Line strength and diameter

steve2

Reaction score
Well, Stevo, there’s your answer, people do care whether the line they are buying has the stated diameter and strength, otherwise we may as well use parcel twine?

I am a paid up member of the parcel twine brigade. Funny thing it as never stopped me catching fish.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Here's a pretty comprehensive breakdown on many well known lines in respect of diameter (stated/actual) and strength (stated/actual) CLICK HERE

nottskev

Reaction score
Had a glance at that table - interesting

Pro Gold 8lb 0.27 mm breaks at 11.38lb
Pro Gold 10lb 0.29mm breaks at 11.88lb

The extra 0.02 mm gets you a mere half pound extra in bs.

Sensor 6lb 0.22mm breaks at 8.5lb
Sensor 8lb 0.25mm breaks at 10.7 lb

An extra 0.03mm gets you an extra 2.2lbs in bs

Can I ask what people think is going on ( without triggering another round of the much loved Sensor is ****/no it isn't panto)? Is it to do with these lines, or more generally to do with the way bs changes in proportion to diameter. It seems odd that the steps up seem so different.

steve2

Reaction score
Interesting to see the most are out on their stated diameter and breaking strains.
Looked at some line yesterday and the spool stated average breaking strain and diameter of the line I
have never noticed before. I suppose it gets round the problem of over or understating the line.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm trying to get Tigger back Skip and comments like that about an excellent line beloved by many and by Tigger in particular is unlikely to do so.

And I thought he went into hiding because he was caught using it....................

I know you're looking in Ian....................;)

wetthrough

Reaction score
Sensor 6lb 0.22mm breaks at 8.5lb
Sensor 8lb 0.25mm breaks at 10.7 lb

An extra 0.03mm gets you an extra 2.2lbs in bs

It's the cross sectional area that determines the BS. If you work backwards from the .22@6lb you get ~7.7lb for the 0.25 - near enough for rock and roll. That approach probably doesn't work with stretched lines. It presumably depends on how much they're stretched. No idea what's going on with the ProGold.