Berkley's Honey worms

alex_noel

Reaction score
Anybody tried this power bait? I see from Youtube they actually work. Are they rubbery or something. Do you reuse them?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

John Keane

Reaction score
In my experience artificial baits that have aroma, etc, don’t work. Soft plastics, like jelly worms, that are cast and worked back on a lure rod will catch fish but stuff just lying on the bottom and supposedly imitating worms, crabs, etc, is a waste of time.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You can't beat the real thing but I would be willing to give anything a try. The convenience of having a artificial bait in your bag is one thing if it works. I have tried artificial maggots without much success but I tried them on thier own. I have tried artificial crabs as well in the sea without success. Its odd with crabs that when I used to gut fish they would be full of hard backed crabs especially cod but try using one on your hook and nothing; yet peeler crab are excellent.
I would love an artificial static bait that really works in both seas and fresh so if Alex gives them a try out and let us know how he gets on would be good.

alex_noel

Reaction score
You can't beat the real thing but I would be willing to give anything a try. The convenience of having a artificial bait in your bag is one thing if it works. I have tried artificial maggots without much success but I tried them on thier own. I have tried artificial crabs as well in the sea without success. Its odd with crabs that when I used to gut fish they would be full of hard backed crabs especially cod but try using one on your hook and nothing; yet peeler crab are excellent.
I would love an artificial static bait that really works in both seas and fresh so if Alex gives them a try out and let us know how he gets on would be good.
Yeah I'll certainly do that. Not really keen on cultivating worms but might have to give that a bash too. Certainly artificial will be handy

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

laguna

Reaction score
I think Berkley's are okay with large mouth bass, but I've not had any luck at all with our native predators here personally. Your luck may vary of course.
You can't really beat the real thing... real food, real flavours, real amino acids (choppy worms are full of the stuff derived from their diet). The only real way to fool a fish properly imo is to disguise the plastic lures/bait with real amino acids. Definitely not artificial flavours.
If you really want to use plastic, suggest you soak them in an alcohol-free extract where possible.

If you can be bothered... one other option is to produce your own 'worms' made with Durham wheat, which can be coloured how you like them. All you need is some shop bought thick spaghetti called Spaghettoni cut to length - hydrated with a soup made of saturated salt solution and a few chopped earth worms. They are surprisingly tough.