Spliced salmon rod

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Came across a rod yesterday the likes I have never seen before which is why I bought it as much as anything else. It was £22 by Playfair of Aberdeen on it and 16ft. Beautiful rod, green hart my guess and quite heavy. No ferrules just tapered ends. I looked it up and apparently these were bound by leather thongs and I didnt fancy going to a Anne Summers party but read electric tape was used at a later date.
I think the spliced joins an excellent idea, stronger than modern joins which is always the weak point in a rod, this must provide a better through action with no dead spots. Shame it could not be used on modern rods.
I am auctioning a collection of canes later in the month and this but might keep it; such a lovelly looking thing

John Keane

Reaction score
Came across a rod yesterday the likes I have never seen before which is why I bought it as much as anything else. It was £22 by Playfair of Aberdeen on it and 16ft. Beautiful rod, green hart my guess and quite heavy. No ferrules just tapered ends. I looked it up and apparently these were bound by leather thongs and I didnt fancy going to a Anne Summers party but read electric tape was used at a later date.
I think the spliced joins an excellent idea, stronger than modern joins which is always the weak point in a rod, this must provide a better through action with no dead spots. Shame it could not be used on modern rods.
I am auctioning a collection of canes later in the month and this but might keep it; such a lovelly looking thing

Bit like an old flat iron or pop bottles with marbles in the neck. Nostalgic, but ultimately of no practical use whatsoever.

steve2

Reaction score
They must have arms like Popeye to fish with these all day.
What other rods are in the auction?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bit like an old flat iron or pop bottles with marbles in the neck. Nostalgic, but ultimately of no practical use whatsoever.

Very true John but I was surprised to read that some anglers still use these rods occasionally, probably traditional enthusiasts. For me it looks beautiful, a lovely patina to the rod and a bit of angling history, something I never knew before plus,at £22, I may get £100 at auction, and if it ends up decorating a wall on a pub, its not chucked in a skip.

Reaction score
But a lovely looking thing as Mark said,many people/pub owners would wall mount it,as decoration,bit like a mural...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They must have arms like Popeye to fish with these all day.
What other rods are in the auction?

Lots of Scots porridge, it is heavy.
7ft-6in Wallop Brook (6 inches of tip missing so maybe a 6ft 9in)
2 piece 10ft The roach rod by Sealy (male ferrule missing and butt cap)
Lindon 3 piece solid cane.
4 piece Stephenson of Alnwick (screw lock type ferrules)
3piece unknown (quite old just made in England on it)
3 piece Montague.
I think there are a couple of others, The wallop and the roach rod are sought after I believeProbably need to go to a restorer or someone prepared to have them restored and keep or sell on.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One of my local tackle shop owners said he might have some ferrules and butt caps at home, he's going to have a look.
However, we got talking about this spliced rod. he knew a thing or two- He said they were Grants Vibration rods, made in circa the 1920's. They were top rods in thier day, the splice part stopped the joints turning so you didn't end up with rings pointing in different directions, they were considered excellent for the Spey type of casting. I can see why some people might still like using them. They were kept in a hedge in the back garden but off the ground to stop them drying out, it would get nicked these days. He thought they were made of Hickery or Green Hart, I wouldn't know the difference.
He used to send some to America where they were popular apparently and reckoned I got a real bargain.
Good bloke, hope he comes up with a few bits for me on the other rods, if so might try restoring them myself.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
But a lovely looking thing as Mark said,many people/pub owners would wall mount it,as decoration,bit like a mural...

It would look great with an antique Hardy reel on it (which is where the real money is in vintage tackle)

Reaction score
Money yes,beauty nah,a well finished rod for me any day.