What is Traditional Angling?

mikench

Reaction score
A few months on and you are asking the same question. My answer above also remains the same. Stock is low and second hand prices are high. If you said what type of fishing you intend to pursue we could recommend a rod.

Last edited:

Reaction score
None of those rods are remotely related to 'traditional' angling imho,in fact they look rubbish to me,though i'm very choosy....

rayner

Reaction score
I mostly fish old style but it could never be classed as traditional. I opt for light float rods with light lines. OK, if fishing natural waters my set up would be normal, I instead fish the dreaded commercial fisheries where everything is geared to fishing with stepped up tackle to target carp.
Since I've been nailed on to commercials where there's a vast supply of silver fish that don't get fished for, anglers with my mindset get a free-range with fish eager to take baits.
Old style very far from the non-existant traditional style.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just fish with what I fancy, some of it will be considered traditional, mostly old rods, if I like them I will use them again or sell them. I will definitely be trying out a cane Marco test and a revamped green-heart rod when the opportunity arises and the fish or water suits them. If they feel right I will keep them and use them again. I tend to like these old rods more than modern rods but not all the time and not to a great degree but enough to carry on using them if they feel right. I don't think they are better or worse, modern and old generally have their individual merits. I don't bother with the reels, any reel that suits the rod will do me but I do like some of the old cork and quill floats, just something I like about them and plastic is becoming a bit of a no no, even for something as innocuous as a float. I think if it floats your boat use it, does it matter if it is one thing or the other. I am not trying to be traditional for the sake of it, or modern for the sake of it, its gut, heart and mind that rules.

Reaction score
To be honest,I really enjoy fishing light actioned match rods and have returned to that for a lot of my float fishing,in my fishing I do not see a necessity for hooklengths below 0.10mm,in fact normally no lower than 0.12mm,if I was match fishing that wouldn't always be the case....

John Aston

Reaction score
Despite- or because - I first wet a line in about 1960 , I think that cane rods' only modern use is for growing climbing plants , that wicker baskets are an affectation which leave you with an arse like a ploughed field and that nearly all old reels are fit only for recycling . Waxed cotton Barbours ? Hideous things , and often near useless after a season or two . The only 'old style ' stuff I use is rubber/pvc chest waders because breathables , for my use , are an expensive con whose only ability is to ensure your legs get wet within a month or so after forking out the absurd asking price . .

Trad tackle is fun , I'm sure , in the same way as driving a Ford Anglia can be . But you really don't want one as your daily driver..

john step

Reaction score
You already asked this question on 27th November last. You will get plenty of advice on here if you answer the questions as to what you intend to fish for and where.
I appreciate that for a beginner its difficult to know what questions to ask.

You have put this question on a thread not suitable for your requirements of very basic advice.
Personally any of the rods you linked to I would deem completely unsuitable for a beginner. Much of it is rubbish.

Philip

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it coincidental that a certain other missing poster also made an appearance on bait box about Bitcoin around about the same time?

Pure chance I am sure ... ;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it coincidental that a certain other missing poster also made an appearance on bait box about Bitcoin around about the same time?

Pure chance I am sure ... ;)
I thought he was last seen somewhere in the Thames Estuary in a deflating inflatable full of bit coins, or it might have been lead washers, no one was sure!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
changed my mind.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
To be honest,I really enjoy fishing light actioned match rods and have returned to that for a lot of my float fishing,in my fishing I do not see a necessity for hooklengths below 0.10mm,in fact normally no lower than 0.12mm,if I was match fishing that wouldn't always be the case....

Alan, it not difficult to get bites where I fish, I too could get bites on a little stronger hooklength if need be. I'm absolutely convinced I get more bite using finer lines coupled with smaller hooks. I know there's a risk of breakages, that is just a risk I'm prepared to cope with.
If I have a problem it is I don't see fish as pets as some do. If fish are in a river or commercial they are not pets they are wild. I can cope with a few breakages,

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't know about traditional but I tried my re-vamped greenheart 100 year old + rod yesterday. Best rod I have ever used. Are you Acolititees missing a trick, is the whole of the angling world.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sorry,to fish with a similar quality of tackle a Mitchell reel might go well with the greenheart...
Ah got it...looks like I will have to include you in my prayers as well, heathens, they are everywhere. :)
Seriously good rod though, light as a feather as well, who would have thought that and a lovely action, it will probably break the first decent fish I get on it but who cares, when do I catch a decent fish and it's not much different from the acolites is it, progress a, tah.

rayner

Reaction score
I just wonder if there are other derogatory names for fish, IE mud pigs a name that some call commercial carp because why I don't know.
There are fish I don't like, I dislike F1s but still call them F1s. I'm not too enamoured with the so-called mud pigs, never the less I still call them carp.
Is there a list of names that some call fish they dislike or hate?