Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Line strength and diameter

I've been using ProGold for a great many years now for just about everything other than trotting. I know that the b/s is understated and if I want 12lb b/s for hit and hold/snag fishing for barbel I use 10lb b/s and know I've got what I want..............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

As an aside I have noticed on the continent anglers speaking about their setups tend to talk line diameter rather than line breaking strain which on reflection does make a allot of sense.

I nearly started a very similar thread the new hooklengths mention the diameter only I want to know the breaking strain
    Other than a canal when would you ever go below .20 which these days can be 5 + LBs breaking strain

I regularly use .09mm reflo hook lengths for still water roach/crucians and often for trotting for roach/dace.
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

It took me a while but I've got me head round diameters now so I'm far less likely to be concerned about bs anymore. I have certain brands that I know and trust (like PG) but I do play around with lines now and again. Been trying some Matrix stuff lately which ( so far) seems pretty good. The 0.23 diameter claims to be 10lb bs...whether it is or not I dont really care as its about the same diameter as what I was using which was ( allegedly) 6lb bs. In theory I've "won" an extra 4lb margin but if its only half that I'm still in front.

I get a bit more pernickety about lower bs/smaller diameter lines but I've got a couple that I trust and which behave well. As a general benchmark I know that 0.20 is roughly 4lb bs bog standard mono and work up/down from there depending on what I'm after and how I'm intending to go about catching them.

I do take notice of what the line is supposed to be. I stick with one range when having & using a selection of lower diameter (say 0.07mm - 0.18mm) hooklength material. That way I 'know' where I am rather than having a mish-mash of different types and brands in various diameters as that would be useless and misleading. Even if my selected brand/range of line is slightly out then at least it is all out and I still have an incremental selection of diameters to use so I know what I'm doing when changing up or down.

But I only really think in terms of diameters anyway - reel line or hooklength.

I prefer to think imperial - it's far more satisfying catching a 15lb carp or 6lb chub on 2lb line whilst crucian or dace fishing....................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    The 0.23 diameter claims to be 10lb bs...whether it is or not I dont really care as its about the same diameter as what I was using which was ( allegedly) 6lb bs.
    At 0.23mm it probably is around 6lbs BS, Skippy. Unless it's a co-polymer line in which case it could have a slightly higher BS, say around 8lbsor slightly more.

I had one the other day, a Japanese make, and found it had around 20% stretch in it. What happens when a few fish have stretched it so much? The state diameter was spot on, but the Kgs BS was way off the scale being three times what I would expect it to be. Hence I treat it as a much lower BS and just go off diameter.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    At 0.23mm it probably is around 6lbs BS, Skippy. Unless it's a co-polymer line in which case it could have a slightly higher BS, say around 8lbsor slightly more.

I had one the other day, a Japanese make, and found it had around 20% stretch in it. What happens when a few fish have stretched it so much? The state diameter was spot on, but the Kgs BS was way off the scale being three times what I would expect it to be. Hence I treat it as a much lower BS and just go off diameter.
    It is a co-polymer , Jeff and I'd guessed it at about 8lb bs too.That's cock on for what I'm using it for and the extra strength gives me a bit of a safety margin if a lump gatecrashes. I see no merit in fishing so fine that you struggle to land whatever it is your fishing for.Bad angling in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Quote from another post

This must be the equivalent to watching grass grow or paint dry. Does it really matter if any line under or over stated. Never bothered me in all my years of fishing. Does anyone do this or done this?
    Well, Stevo, there’s your answer, people do care whether the line they are buying has the stated diameter and strength, otherwise we may as well use parcel twine?

This valuable calibration exercise was brought to you by Anoraks for Anglers inc!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast