Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default help required with Margin fishing

Went to Coppice Friday and after fishing the whip all day I moved to the carp pool in the afternoon
    Previously I have had the swim boiling with fish but been unable to catch ( cleanly ) as my very light float was getting wafted all over the place.

I have had more success fishing with just a bomb - in fact I started well on Friday with 3 nice fish in about half an hour , but then the last 2 hours the swim was boiling with fish ( I could see them and their tails ) but apart from the obvious liners I had only 2 possible bites.

When the Korum guys fish they put out a carpet of bait
    When Carp feed in the margin I understand they don't necessarily see the food they are eating but are sifting through the bank and ejecting what they don't want from their gills.

If thats the case and coupled with the way the Korum guys fish , when fishing a bomb you cant really have too many fish in your swim
    If you were fishing at distance and the water was boiling above your lead you would ( or I would ) think I am in with a chance here
    In fact I would think , statistically , one of these fish is bound to eventually sieve the bit of mud with my bait in
    Sometimes I fished slack some times tight
    I am sitting well back and fishing about a foot or two directly in front of my platform
    Sometimes I can identify 6 10 lb plus carp feeding within a 2 -3 foot radius of my bait

When fishing tight they sometimes spook when they feel the line
    When fishing slack I suspect they are blowing the bait before they self hook

I am fishing corn or pellet either banded or hair rigged
    a Preston size 14 hook

Cheers !

Default Re: help required with Margin fishing

Des Ship advises this

Have you tried short hook link and bolt? I sometimes put a rubber bead above the running bomb to give a loose bolt effect. I use a baiting needle and pull the line sideways through the rubber bead. Its safe as it only loosely grips the line.

Then put a couple of tiny blobs of rig putty above that to nail the line to the bottom on a fairly loose line to avoid foul hookers.
    Try wafters or balance mini boilies which will be easy for the carp to raise up when sucking. If they are well wised up in your water they may be ignoring bait that doesn't float up when they suck.

I have had similar experiences, typically fishing later in the day when the carp move into the margins to clear up anglers leftovers. I am normally fishing in up to 12 inches of water and sitting well back over a few handfuls of loose feed.
    If "educated" carp they can be devils to get a decent bite from, my my normal rig is to freeline (no rig!) possibly with a small indicator on the line like a small piece of rig foam sprayed orange and a slit in it to hold the line, or similar.
    Then I have to sit on my hands trying to identify bites from line bites, knowing that they will come eventually however shy the fish.
    Good fun if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Have you tried short hook link and bolt? I sometimes put a rubber bead above the running bomb to give a loose bolt effect. I use a baiting needle and pull the line sideways through the rubber bead. Its safe as it only loosely grips the line.

Then put a couple of tiny blobs of rig putty above that to nail the line to the bottom on a fairly loose line to avoid foul hookers.
    Try wafters or balance mini boilies which will be easy for the carp to raise up when sucking. If they are well wised up in your water they may be ignoring bait that doesn't float up when they suck.
    I put 2 preston float stops around the bomb so I can do a variable length hook link by moving the bomb up and down in case they are shy of the bomb
    Tried Wafters
    usually fish a tight line so tomorrow will be using the slack line by default

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    I have had similar experiences, typically fishing later in the day when the carp move into the margins to clear up anglers leftovers. I am normally fishing in up to 12 inches of water and sitting well back over a few handfuls of loose feed.
    If "educated" carp they can be devils to get a decent bite from, my my normal rig is to freeline (no rig!) possibly with a small indicator on the line like a small piece of rig foam sprayed orange and a slit in it to hold the line, or similar.
    Then I have to sit on my hands trying to identify bites from line bites, knowing that they will come eventually however shy the fish.
    Good fun if nothing else.
    I have "mugged" fish on these waters ie dangled a floating piece of corn in front of them
    The speed in which they take a bait in and blow it out is amazing - almost like a reflex action I wonder , with a slack line , whether I even notice this going on
    Is there a way to improve my hook up ratio ?

more info from utube

Blog Entries

Five or six maggots on the hook,but don't feed any,similarly an inch cube of crust,with at least an AA two inches from the hook,a big lump of paste works too,wait for the rod tip to go round,using the float as a warning that might happen...

This video recommends keeping the bait very tight

Very tight baiting is one idea but then again so is sparse baiting with larger baits. In that case the fish are more likely to be moving from food item to food item individually rather than on mass hoovering up of everything in front of it.

In terms of setup you either try and keep everything out of the way of the fish ...for example try and nail everything to the bottom with a bolt rig or you fish it very slack say with a float ignore the knocks and bumps and wait for the rod to fly in.

Alternative angle ...surface fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast