Why oh why oh why...

Windy

Reaction score
Been indulging myself watching a very good Hungarian TV channel (yes, a whole Channel, not just the odd programme here and there) called Hunting and Fishing.

Not into the shooting Bambi half of the output but the fishing stuff is amazing. Not just enormous carp - though enormous carp there are a'plenty - but also straightforward float and feeder fishing for stuff we'd recognise as decent roach,perch, silver fish and other stuff I couldn't identify. Great except....

Which brings me to the point of this post and it's title.

Why the hell do all TV fishing programmes (with very few exceptions, Gone Fishing and that old beardie with the deerstalker hat, tache and pipe in plus fours) {Edit]Roger Hargreaves, that's it, couldn't immediately bring his name to mind - Alzheimers kicking in bad today[/Edit] (where was I ?)

....Oh yes, why do they all have such bloody awful music playing in the background ? Snare drums and a dribble of las vegas lounge music, or even on rare occasions (and God forbid another one soon) heavy rock metal guitars soloing away like madmen.

Really, does anyone who has the slightest interest in fishing want any of this sh1t background music playing on as if the action were all taking place in an Hotel lift ? Or at all ?

Why oh why oh why....

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your title and finishing sentence reminds me of Points of View Whit.

Not sure Barry Took would have had the answer.

daniel121

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, the music on fishing videos are sometimes cringe worthy. Why do they do it, low budget I'd guess

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Best I've heard was the Korean carp fly video with James Horner's "Ludlows' theme" from the film "Legends of the Fall":

YouTube

First whiff of hi-hat and snare and I'm on the mute!

mikench

Reaction score
A classy piece of appropriate music in the background can add a certain je ne sais quoi to a film. A gently melodic piece as in the Jack Hargreaves programmes. The appropriate adjective is " background" ie quiet unobtrusive and not distracting. A thumping loud bass track is a real turn off. A few of our irregular video posters are guilty of this and not only do I not watch it but I cannot remember who posted and on what subject.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Personally I agree, and find the louder rockier backing tracks to be out of place in what for me is a quiet contemplative pastime. But I often wondered if it was Jan Porter who provided the backing tracks to some of the early Matt Hayes videos as he was a competent guitarist and self confessed “ failed rock star”, which led me on to thinking there are actually quite a few current and ex rock and pop musicians in our angling world, such as ( in no particular order)Barbel angler and 80s pop musician Ray Walton, Eric Clapton an accomplished fly angler, and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden recently featured in Anglers Mail with a specimen tench, and Roger Daltry of “The Who” runs a trout fishery.
So maybe the rock music backing tracks are not so out of place, but will angling programme producers please spare us from the lift musac!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I agree about the bad music choices on videos - attempting to create a false sense of drama and excitement is futile and just puts me off. it's an abuse of music and the audience.

I'm not sure if you can answer "Why the music?" regarding fishing videos, though - the practice is widespread. You'll hear it just after they tell you your call is important to them, and if your local medical centre is like mine, while you sit trying to gather your thoughts before a doctor's appointment, you'll be be distracted by the musical wallpaper from the permanently-on easy-listening station. I think quiet terrifies a lot of people.

theartist

Reaction score

I like a bit of rock and metal but only after a good days fishing on the long trip home

The irony is Roger Hargreaves did the Mr Men books and as we know Mr Tickle is the one of the best anglers out there due to his enormous reach. Those arms also help with the guitar solos. Don't ever fish with him though as his reach and tickle can catch you unawares even wading midstream

d.owens

Reaction score
I agree about the music on angling videos, I also switch off any once somebody uses the word "bruv" when talking to their mate on them.
I fully accept I have become a miserable old git.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Music obviously adds another dimension to film and has to be chosen very carefully, which sadly these days seems not to happen all too often.

As an example, watch the Shower scene from Hitchcock movie, Physco, without the sound on and it is nowhere near as scary as with the sound . . . . then try watching the dog fights in the Battle of Britain movie without the over-nationalistic music from both sides . . . again, so much is lost while the visuals are still there . . . . .

If you watch, and listen to the Morse and Endeavour series the music is rather special, and adds so much to the story line. The composer, Barrington Pheloung, who recently died, often added into the music differnet clues in morse code in the title sequences . . . .

I'm not saying that music in fishing prgrammes should be as detailed as in these examples, but that it can definitely set a better mood or environment if it were to be chosen more carefully.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Rarely do I watch such tripe that most TV fishing programmes have on show.
Most at best are just fish winching. Also the phrase (FISH ON) something never heard on the banks I fish, really makes me cringe.
Back ground music doesn't bother me mostly because I don't watch them, the music I have on my iPod is mostly ACDC, Def Leopard and the Who that I only play when fishing to deter uninvited guests.

john step

Reaction score
Not just fishing programmes. I seem to rember a time when wildlife programmes didn't have music to enhance them. I often wonder how they get the orchestra to play in the African savana:wh

rich66

Reaction score
Not just fishing programmes. I seem to rember a time when wildlife programmes didn't have music to enhance them. I often wonder how they get the orchestra to play in the African savana:wh

One step further now, watched a tv program on the Serengeti the other day and the narrator is talking about the animals “feelings” just like they were human.

theartist

Reaction score
One step further now, watched a tv program on the Serengeti the other day and the narrator is talking about the animals “feelings” just like they were human.

They are, or may as well be

Many have names, some have collars and sit on top of safari jeeps all day, to be gawped at daily by rich tourists who think they are wild, you see more 'wild' life down the canal

mikench

Reaction score
Sailing by on radio 4 is superb to fall asleep to.

Dances with Wolves, Gladiator and the Films featuring Ennio Moriconi soundtracks wouldn't be the same without them.