Fishing Allstars

daniel121

Reaction score
But at least you still caught the fish with those methods, "who" caught the fish when a bloke in a boat put the bait in the desired spot for you. I would say he did, he did most of the hard work. Either way, I could never in my heart feel I totally caught the fish and wouldn't claim to have done so, a joint effort with credit going to the boatman at least.
And what about netting rights, I net my own fish; a crucial part of the skill in angling.
If someone put the bait in for you and someone netted the fish for you-you virtually done f-all and have no right to claim you and no one else caught that fish !! Thats the "cheat" the deception you caught the fish, all on your own, all your own skill.
And where do record claims come into this? Hillary always acknowledges his Sherpa when claiming his record on Everest!

Now you put it like that, I'm kind of coming to your way of thinking. Well put good post

terry m

Reaction score
I actually thought that it was a decent watch. Recognised the area from when I fished the Ebro a few years back.

I will remain open minded. Dean Maycey may have limitations, but the fact that he i# not Keith Arthur means I am happy.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Now you put it like that, I'm kind of coming to your way of thinking. Well put good post.

No one has ever said that to me on here and probably never will again, I feel overwhelmed by it all, must go and have a lay down for a minute.

:)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
But at least you still caught the fish with those methods, "who" caught the fish when a bloke in a boat put the bait in the desired spot for you. I would say he did, he did most of the hard work. Either way, I could never in my heart feel I totally caught the fish and wouldn't claim to have done so, a joint effort with credit going to the boatman at least.
And what about netting rights, I net my own fish; a crucial part of the skill in angling.
If someone put the bait in for you and someone netted the fish for you-you virtually done f-all and have no right to claim you and no one else caught that fish !! Thats the "cheat" the deception you caught the fish, all on your own, all your own skill.
And where do record claims come into this? Hillary always acknowledges his Sherpa when claiming his record on Everest!

Are you saying therefore that any fish record, PB or otherwise that you have not netted yourself doesn’t count as your fish. That would rule out a lot of the existing PB's and fish records. Not that fish records matter anyway.
Have you ever tried getting 100lb plus of catfish in on your own I haven’t and I would fancy trying.
When I go wreck fishing and the boatman put me over a wreck 25 miles off shore does that mean the fish I have caught don’t count because I can’t cast 25miles.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Are you saying therefore that any fish record, PB or otherwise that you have not netted yourself doesn’t count as your fish. That would rule out a lot of the existing PB's and fish records. Not that fish records matter anyway.
Have you ever tried getting 100lb plus of catfish in on your own I haven’t and I would fancy trying.
When I go wreck fishing and the boatman put me over a wreck 25 miles off shore does that mean the fish I have caught don’t count because I can’t cast 25miles.
I am saying if someone put the bait and hook in for you and/or someone netted the fish for you then you are not the sole credited captor of that fish irrespective of where size etc.
And if you like, a skilled boatman put you on a good mark at sea, then he helped you with his skill, not yours and is credit worthy and so is a ghillie maybe. Would they have rights and claims in a court of law.?
If I have found a fish, used all my own skill and judgement in catching it and landing it, then and only then is it truely my fish.
Or is it not?

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
If I have found a fish, used all my own skill and judgement in catching it and landing it, then and only then is it truely my fish.
Or is it not?

Using that criteria I have just rule out PB’s for Carp, Pike and Barbel a friend helped me land them so I can now start again.
Thank you it will give me reason to go fishing again.

Anybody still watching this programme watched it last night. Finding it boring it as just turned into another programme with two blokes chasing around catching big carp.

Reaction score
This programme was just like monster carp with different faces...with a manic man on laughing gas heading it...

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Using the same criteria then **** Walker's record Carp, Raviolli, shouldn't count either as it was not netted by Walker but by Pete Thomas?

Not forgetting either that Thomas also had to assist when the Carp tried to wrap the line around the stumps . . . . .

I somehow cannot see Walker jumping around like a loon yelling and high-fiving Pete Thomas, but then he wasn't on the TV back then I suppose.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When I fshed Redmire I made a point of being awake at 4:45 for two mornings and just sat there, quietly, imagining the 10 minutes battle on Walker's 12lbs plaited line with a size 2's model perfect hook attached to what became the most famous fish in angling history . . . . . no hooping and hollering or jumping in the margin acting like a fool . . .

Reaction score
I must have something wrong with me,because when I catch a good fish I sit down with the fish resting in the net and quietly have thoughts of the moment,then get on with the business of weighing,photographing and returning the fish safely as quick as possible,then have another moment shaking my head on what an amazing thing just happened....

Just to add that I'm not the quietest of fellas,being half deaf,but the above still applies...

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not forgetting either that Thomas also had to assist when the Carp tried to wrap the line around the stumps . . . . .

I somehow cannot see Walker jumping around like a loon yelling and high-fiving Pete Thomas, but then he wasn't on the TV back then I suppose.

Good job there was no tv there as, at the time of the take, Pete was in the tent getting his head down as he'd done all the driving. He jumped out the tent wearing just a shirt, dived in, and and the rest is history.............................

John Keane

Reaction score
Just watched this programme for the first time. Jesus, Dean Macey is an annoying prat!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
He's like a big soppy kid but I have warmed to him just a very little bit, I enjoyed last night's program, a good variey, not the usual carp blanket coverage and some English locations. Love the look of the Trent.

Reaction score
Last night's programme ended in a joke,two guys fishing against two,Macey and his mate sat with four rods fishing,plus two more spodding against Ringer and co. fishing two rods,absolutely of no relevance and total bollards,whilst on the Trent Macey almost lost his for at least six times,showing how the carp angling mentality has no relevance in barbel fishing,how many times did his for butt lift more than a foot from the ground,what the he'll is he trying to prove,apart from him being a k-nob with a capital K.....:mad:

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Last night's programme ended in a joke,two guys fishing against two,Macey and his mate sat with four rods fishing,plus two more spodding against Ringer and co. fishing two rods,absolutely of no relevance and total bollards,whilst on the Trent Macey almost lost his for at least six times,showing how the carp angling mentality has no relevance in barbel fishing,how many times did his for butt lift more than a foot from the ground,what the he'll is he trying to prove,apart from him being a I-job with a capital K.....:mad:

Christ knows why the two match anglers set up on pellet waggler, which is a notoriously slow-starting technique on waters that size? I’d have clipped-up and used the Method for quicker results. Four rods and spods against 2 pellet wagglers, it was like assault rifles versus peashooters!

John Keane

Reaction score
Carp fishing mentality has influenced barbel angling for the worse both in techniques and tackle. IMHO the ideal tc for barbel rods is 1.5lbs but it’s crept up to 2 or 2.25lbs and, Tidal Trent excepted, that’s ridiculous, you’ll get as much feeling out of a brush handle! I won’t be watching Macey & Co. again. I didn’t think anyone was more annoying than Danny Fairbrass or Ali Hamidi, but I was wrong (again)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Carp fishing mentality has influenced barbel angling for the worse both in techniques and tackle. IMHO the ideal tc for barbel rods is 1.5lbs but it’s crept up to 2 or 2.25lbs and, Tidal Trent excepted, that’s ridiculous, you’ll get as much feeling out of a brush handle! I won’t be watching Macey & Co. again. I didn’t think anyone was more annoying than Danny Fairbrass or Ali Hamidi, but I was wrong (again)
That's what Graham Marsden called 'carbelling'. (I'm pretty sure that GM named it so first.) John Wilson used his Avon rod of 1¼lbs TC for much of his sport with barbel or carp. I do have one, a Harrison Chimera, that is 1¾lbs or so, Steve Harrison didn't like putting figures on rods, that is for winter barbel fishing when the river is hammering through. I normal condition it really is not necessary to use heavy rods.
The same can be said of carp fishing though. I see people fishing a lake we have where the biggest fish is around 15lbs and they have 3½lbs TC rods, big pit reels, and 18lbs line. And then we wonder why many of the fish have mouth damage?
I fished that canal stretch on the Grand Union before and I wondered last night why they weren't pestered with signal crays...

Reaction score
They were,just didn't show the carnage,crunched crayfish don't make for good TV...

daniel121

Reaction score
I have to agree, I watch most fishing programs regardless but I do find Dean Macey an annoying prat also.

Reaction score
It was on two nights running this week,last night's episode in Dorset was slightly better,but my missus said to me how annoying Macey was,we watched Mortimer and Whitehouse doing a far more refined programme,though with little actual fishing/fish involvement,a real pleasure to watch...