Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bread, types, usage?

For some reason I can't remember, I haven't used bread for the last couple of seasons preferring pellet, maybe for the simple fact that pellets are the bait that fish see more often.
    When I was using bread it was the freshest I could get Warburtons is always good, straight from the bag for flake, my favourite. It's always good for punch but feed needs preparation. Wet bread is another excellent bait but needs preparation.
    Bread paste is good, I like to mix my paste with Oxo or custard powder but just bread is fine, if it's the salt that fish prefer with Oxo I'm not sure but it's readily taken. Custard powder for a sweet mix is a good Tench bait on the waters I fish. Most bread paste mixes are sticky, IE Oxo or custard powder is very sticky if you don't add enough mix to the soaked bread.
    There are umpteen ways of using bread these are my best ways.

Default Bread, types, usage?

Funny that people think that salt is an attractant. I prepare my hook bait bread by cutting off the crusts from a medium sliced Warburton’s loaf. I place a slice on a mesh from a grill and hold it over a simmering saucepan for three or four seconds or so. I then liberally sprinkle each steamed slice with Lo-salt and roll them with a rolling pin. For feed I cut the crusts off and put the slices in a food processor. Once they are whizzed I add Lo-salt and bag it up in Sandwich bags, three slices at a time and use Zip-lock bags for the feed. I cut the crusts off of the feed slices as the balls of feed tend to float if you don’t. Doing it this way the bait can be frozen after a trip and re-frozen after that. I personally prefer to use the Drennan flake punches you can also cut the slices into strips and nip off the hooked strip with your thumb nail to the size you want. I often feed hemp at the same time and occasionally use tares as a change bait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ray Roberts; 20-08-2019 at 17:42.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I use bread a lot, mainly in the winter for roach. I use punched bread, eight bits of punched bread (I know it sounds crude but it works) on a size 10 hook, legered with a cage feeder. Smaller hooks when laying-on or trotting. The Wharburtons sliced bread is flavoured and so is the homemade groundbait.

I have not tried salt yet but must give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    I use bread a lot, mainly in the winter for roach. I use punched bread, eight bits of punched bread (I know it sounds crude but it works) on a size 10 hook, legered with a cage feeder. Smaller hooks when laying-on or trotting. The Wharburtons sliced bread is flavoured and so is the homemade groundbait.

I have not tried salt yet but must give it a go!
    Lo-salt is best, table salt contains traces of iodine. Lo-salt contains potassium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

As Ray rightly imo points out, salt (Sodium chloride) is not the attractor most people think.
    Potassium is twice as reactive (literally), in particular; Potassium Citrate is superbly effective as a liquid glug for pellets, bread, boilies etc. Potassium is an essential but relatively rare mineral found in water.
    Lo-salt (brand name) contains lots of potassium too!

Good call Ray!

A thanks and a like to all the posts, very interesting; I have been using bread for years and have not tried this many variations on it. I will be trying out these suggestions in the future and catch some more fish, can't do worse than I have done lately! Punch, lo salt, hooking it differently, preparing some at home, blue cheese and freezing it; all come to mind. Many thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12