Explanation please

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just seen these floats on the bay and am curious to know how they work.

Reaction score
Self hooking pellet waggler I think,when it's fishing the loaded section slides down,leaving the top section with a blunt water resistant flat area to help set the hook...

bracket

Reaction score
s63. I think whitty has it right. I believe it's one element of the new futuristic concept of angling. That's where you load this kind of gear into your new electric self drive car along with an AI device, then off they go and do it all for you. That allows you stay in bed watching the latest BBC "State of Fear" initiative and frighten the drawers off yourself. Pete.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
D
Self hooking pellet waggler I think,when it's fishing the loaded section slides down,leaving the top section with a blunt water resistant flat area to help set the hook...

So why on Earth is the bottom half of the float needed at all?

If you need the extra weight that’s on the bottom part of the body to cast then why not just increase the size of the top part?

I think this is most probably one of those things that catches more anglers than it does fish. :eek:mg:

Keith

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, judging by the bids, someone is sold on them, after reading the totally non confused, non cynical posts I shan’t be bidding:)

steve2

Reaction score
I used splasher floats for carp match fishing. These ones according to the write up separate on landing leaving the flat surface as a self hooking device.

Reaction score
D

So why on Earth is the bottom half of the float needed at all?

If you need the extra weight that’s on the bottom part of the body to cast then why not just increase the size of the top part?

I think this is most probably one of those things that catches more anglers than it does fish. :eek:mg:

Keith

The bottom half casts and retrieves together in a streamlined manner,seperating on impact with the surface,certainly not for me either Keith...

Reaction score
Like bolt rigging,let's be fair it's very similar to the float-method,like bung type creations that were popular on commies years ago,not for anything like a purist...

rayner

Reaction score
The art of fishing without fishing, bolt rigs should be outlawed. In my opinion.
Not my idea on fun.

Reaction score
I think we were using them years ago without knowing,these days it's been much more worked out,I use a semi bolt when I'm barbel fishing,using the hair rig it's rude not to...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Plenty of old angling techniques are, to some extent, bolt rigs, whether we like it or not. All that's happened in the last twenty years or so is that the bolt effect has been deliberately sought and increased by design. Those that are uncomfortable with the idea of a bolt rig (of any kind) are only kidding themselves or they wouldn't actually do any fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Plenty of old angling techniques are, to some extent, bolt rigs, whether we like it or not. All that's happened in the last twenty years or so is that the bolt effect has been deliberately sought and increased by design. Those that are uncomfortable with the idea of a bolt rig (of any kind) are only kidding themselves or they wouldn't actually do any fishing.

Is that last sentence a bit sweeping? I use method feeder now and again, and rig up a twizzled loop affair that leads to self-hooking when I end up doing the kind of thing that can have you tearing your hair out, like catching dace on a feeder. But I generally think there's a bit of extra skill and challenge involved in trying to hit bites by reading the float or tip - in other words, when they can easily be missed. I wouldn't agree that I'm deluded in thinking so, and I find it possible to do most, indeed nearly all, of my fishing without bolt rigs. I'm not particularly decrying them - just maintaining that they are different.

Reaction score
There is more skill in hitting bites on the float or tip from species that don't give themselves up,but barbel are blatant self hookers,chub and bream can be made to be virtually so depending on bait,roach also have been made to be on the helicopter rig,fish have to be rigged correctly for best results,on float or lead.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I wasn't doubting that all kinds of fish can hook themselves on all kinds of rigs, and there may be very good reasons for trying to get them to. I was just saying that there's a difference between studying your indicator to discern a bite and time the strike, and picking up your rod when a fish has already hooked itself.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is that last sentence a bit sweeping? I use method feeder now and again, and rig up a twizzled loop affair that leads to self-hooking when I end up doing the kind of thing that can have you tearing your hair out, like catching dace on a feeder. But I generally think there's a bit of extra skill and challenge involved in trying to hit bites by reading the float or tip - in other words, when they can easily be missed. I wouldn't agree that I'm deluded in thinking so, and I find it possible to do most, indeed nearly all, of my fishing without bolt rigs. I'm not particularly decrying them - just maintaining that they are different.

Nope, the point I was making was that even traditional methods such as a bog standard paternoster, lift method float fishing, and even pretty light floats etc have a degree of the bolt effect. I didn't mention anything about self hooking. Almost any form of coarse angling technique relies on, at least a bit of, the bolt effect for bite indication. Without it, fish would barely move when feeding giving an angler very little indication (which can happen, but it's not desireable). The modern twist is that this effect has been improved on, by design, to maximize it and make the chance of self hooking even more likely.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hmm Maybe. Since we can't actually see, on most occasions, what a fish is doing to cause a noticeable indication, I'm not sure how far we should assume it's "bolting" - whatever that is, as opposed to moving. Or staying still as the rig moves past them.

I thought, as I think seems reasonable, you were referring to set-ups that are designed to get fish to hook themselves against the inertia of the end tackle eg a heavy weight close to the hook - as in the popular method feeder - possibly, having pricked themselves.

Whether fish "bolt" or not, a major change in recent times in fishing has been the development of self-hooking set ups. I'd go so far as to say that's been been an important part of the departure from what they call "old school". If all kinds of rigs can involve a bolt effect, and maybe they can, I can nonetheless say that in the decades before the method etc, I hardly ever reeled in fish that had hooked themselves; this afternoon there will be a lot of anglers out there whose every fish hooked itself and waggled the rod to let them know.

There's probably nothing to argue about here. Perhaps the distinction between "bolt rigs" and "self-hooking rigs" is a an area where misunderstanding can occur.

Reaction score
I've watched tench picking up bait,then suddenly rising in the water a few inches,shaking their heads,this is where I had a number eight shot on the deck and a 3bb thin peacock with around 12mm of float out,they definitely spooked themselves after picking up the bait. I've watched chub do the same on the lead on boilie,I've also watched the beggars spot them out,a lot...barbel however have the unfortunate habit of taking a bait and turning back downstream which automatically leads to the three foot twitch as the pressure of the rod builds.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hmm Maybe. Since we can't actually see, on most occasions, what a fish is doing to cause a noticeable indication, I'm not sure how far we should assume it's "bolting" - whatever that is, as opposed to moving. Or staying still as the rig moves past them.

I thought, as I think seems reasonable, you were referring to set-ups that are designed to get fish to hook themselves against the inertia of the end tackle eg a heavy weight close to the hook - as in the popular method feeder - possibly, having pricked themselves.

Whether fish "bolt" or not, a major change in recent times in fishing has been the development of self-hooking set ups. I'd go so far as to say that's been been an important part of the departure from what they call "old school". If all kinds of rigs can involve a bolt effect, and maybe they can, I can nonetheless say that in the decades before the method etc, I hardly ever reeled in fish that had hooked themselves; this afternoon there will be a lot of anglers out there whose every fish hooked itself and waggled the rod to let them know.

There's probably nothing to argue about here. Perhaps the distinction between "bolt rigs" and "self-hooking rigs" is a an area where misunderstanding can occur.

Now you've got it. It's increasingly common for people to use bolt rig as a synonym for self hooking rig. It's not particularly unreasonable to do so these days. However, I deliberately used the term "bolt effect" which is a slightly different thing. Almost every type of method concieved needs at least a dash of the bolt effect to give effective bite indication. Whether that bolt effect is utilized to give an element of self hooking depends on multiple factors. However, it's not just dirty great lumps of lead/feeders that make for self hooking.

Paternoster rigs balance the weight of the leger/feeder against the weight of the indicator (tip, bobbin etc) to give an element of self hooking. The Severn/Trent matchman's favourite dink rig is a self hooking rig, relying on a balance of weight to flow to quiver tip to achieve it. Even fairly standard float rigs can make self hooking more likely by the selection of float, shot placement and (rig) depth fished. I doubt that many would consider any of these methods to be bolt or self hooking rigs, but they absolutely can be.

Personally, I've had fish hook themselves on all sorts of method, even those that involved the tiniest of floats, lightest of legers.

Ultimately, the thrust of my point is that even the floppiest hatted traditionalist will have used the bolt effect to their advantage at some point, whether they care to admit it or not. Plenty will have used rigs that are self hooking rigs, even if they were never called that when they were particularly prevalent.

Aren't all rigs self hooking to some extent?

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Personally, I've had fish hook themselves on all sorts of method, even those that involved the tiniest of floats, lightest of legers.
]
We've all had this, unless you are fishing gin clear water you're often not going to notice it though, I would go as far as suggesting (tin hat) that we have a hell of lot more self hooks than we will ever realise and many a skilfully caught fish has already hooked itself prior to the bite indication registering regardless of what technique or tackle is used.