Help required fishing a specimen lake

bennygesserit

Reaction score
attachment.php

Blanked here last week ( except for a few lovely roach ) - tactics were big method feeder to likely spots or fishing to somewhere I could cast accurately ( ie under arm lob out ) and fish a feeder full of pellets and cast every 3 minutes trying to build up a bed of bait.

Fished it the same a couple of years ago and My lad had about 5 carp out - maybe they have had a flood again and the carp have p***d off ( it wasnt till late afternoon that we say any sign of carp activity )

We were thinking of getting a 24 hour pass - this is our plan
depending on which way the wind is blowing fish into the wind
lay a carpet of bait out either by handballing it in , using a spod , or using a 13M pole with a cup on it ( both to put the bait out and place the feeder [ is that mad ? ] )
use flouro hooklengths as they are a bit stiffer than shop bought ones

try and find a way to mount a prawn on a hair rig ( think the perch keep having them )

All suggestions welcome hope the pic is the right way round

seth49

Reaction score
If you put a bait band on the hair, that will secure your prawn, rest of plan sounds ok, although a walk around trying to find were the carp are, if you can see them showing, would be worth it, always worth having a look for them before starting to fish.

john step

Reaction score
A boilie will deter the little perch. Also try one of those quick stops for the prawn.

John Keane

Reaction score
Cut prawn in two (or use 2 small ones) and use a hair rig with one of those Quikstops/Pushstops/Rapidstops on and just push through. I’ve used prawns like that recently.

nottskev

Reaction score
Seth's point is a good one - have a look for them. In the close season I sat at one end of a lake unable to raise a bite on a pellet waggler. When I moaned to the bailiff about the poor sport, he pointed down to the other end and said "They're all down there, duck, on the top". I walked down and it was true, so I moved my gear and began to catch. I won't need telling next time.

Another consideration - when it suits them, usually warm weather, the carp will stay in the top layers and method feeder won't be a good way to catch them.

Philip

Reaction score
I dont see any picture.

How big / deep is the lake? If its small and not very exposed wind is unlikly to have allot of influence.

Is there allot of angling pressure ?

I would go with bolies rather than prawns if your targeting the Carp.

Look for them as others have mentioned...early & late are prime times to spot movement.

If you have nothing to direct you in warmer months Carp will often move towards shallows during darkness. In addition a bait in the margins near weed with some feed round it can work.

What are others doing ? ..anyone else having succsess ? ..dont be afraid to copy if you have to...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Its not a lake bit not a small pool either my guess would be 100 M long 40 M wide ( at its widest )
One end is about 12 foot deep the shallower end about 4 or 5

I was hair rigging the prawns when I visited before the bailiff suggested most people catch on those

We were the only ones on there so it was difficult to judge , the current bailiff is a nice bloke but other than saying he had seen a fish by the aerator offered little practical advice

I know previously they lost a lot of fish to a flood - we didnt see any sign of carp at all until the late afternoon

Thanks Philip :)

Philip

Reaction score
If its 100m long x 40m.wide and little showing I would be tempted to hedge my bets if there are very few others fishing. Setup near the middle and spread rods from shallow to deep casting to any features Areators are always worth a rod. I would also focus more on the 4foot end into evening. I would ditch the prawns and go with bolies. A bit of bait round each rod. As the stock may be low i would go with careful traps and tight light baiting rather than a fill it in approach.

Obviously i am making some assumptions not knowing the water. I could have it all wrong.:) Good luck!