Decathlon,what a rubbish outlet...

Reaction score
Well my isome arrived,so along with a couple of jig heads and small rubber works gives me some toys to play with when the missus gets crabby,she gagged when I showed her the isome,lol....

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Decathlon, or "D4" in France, this is a mixed opinion for me.
They hugely contributed to sport outreach in France, Belgium, Spain...

Hugely successful... and so agressive to small businesses.
My lovely local tackle store in the village I was grown closed down because of them, a year after they settle a store.
Real tragedy, as the owner was a sweetheart. He was my main fishing teacher (as yes... we have official fishing school there!!).

Then, I did myself purchased so many articles from them.

But I think the market in UK is very different. Sport stuff are cheap compared to the rest of Europe, people want quality and brands. We do find good quality in small tackle shops at good price, in other outlets such as Go Outdoors etc. Even Sports Directs sometimes sells a Buster Jerk for £6.

Still the fact Decathlon is still here demonstrates quality of their products. Also I love going with my daugther trying all sort of scooters, bikes, fishing equipment, running shoes... I do not know a single store doing this in the UK. Trying before buying, that's their point.

In Valenciennes and Tenerife, the stores are absolutently immense. Anything (and more) which is on the website will be ready on display.

Reaction score
I think the reason decathlon is still here is the same reason Primark is,people want something for nothing and don't see the quality of the products...

steve2

Reaction score
I think the reason decathlon is still here is the same reason Primark is,people want something for nothing and don't see the quality of the products...

No, the reason is people are fed up being ripped off by overpriced labels. We should all know by now that price does not mean quality it just what some mugs will pay for it.

Reaction score
It's not labelled products I refer to,it's lesser quality products as a whole,I've bought three different 'waterproof' shoes/boots of cheaper(not cheap)brands,they are all rubbish,leaking within days(if they were ever waterproof),falling apart within months,now I don't do fell walking,but this footwear would fall apart in a day of I did,so I'm dubious of buying anything but quality,I have goretex army boots for the winter,I played 70-80 quid for these,new,I paid twenty or so less for junk. Lesson learnt,my boots will almost certainly see me out,I bought a cheap goretex jacket,£65-70 online,that also was a lucky break,can't buy them now,had it 12 years I think. Over the years I've found out what does what I want,hopefully for the lowest price,but if not,I pay top dollar,for a quality product,sadly in many cases you do actually get what you pay for...

That said Steve,if you can recommend a decent pair of waterproof walking shoes from decathlon I might have a look,might....;)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry wouldn't recommend any walking boots from any type of shop, I don't do long walks.
My favourite walking boots are Gortex and were bought in Clarks shoe shop about 10 years ago.
My new fishing boots came from Trespass.
My jackets I use when out Fishing,Bird watching or photographing came from Decathlon or Tesco.

Not recommendations but some idea of where I shop.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't remember ever being in a UK Decathlon. I have fond memories of getting a bargain Stradic GTM in an Italian one though. Though it was like a jumble sale, they actually had some good kit amongst the dross.

Looking at the website, it doesn't look like much has changed. Amongst the footwear, there are some quality boots/shoes from the likes of Salomon, Asolo and (especially) Lowa. The prices on this type of stuff doesn't seem especially keen though.

The fishing gear looks to be on a par with the type of stuff that GoOutdoors used to stock (before they aquired Fishing Republic.

Reaction score
I don't mean my comments as a personal dig on your shops of choice,it's just how I find them,I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination,but as most of us do,I have preferences as to what I buy...

mikench

Reaction score
I only know the outlet in Nice which I enjoy visiting. They have everything sporting from table tennis tables, bikes and diving gear to live roach( gardons) for fishing. Their prices are cheap and imo the stuff is good. I have bought a sea rod, a bike, tackle boxes, clothes,snorkelling gear, bait and boules and cannot complain.

Another Dave

Reaction score
This year's £2.49 rucksack makes as good a lure/roving bag as you'll need. I just shorten one of the straps and max out the other one. God knows what the Chinese pay the kids that oil the robots that make these things but i didn't design this crazy world and they are only £2.49.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Now that I'm back in Uk, something interesting I've noticed compared to the D4 stores in Brussels are the brands. The fishing section here (which is too small BTW) has branded groundbait or luggage while the Belgian ones only have the D4 or own brands.
The last time I've been I've purchased Gooster Feeder bags (I do like it and it's cheap), pellets from Dynamite and a few items from Flashmer.