Video pike taking topwater duo shinmushi lure

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi guys I was filming another 1 hour fishing challenge video at the weekend and was lucky enough to capture a pike taking a shinmushi surface cicada lure.
Also took a nice 1lb+ perch on a fish arrow flash j .

Quick question, why do chub hang out under trees? Is to so they are protected from aerial attack by birds?

Hope you enjoy the video

YouTube

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know and fish the club water in this video, I won’t mention the name or location but if a member of the committee sees this expect at least a warning if not a ban, you have broken one of their sacred rules...... not using an unhooking mat. The use of soft grass won’t be accepted even though it’s perfectly safe in my view.

Your handling of the perch using the thumb hold will only make matters worse, expect to have the perch police on your back!

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi s63, is lip holding perch looked down upon? Generally I only use it on bigger fish, but if it’s considered bad handling I will refrain from using it.
I agree with dehooking matt, I’ve been looking for a small mobile one, any suggestions.
Thanks guy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Post your video on lure anglers and you’ll find out very quickly that lip holding is frowned apon within the UK angling community.

The bigger the fish the more damage you could cause, not rocket science to work out the strain put on its body and back in particular. Perch are extremely fragile fish as are pike and need to be handled with sympathy and care.

Apart from a stupidly large carp mat any mat is mobile, I use a Drennan mat rolled up and put through my landing net handle when roving the bank.

PS if you should ever meet a bailiff he will most probably ask you to use a larger landing net and a wire trace, as you’ve discovered there are plenty of pike in that stretch some bigguns to, almost impossible to have a session lure fishing for perch and chub without encountering one.

With KHV in the area plus rumours of a fresh outbreak I assume you are dipping your net in the tank provided?

In answer to your first question, yes chub like most fish seek cover not just from aerial attack but us anglers too.

Last edited:

The occasional angler

Reaction score
Hi s63, yes they have a dip by the car park. If I’m targeting pike or larger fish then I have a larger net , however these trips I’m using very small lures a target fish sub 5lb , never had any problems with this net.
I occasionally get a pike but 90% are target species, I do flatten barbs as a precaution, never been cut off yet (on these small lures pike consistently get lip hooked if they show up) ..... if things get pikey I always use wire trace, but prefer to avoid it if I can

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What equipment you think is suitable may not necessarily be the same as the club rules, something you can discuss with a bailiff if you ever come across one.:)

Another Dave

Reaction score
spinmwal-pike-leader_l.jpg

No thicker than line.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Not easy to get hold of at the moment. Wolfram do a similar thing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to make up your own traces Knot2kinky works out a little cheaper.

Another Dave

Reaction score
If you want to make up your own traces Knot2kinky works out a little cheaper.

K2K is a better product all round but i am lazy and can just stick a pack of these Polish ones in my box, at less than a pound each i view them as disposable, although the tiny clips and swivels are certainly worth recycling.