above the bomb to keep everything nailed.

cheers Lads !

fished today with a flying back lead pinned at a fixed distance with a drennan float stop
    that helped to stop fish spooking off the line
    but thats only part of the problem

Fed a little sparser today and had two real good fish from about 4 inches in front of my own platform
    the rig was backlead , float stop , bomb , float stop , buffer bead , swivel , 3.5 inch hooklength with built in ( dont know what its called pointy thing that goes through corn think its a built in stop ) bait was hair rigged

didn't get the boiling swim but could see the odd fish feeding in front of my platform ( where the landing net going in and out provides a good surface )
    managed to catch a few of them - with some real nice carp in there
    Some fell to the hair rigged prawn - noticed that bait not allowed on the venue so switched to meat ( My bad should have read the rules )

Slack line seems better than tight - so I tightened up to the backlead and layed the rig in sideways

very exciting way to fish !

thanks for the replies

Blog Entries

I've gone totally crude in the margin, the waters I fish both require that anglers use a float if fishing with a pole.
    For a float I use a tiny piece of peacock quill, 1/8" with a bait band to hold it on the line, super glued the band to the quill, to stay within the rules. Fish tight to the bank with the pole tip laid on the bank, no slack line, bites are shown with the quill but you'll rarely react before the elastic is dragged from the pole.
    Other tactic I use is a simple paste rig, my favourite. Both are fished in 12" to 24" of water.
    The only rule I stick to is don't fish the margin until the fish are confidently feeding. If you fish for them too soon they will spook then avoid your margin.
    Try not to get too many fish in the swim, feeding too much bait can cause this. Feed a few dead maggots after each bite say half a cup of dead maggot, if fish are slow to appear drop a bait tub full of water, watch for tail patterns or the water muddying.
    If you wait more than a few minutes for a bite the fish aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    I've gone totally crude in the margin, the waters I fish both require that anglers use a float if fishing with a pole.
    For a float I use a tiny piece of peacock quill, 1/8" with a bait band to hold it on the line, super glued the band to the quill, to stay within the rules. Fish tight to the bank with the pole tip laid on the bank, no slack line, bites are shown with the quill but you'll rarely react before the elastic is dragged from the pole.
    Other tactic I use is a simple paste rig, my favourite. Both are fished in 12" to 24" of water.
    The only rule I stick to is don't fish the margin until the fish are confidently feeding. If you fish for them too soon they will spook then avoid your margin.
    Try not to get too many fish in the swim, feeding too much bait can cause this. Feed a few dead maggots after each bite say half a cup of dead maggot, if fish are slow to appear drop a bait tub full of water, watch for tail patterns or the water muddying.
    If you wait more than a few minutes for a bite the fish aren't there.
    Thanks for this
    The maggots do seem to bring them in
    The place I fish also requires a float or ledger

Why does having too many fish in the swim cause a problem ? this is the nub of the question really - surely the more fish feeding the more chance you have ?
    In actuallity I find the more fish you have the less chance you have of catching but I dont know why

Feed a few dead maggots after each bite say half a cup of dead maggot, if fish are slow to appear drop a bait tub full of water, watch for tail patterns or the water muddying.
    You've lost me there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    Thanks for this
    The maggots do seem to bring them in
    The place I fish also requires a float or ledger

Why does having too many fish in the swim cause a problem ? this is the nub of the question really - surely the more fish feeding the more chance you have ?
    In actuallity I find the more fish you have the less chance you have of catching but I dont know why
    Too many fish in the swim can cause foul hooking, feeding a limited amount of loose offerings helps to keep numbers of fish down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    You've lost me there.
    Doesn't have to be a bait tub full in a single splash, drop it in a couple or three smaller splashes.
    It sort of mimics anglers washing out their tubs after they've packed in. Fish come to investigate looking for a free feed.
    Try it, it works. I spied an angler in the next peg doing it and asked why, the tip came from him.

I only fish commercials, if it works on more natural venues I can't say.
    Last edited by rayner; 31-07-2019 at 11:41.

Doesn't have to be a bait tub full in a single splash, drop it in a couple or three smaller splashes.
    It sort of mimics anglers washing out their tubs after they've packed in. Fish come to investigate looking for a free feed.
    Try it, it works. I spied an angler in the next peg doing it and asked why, the tip came from him.

I only fish commercials, if it works on more natural venues I can't say.
    Totally agree with this
    Have done this plus waved my unhooking mat to empty the spilled bait gone for a walk round and the swim has been full of fish

I don't take it to extremes though I don't say loudly
    Well that's enough for me I am going home now
    Wink at the ducks and hide behind my chair

That's not true actually sometimes having done this I sit behind my chair while fishing

On some venues it really does work

Like mugging fish works often

Too many fish in the swim can cause foul hooking, feeding a limited amount of loose offerings helps to keep numbers of fish down.

That's was my original question really if I float fish with many fish in the swim you can guarantee a foul hook
    So I pin the bomb down with a back lead - no foul hooks but also not as many fish as I thought given the swim is boiling

They can be very canny blowing the bait out I have seen them do it when dangling a rig on the surface
    I suspect a bomb with a 4 inch hair rigged piece of corn or banded pellet isn't so efficient at catching as I think

[QUOTE

That's not true actually sometimes having done this I sit behind my chair while fishing

On some venues it really does work

Like mugging fish works often[/QUOTE]

Not as daft as it sounds. I mentioned on here recently about the ploy of putting up a brolly behind me. The margin cruisers seem to view it as a bush and dont seem to realise you are there. Try it,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast