Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  66
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is Traditional Angling?

I understand the appeal of vintage gear, just feel ancient now the stuff I used when I was younger is now considered almost antique.
    I'm the product of a working class council estate in Lverpool and cut my angling teeth on the canal and park lakes, not sure I could carry off the tweeds and deer stalker look too convincingly? Yet I do hold a certain nostalgia for my old fishing tackle, would be very happy to have my old basket, Mitchell reel and Shakespeare float rod today.
    I was called "real old school" by a young lad who was chatting to me on Stanley Park lake, this just meant I wasn't carp fishing with all the modern gear. I think there are two lines to be drawn? If you don't buy into the modern carp fishing ethos, and enjoy all round angling with fairly simple tackle, some would label you a traditional angler. Those that worship at the altar of Chris Yates, and dress like extras from Downton Abbey, label themselves as traditional anglers.
    I use modern carbon rods, they are miles better than any I owned as a youngster, but I deliberately fish in as uncomplicated way as possible, enjoy the simplicity and the freedom from not carting about enough gear to fill a bungalow. Each to their own. I'm a little bit traditional, a dash of minimalist and a bit dollop of grumpy old git stuck in his ways.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I understand the appeal of vintage gear, just feel ancient now the stuff I used when I was younger is now considered almost antique.
    I'm the product of a working class council estate in Lverpool and cut my angling teeth on the canal and park lakes, not sure I could carry off the tweeds and deer stalker look too convincingly? Yet I do hold a certain nostalgia for my old fishing tackle, would be very happy to have my old basket, Mitchell reel and Shakespeare float rod today.
    I was called "real old school" by a young lad who was chatting to me on Stanley Park lake, this just meant I wasn't carp fishing with all the modern gear. I think there are two lines to be drawn? If you don't buy into the modern carp fishing ethos, and enjoy all round angling with fairly simple tackle, some would label you a traditional angler. Those that worship at the altar of Chris Yates, and dress like extras from Downton Abbey, label themselves as traditional anglers.
    I use modern carbon rods, they are miles better than any I owned as a youngster, but I deliberately fish in as uncomplicated way as possible, enjoy the simplicity and the freedom from not carting about enough gear to fill a bungalow. Each to their own. I'm a little bit traditional, a dash of minimalist and a bit dollop of grumpy old git stuck in his ways.
    Like you I use modern tackle in old school ways. Even people like Chris Yates are not "traditional anglers" they are "old school anglers". You would have to go much further back with tackle to be a true "traditional angler", there would be no splitcane rods or fixed spool reels. It appears that they have just plucked a date out of the air and said this is traditional and that is modern.

I get the impression that for some anglers, "traditional" means imitating a style, in tackle and dress, that used to be used by others in the past. For me, "traditional" means I still like to fish much as I and others did when I started, and the commercial revolution has passed me by.

Apart from tackle and methods, I'd say I like to fish in traditional places - I regularly drive past some popular, busy commercials and arrive at rivers, gravel pits or lakes which are quite likely to be empty or nearly so.
    I'm drawn to all kinds of "real world" places, and alongside the idyllic rural spots I also happily fish next to bridges, or under them, opposite factories and buildings, in boatyards, by locks and sluices...... I like places that have features, character and the feel of a bit of history. The fisheries I drive past to get there often hold a lot more fish, but I don't enjoy the bland, recently made landscapes or those sorry pools with their "islands" the size of a large rug and the banks bare apart from some scabby grass in the edges. They don't seem "traditional" at all to me.

Some very good and thought provoking posts there and that Aknib fella looks to be a half decent recruit to the forum.

I really enjoy my fishing forays despite even being fairly useless and a bit too long in the tooth to radically improve. The key word there is enjoy. Trying a new rod or reel or a handmade float, discovering a new venue, swim or method, particularly if it is simple, is a joy. I have bought several older rods from a variety of manufacturers and derive satisfaction and enjoyment from using them. I will continue to add to my collection including innovative designs made with the finest materials rather than cheap mass produced variants. I could not , for example , bring myself to buy a beast master, battle zone, carp method rod and cannot see the point when there are some wonderful rods to be had.

Being a sad so and so, I like a rod in a quality bag, a cordura tube or well made case, and those aesthetics add to the enjoyment of use and ownership for me. Foolishly I tend to keep some rods like a Sunday best suit , not wanting to use them in muddy conditions, difficult swims, less salubrious locations or where they might be damaged. I do try to give them all an outing and enjoy( an over used word) considering beforehand where I'm going to fish, how I'm going to fish and which Tackle I plan to use. It's all part of the fun and anticipation of a days fishing much like perusing a menu from ones favourite curry house and trying to decide what to have.

Throughout life I have found the anticipation no less enjoyable than the actual event.
    Last edited by mikench; 11-10-2019 at 13:14.

Blog Entries

Traditional, you're having a laugh.
    No such thing. OK, you see some using old substandard out dated tackle. I know it's their choice, I could understand if they were using lines and floats/hooks of the same era. Accept it things have progressed for the better.
    Vintage tackle is OK I suppose if it could be displayed in some way, why anyone would want to return to the old ways is beyond me.
    To use it would drive me round the twist.
    There's enough rubbish about without resurrecting old rubbish.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234