Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    3,625

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Interesting thread, I often find tidal stretches fascinating. Like Artist, a great variety of types, species and challenges and usually free to fish. This is more lower stretches where they are near the sea-Big tide races, muddy bottoms and banks(be careful), never sure what you will find or get, could be anything, usually excellent flora and fauna and vistas to wonder at.
    It pays to have a good look at maps before you visit for paths, access etc and pictures these days on the net, they are often unfishable at low water and often flat open country so watch for wind and weather.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Shropshire
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    I've not had much experience of tidal rivers but Kev reminded me of a couple of times fishing the Dee well upstream of it's tidal reach at Bangor on Dee and catching a couple of flounder while fishing lob worms .

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    3,625

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Quote Originally Posted by ian g View Post
    I've not had much experience of tidal rivers but Kev reminded me of a couple of times fishing the Dee well upstream of it's tidal reach at Bangor on Dee and catching a couple of flounder while fishing lob worms .
    I caught a tiny flattie right up in Barnes on the Thames once Ian. Mullet and Bass can be found quite far up tidal reaches as well. You never quite know what to expect, seen sea trout leaping quite a few times on these types of water as well. Finding the coarse fish is not easy, never know quite where they are unless you fish for them.
    This thread is prompting me to explore a few areas I have reconnoitred in the past but never got round to trying.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,449

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I caught a tiny flattie right up in Barnes on the Thames once Ian. Mullet and Bass can be found quite far up tidal reaches as well. You never quite know what to expect, seen sea trout leaping quite a few times on these types of water as well. Finding the coarse fish is not easy, never know quite where they are unless you fish for them.
    This thread is prompting me to explore a few areas I have reconnoitred in the past but never got round to trying.
    If this is a 'Flounder Off' I got one up at Richmond lol

    Mark, How do you feel about the three rivers at Rye? Would you rather those gates were gone and the rivers were natural like others in Sussex or are you happy to have coarse fishing in the town so close to the sea?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Isle of Skye
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Fished an Embassy Pairs qualifier on the Gloucester Canal about 20 years ago and the bloke next peg to me had a flounder and a barbel which must be the oddest canal mixed bag ever.

    Flounders will travel way above the tidal limit - once had one from the Tweed at Carham which is at least ten miles (and one weir with fish pass) above any tidal influence

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    3,625

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    If this is a 'Flounder Off' I got one up at Richmond lol

    Mark, How do you feel about the three rivers at Rye? Would you rather those gates were gone and the rivers were natural like others in Sussex or are you happy to have coarse fishing in the town so close to the sea?
    Flounder Wars - part one! Im heading for Teddington with some lugworms.

    Not sure Artist, on the one hand it's nice when rivers should be natural with the mix of sea and fresh taking its natural course but, having year round coarse fishing where the depth and flow is controlled is an advantage. I have often thought more rivers should be like this with water shortages but it will change the dynamics of a river. Rye has a wealth of variety around it, sea, creeks, harbour, full tidal, semi tidal, fresh, commercial, canal /lake / river.
    Last edited by markg; 15-08-2019 at 06:43.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,449

    Default Re: Fishing a tidal river

    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Flounder Wars - part one! Im heading for Teddington with some lugworms.
    Lugworms? Have you seen the Flounder in the Thames, the ones I've had would have been smaller than the worm. Seriously Flounder are taking a bit of a battering (no pun intended) around our coasts in the last few decades, hope there's still a few getting up there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •