Bread, types, usage?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know there's been plenty of threads on this but to see what's the latest thinking thought to have a thread.
I bought an ordinary fresh farmhouse loaf from the bakers and did not like it, the bread just did not work very well however, the last time I bought a brown Hovis Multi seeded loaf sliced and I liked this, does anyone prefer brown bread? I do and use it a lot. This loaf squeezed on the hook nicely and stayed on long enough but i find brown bread "soaks" more quickly than white and becomes soggy which is good as long it stays on the hook, do you think the seeds help, quite a long list of seeds in the loaf; I did not catch much but it was only my first try.
I usually use the dirt-cheap Morrison brown sliced which I find very good for making crusty bits or "flake" but will look for this Hovis multi seeded type more often.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I rarely have success with bread but did catch a few yesterday on it. Being me( not easy) I had a slice rolled flat, a slice untouched and the crust all from a white loaf. I made punch from the first two and just ripped the crust into roughly 1" squares and hair rigged them with the bait stop on the crusty side. I have lots of the free baitstops from Korum which comes with some baits and I used the dumbbell variety detaching 4 rather than 2. I was ably to cast at least once and could see the crust. I just allowed it to move right to left in the tow and gale force wind( why are gales in summer called a summer breeze).

My Nash butt stop based on a locking cam wasn't up to the task of stopping the rod being pulled forward so must think again.

Next time out I'm going to take the whole uncut loaf and tear chunks off.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since finding this article I have had great success using bread especially for my Rudd fishing. Doesn’t fall off the hook even on a strong cast, although I do prefer it hair rigged on a quick stop, same piece of bread can be cast a few times. I prefer Warburtons which I make up the night before and cut the discs out with an old screw top from a gin bottle (Gordon’s naturally). Kept in a zip lock bag the bread stays fresh enough for at least 24 hours.

Idler's Quest: My Way with Bread

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Since finding this article I have had great success using bread especially for my Rudd fishing. Doesn’t fall off the hook even on a strong cast, although I do prefer it hair rigged on a quick stop, same piece of bread can be cast a few times. I prefer Warburtons which I make up the night before and cut the discs out with an old screw top from a gin bottle (Gordon’s naturally). Kept in a zip lock bag the bread stays fresh enough for at least 24 hours.

That is an excellent article, I will follow that and try warburtons plus make myself a punch. The bloke seems to have really sussed it. Thanks.

theartist

Reaction score
Not seen brown bread used much, think fish prefer white, fish like salt and anyone who's gone from eating white bread to brown will know how sallty white sliced is, I can't touch the stuff now due to the saltiness but the fish love it.

There's so many ways of fishing bread I imagine.

Been using white bread on ponds the last few years and it's been 50lb of fish every time, using two loaves of the cheapest supermarket stuff, the key as ever being feeding making sure to get through both loaves. Messy business firing out sloppy wet bread every cast but after a little while the fish are up in the water, it's almost like fishing for mullet and a lot fun fishing two foot deep getting flying bream, crucians, big roach and of course carp, with big bits of punch. Bird life and small roach are the only problem doing this so bigger bits of flake counter them a bit. Also a light pole float is so much more effective than a waggler for some reason doing this and the proper bites often take the float out of sight stripping line across the surface.

To think I spent so much time and money trying to work out soft pellets/paste when the white stuff is so good, I've yet to try it on a river for coarse fish yet do it all the time for mullet and bass, weird that one

wetthrough

Reaction score

That's where I first saw the method and I've done it that way ever since, or nearly. I cut the bread into about 10mm strips and just tear off what I want and fold it etc. Works well although the last couple of trips it's been coming off too easily. Not sure why but might be because the bread has been in the freezer too long. My preference is for Hovis medium for the flake and Hovis thick for punch. The thick seems to work better for punch but it's too thick for flake, for me. Might be something to do with my punches.

john step

Reaction score
Re Idlers Quest and punching out discs. Have a look for Drennan Flake Punches if they still do them. They do exactly that in different sizes but pear shaped. Very good way of fishing bread.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Stopped using white for many instances a few years ago - 50/50 serves me very well especially for trotting (another long time user of the Drennan Flake Punch).

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
I do quite a lot of fishing for carp on the surface, especially in good weather. I tend to use bagels if at all possible, as it is of a much firmer texture. It seems to resist casting and even some recasting, staying on the hook well. I slice it into 1cm slices across the bagel, making discs, and thread the hook through the disc from crust to crust with a baiting hook. Seems to work well for me.

Cheers, Bob

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Bread is an all round good bait, second only to maggots in my opinion. Brown crumb is often used in groundbaits - the vast majority is actually toasted white bread. Who knew?
While bread is preferred (visually) and Warburtons is the favourite among seasoned anglers as it's sticky and 'mouldable'. I have tried cheaper loafs over the years, including Hovis (you can smell it 3 streets away), but always revert to my all time favourite blue packet white sliced variety.
One VERY GOOD variation to flake I discovered a few years back was bread crumb and blue cheese used as a long lasting paste. All the usual suspects love the stuff, roach, tench, chub, barbel.... a pinch on the hook stays on for several trot-through's too. But equally good on stillwater lakes and canals especially after rain when visibility is low. Oh and mould is king... let it go mouldy green!!!

rayner

Reaction score
For some reason I can't remember, I haven't used bread for the last couple of seasons preferring pellet, maybe for the simple fact that pellets are the bait that fish see more often.
When I was using bread it was the freshest I could get Warburtons is always good, straight from the bag for flake, my favourite. It's always good for punch but feed needs preparation. Wet bread is another excellent bait but needs preparation.
Bread paste is good, I like to mix my paste with Oxo or custard powder but just bread is fine, if it's the salt that fish prefer with Oxo I'm not sure but it's readily taken. Custard powder for a sweet mix is a good Tench bait on the waters I fish. Most bread paste mixes are sticky, IE Oxo or custard powder is very sticky if you don't add enough mix to the soaked bread.
There are umpteen ways of using bread these are my best ways.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Funny that people think that salt is an attractant. I prepare my hook bait bread by cutting off the crusts from a medium sliced Warburton’s loaf. I place a slice on a mesh from a grill and hold it over a simmering saucepan for three or four seconds or so. I then liberally sprinkle each steamed slice with Lo-salt and roll them with a rolling pin. For feed I cut the crusts off and put the slices in a food processor. Once they are whizzed I add Lo-salt and bag it up in Sandwich bags, three slices at a time and use Zip-lock bags for the feed. I cut the crusts off of the feed slices as the balls of feed tend to float if you don’t. Doing it this way the bait can be frozen after a trip and re-frozen after that. I personally prefer to use the Drennan flake punches you can also cut the slices into strips and nip off the hooked strip with your thumb nail to the size you want. I often feed hemp at the same time and occasionally use tares as a change bait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I use bread a lot, mainly in the winter for roach. I use punched bread, eight bits of punched bread (I know it sounds crude but it works) on a size 10 hook, legered with a cage feeder. Smaller hooks when laying-on or trotting. The Wharburtons sliced bread is flavoured and so is the homemade groundbait.

I have not tried salt yet but must give it a go!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I use bread a lot, mainly in the winter for roach. I use punched bread, eight bits of punched bread (I know it sounds crude but it works) on a size 10 hook, legered with a cage feeder. Smaller hooks when laying-on or trotting. The Wharburtons sliced bread is flavoured and so is the homemade groundbait.

I have not tried salt yet but must give it a go!

Lo-salt is best, table salt contains traces of iodine. Lo-salt contains potassium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laguna

Reaction score
As Ray rightly imo points out, salt (Sodium chloride) is not the attractor most people think.
Potassium is twice as reactive (literally), in particular; Potassium Citrate is superbly effective as a liquid glug for pellets, bread, boilies etc. Potassium is an essential but relatively rare mineral found in water.
Lo-salt (brand name) contains lots of potassium too!

Good call Ray!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A thanks and a like to all the posts, very interesting; I have been using bread for years and have not tried this many variations on it. I will be trying out these suggestions in the future and catch some more fish, can't do worse than I have done lately! Punch, lo salt, hooking it differently, preparing some at home, blue cheese and freezing it; all come to mind. Many thanks.