Explanation please

nottskev

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. Going back to the post which started this thread, regardless of how far even light tackle may involve an element of bolt effect, and that's an unknown, those huge carp floats (16g) have, for me, far more in common with method feeder techniques than they do with the kind of light float gear I use.

For me, the key distinction is not whether some inertia in the rig alarms the fish, provoking or accentuating the visible bite; it's whether you need to be watching carefully and using skill and judgement to hook the fish. When the fish regularly hook themselves, whether you're alert or awake or not, it's a different ball game, and the growth of a whole market of devices for use on the commercial fisheries goes, I think, to prove my point.

steve2

Reaction score
We've all had this, unless you are fishing gin clear water you're often not going to notice it though, I would go as far as suggesting (tin hat) that we have a hell of lot more self hooks than we will ever realise and many a skilfully caught fish has already hooked itself prior to the bite indication registering regardless of what technique or tackle is used.

On a self hooking or bolt rig have you caught the fish or as the fish caught itself?
I may have reeled it in but have I caught it?

Reaction score
If you fish the feeder,or lead,how could you ever know for sure,it's a misnomer...

theartist

Reaction score
On a self hooking or bolt rig have you caught the fish or as the fish caught itself?
I may have reeled it in but have I caught it?

Yes you've caught it no doubt about that, the term applies to those who have watched a fish take a bait whilst crouched behind a bush the same as it does someone who isn't even in the same swim when they hear their buzzer go. Whether it's right, wrong or just different it's still caught on rod and line

theartist

Reaction score
Or in some cases in the past even by the water. With modern alarms systems you can now be anywhere when the fish is trapped by the hook.

Yep each to their own, when I go on holiday to a park with fishing on site I often see rods in front of the caravans whilst they are inside watching telly. When they tell me their PBs I look impressed and just say how I like catching little roach ;)

Then I'm off to fish somewhere quiet down the road with old fashioned tactics - like I say each to their own

mikench

Reaction score
I have a couple of bait feeder floats and , inmho, they are useless and a gimmick.