help required with Margin fishing

rayner

Reaction score
When I sit there fishing the fish can come very close, I don't have to hide. keep reasonably still and the fish seem to accept you're there, shadows and quick movement scares them.
A 14s loaded with maggots is taken easily, paste is another good margin bait, trouble being too many fish in the swim can nock the line dislodging the paste. I don't like using corn or pellet.

K to be added to nock,:eek:mg:

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Been following this as I like margin fishing for carp at the end of the day.

If the platform has legs, drop the lead down by the leg, and bring the line up beside the leg, just leaving the hook length and bait on the bottom, then there’s no line for the fish to touch.

Keep the water you soak you’re pellets in, this attracts them without feeding them, just leaving your hook bait for them to find.

With just your hook length in the swim, drop two mm pellets on top of it.

Try two grains of plastic corn on the hair, one a floater, this is easily sucked in by the carp, I have caught a lot of carp like this.

Sit well back to one side if possible out of sight.

If the pegs are close together, put a rod in each on alarms, and sit between them, increases your chances, and feed lightly, try not to let anyone walk down and spook the fish, like my mate does sometimes :mad:.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Been following this as I like margin fishing for carp at the end of the day.

If the platform has legs, drop the lead down by the leg, and bring the line up beside the leg, just leaving the hook length and bait on the bottom, then there’s no line for the fish to touch.

Keep the water you soak you’re pellets in, this attracts them without feeding them, just leaving your hook bait for them to find.

With just your hook length in the swim, drop two mm pellets on top of it.

Try two grains of plastic corn on the hair, one a floater, this is easily sucked in by the carp, I have caught a lot of carp like this.

Sit well back to one side if possible out of sight.

If the pegs are close together, put a rod in each on alarms, and sit between them, increases your chances, and feed lightly, try not to let anyone walk down and spook the fish, like my mate does sometimes :mad:.

Thanks Seth ! I have noticed with some pellets the water turns a deep colour after you soak them I always pour it in down the edge now.

On Thursday I fished the more natural pool in the morning but in the afternoon I went on the mostly carp pool
I fished 2 foot out , hair rigged double corn , method feeder with corn , use an olivette pinned with a float stop as a back lead , sat well back out of sight, didnt feed any loose offerings at all

BANG ! had bites - viscous ones at that all afternoon , caught about 8 carp to about 14 LB got my 8lb hooklink broke twice ( once in the weeds but once when I slowed the clutch down with my finger ) switched to 10 lb hooklinks , nothing foul hooked

Had to leave early to see my grandaughter but as I was packing up I could see the carp moving back in ( took them about 10 minutes to come back after I had caught one and spooked them )
Maybe it was the time of year
But I noticed a bloke opposite get frustrated fishing the margin with the pole , his swim was boiling with fish as he was feeding heavily but he never caught

I wouldn't do this everyday but I'll be honest once you have it cracked its tremendous fun - just make sure you hold on to your rod or you may well lose it

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Just an update on this - I have had some stunning results for the past 3 or 4 sessions and so has my lad = from about 2 O clock I fish a method feeder ( with mostly ground bait ) 2 sweet corn hair rigged , feed over the top with pellets or hemp , sit well back , put a backlead on your line about 2 foot away from the method feeder , fish either directly under the platform or maybe a foot out and 2 foot to the side depending on depth , dont be afraid to put too much bait in

Absolutely cracked it ! thanks for the help tried it now on 2 different venues and about 4 different lakes