Best butt rest for floater fishing

wetthrough

Reaction score
If it's any consolation Mike I nearly lost mine last Thursday just as I was catapulting bait out.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You need to come and fish in my neck of the woods Mike. The gulls are trained to an Olympic standard, they get all the practice they need when the DFL’s are visiting for the weekend or school holidays. The gulls can spot a chip from several hundred yards and swoop in pairs from different angles. Same on the local waters, I have one eye on the bait and constantly looking to the sky for imminent attacks!

I agree with Kev, I have lost a carp on the estate into the reeds when using a baitrunner legering,all happened within a second.

mikench

Reaction score
I have learned something new but obvious really. I have only floater fished 3 times. The first and third were just reactions to cruising fish and were successful. The second was going prepared but totally unsuccessful.

I will have another go tomorrow as just one tactic among others. Gulls are not a problem and the ducks keep away. One lives and learns.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s an exciting way to fish, just about the only time I’d target carp but the bird life is a serious problem in most the waters I fish, infact one local day ticket water has banned any form of surface fishing.

On the estate I try and remember to take a spare loaf to use as a diversion for the greedy ducks and coots. Being set in gardens open to the public they associate humans with a free lunch

john step

Reaction score
Mike, try putting some oily glug or sunflower oil on the dog mixers you set aside for hookbait. The hookbait one will stand out like a sore thumb at distance.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Blushed when I read the thread title. 'Thought it was a weird enquiry about bathroom furnishings.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I only use a butt rest for things like when I put the rod down for re-bating or taking a short break for coffee or a sarnie . . . . when fishing with it I always hold the rod but do use a front rest to make life easier.

When using a method feeder, for example, then I do use one of those clamping type rod rests to avoid problems on a vicious take.

PS, I also always use a small or medium size baitrunner for floater fishing . . . . .

PPS, I love floater fishing . . . .

laguna

Reaction score
I bet Peter would like to change his bait, drink coffee, catapult bait out, swing fish to hand, unhook and adjust his rigs without bending or putting his rod on bank sticks?

... I'm betting quite a lot of us would! ;)

Okay :focus:

Keith M

Reaction score
I once had to strip off and dive in after my favourite light Carp rod when using floating crust on my local estate lake, simply because I had to find something in my bag and looked away momentarily.

I was holding the rod in my hand up to then but I made the mistake of laying my rod down on the ground without opening my balearm and within seconds my rod was being dragged into the water and being towed out to the centre of the lake with only a bit of the cork handle visible.

I thought I was the only person there around the lake, and I certainly wasn’t going to lose my rod & reel, but as I played the small 10lb Carp standing up in the water out in the middle of the lake, there was a big cheer from some ladies who unbeknown by me had been watching me, and a great deal of laughter as I tried to hide my dignity as I clambered out without any clothes on.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I have never used a butt rest, front rest with the handle on my lap and my hand holding the rod.
Use a butt rest if you like but I'm against putting the rod down.
If we are not in control of the rod then I class that not fishing. I enjoy fishing to say the least.
Putting a rod in a rest waiting for a fish to hook itself is catching, I prefer to fish.

John Keane

Reaction score
I have never used a butt rest, front rest with the handle on my lap and my hand holding the rod.
Use a butt rest if you like but I'm against putting the rod down.
If we are not in control of the rod then I class that not fishing. I enjoy fishing to say the least.
Putting a rod in a rest waiting for a fish to hook itself is catching, I prefer to fish.

Putting a rod into a butt rest is hardly getting a fish to hook itself, is it? Putting the rod down to fire loose feed from a catapult or ball in some groundbait when waggler fishing isn’t using the rod as a bolt rig. You’re letting your prejudices run riot, I think.

laguna

Reaction score
Putting a rod into a butt rest is hardly getting a fish to hook itself, is it? Putting the rod down to fire loose feed from a catapult or ball in some groundbait when waggler fishing isn’t using the rod as a bolt rig. You’re letting your prejudices run riot, I think.

Tempted to tell you about my solution to putting the rod down to fire loose feed from a catapult, but I'll refrain from giving details for the time being. :)
(soon)

Reaction score
I use a butt rest,a lot,but wouldn't leave it unwatched and I would not use one for floated fishing,why not try sitting it just below the surface,using an indicator and lightly set clutch,imo surface fishing is a method where holding the rod is paramount and the only way you can fish two or more rods is if you put bottom rods on indicators and buzzers,float/feeder fishing not a chance...