Best butt rest for floater fishing

mikench

Reaction score
I have a variety of rod rests and butt rests. For months I have been using a Nash butt rest which has a cam type lock which operates when the handle is pushed down and opens when the rod is lifted. For pulls on the rod( no baitrunner) from the side or at an angle it works fine but pulls from a perpendicular direction pull the rod out.

I could set the rod at a 45* angle but what do others use. I nearly lost my rod twice yesterday by 8 lb carp so I slacked of the drag on the Stradic. Maybe I should use a baitrunner for this type of fishing.

All views gratefully received.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I would keep hold of the rod the whole time my floating bait (or any bait) was out. Why put it in a rest when the risk of losing it are so obvious?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simon is right Mike, I’m the laziest angler but would never put the rod in a rest when surface fishing, not just the risk of losing your rod to a carp but you have to be quick if a bird swoops down and goes for your bait.

nottskev

Reaction score
Locking butt rests? What on earth? Hold it, poised like a heron. You've got a fab collection of rods designed to feel good in the hand, and you weren't waiting long for bites, from your "floater" post. :)

seth49

Reaction score
These are the ones I use mike, but always with a baitrunner reel. 6E86E541-21FC-496A-AEC9-4F0AC41574A3.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, I feel suitably chastised.:)

Why are such eureka moments so obvious. I'm off for a loaf and the baitrunner it shall be.

nottskev

Reaction score
Baitrunners for floaters, when you can watch your bait and strike at the take, is progress?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A baitrunner option is better but I still wouldn’t be quick enough for a swooping gull. As soon as you lay a rod in a rest it is all too easy to get distracted, pour a drink maybe.

John Keane

Reaction score
Baitrunners for floaters, when you can watch your bait and strike at the take, is progress?

How about when you want to rummage in your bag for something, get your lunch, pour a cup of tea, etc, etc and Sod’s Law there goes your rod.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
How about when you want to rummage in your bag for something.

Reel in....

Let's not forget fish welfare here, losing a rod is ok as you can buy another one. A fish attached to a lost rod could either injure itself or even die as a result .

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
How about when you want to rummage in your bag for something, get your lunch, pour a cup of tea, etc, etc and Sod’s Law there goes your rod.

Reel in for a min? Sorry, but I don't see the role for gripping rod rests and baitrunners for what's akin to floatfishing. You're watching your bait or controller, watching them take freebies, aiming to strike as soon as a carp downs your bait? I can't imagine it often involves you not noticing the bait go, not seeing the controller go, missing seeing the line straighten or the tip bending.......... Baitrunners and gripping rests just seem to clutter up a beautifully simple method and make it like method feeder.

mikench

Reaction score
In my defence I was fishing at distance as that was were the fish were. I couldn't see the dog biscuit and barely see the lump of crust either as it readily settled just below the surface.

Also the last time I tried this I didn't get a take. I just cannot sit there for great lengths of time just staring at a distant object.

I shall regard myself as on probation and try to do better. I will use a controller float tomorrow and they won't be interested.

By the way Kev I was observing the line straightening and the tip moving and duly struck on most opportunities but I was lax on a couple hence the rod being pulled forward. I was ready for it as my rod loss was a nearly event.

Thanks for all the tips .

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Other reasons I’ve never used a rest for this method, if the venue allows I would be stalking looking to drop a bait on the nose of an unsuspecting carp. Also I prefer to stand up, behind some cover preferably if they are in the margin, standing gives me a better angle to see down into the water with your essential Polaroid’s on.

I also fish a floating bait on the river trotting hoping for a chub to demolish the bread or worm, wouldn’t get a chance to use a rod rest.

I only do surface fishing for short periods, maybe a hour or two, are you doing this for a longer length of time Mike?

John Keane

Reaction score
Reel in....

Let's not forget fish welfare here, losing a rod is ok as you can buy another one. A fish attached to a lost rod could either injure itself or even die as a result .

Oh, come on, you want to get a sandwich out of your bag (without having to get up and leave the rod) so you reel in? Your phone goes (yes, I know some of the sanctified don’t take them fishing but I do) so you answer it or at least see what made the noise. Do you practice what you preach Peter?

mikench

Reaction score
John i only do it if the carp or chub are cruising the surface and I'm not getting bites by any other method. I tend to do it for as long as they or me remain interested. Yesterday I was only catching on maggot and fed a few freebies at various distances so find the fish. There was little margin activity but the waters are at least 2 foot up and many pegs are submerged.

I enjoyed it and no harm was done either to my rod or the fish.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Do you practice what you preach Peter?

Not quite, as I don't fish floating baits (another story) and avoid carp fishing like the plague.
If I'm feeder fishing where striking isn't always necessary my rod will be on my thigh with one hand permanently gripping it. I would never put it down completely to do something else while my bait was in the water..

John Keane

Reaction score
John i only do it if the carp or chub are cruising the surface and I'm not getting bites by any other method. I tend to do it for as long as they or me remain interested. Yesterday I was only catching on maggot and fed a few freebies at various distances so find the fish. There was little margin activity but the waters are at least 2 foot up and many pegs are submerged.

I enjoyed it and no harm was done either to my rod or the fish.

It’s an enjoyable way of fishing but waterfowl and cruising gulls make it hazardous. I put my rod in the rest with Baitrunner on and use one of those Matt Hayes Surface Missile controllers to get distance with the crust or Chum mixers. The crust is visible at distance but the mixers aren’t so the controller provides the visual reference point. However farting about in your chair or on your box sorting out another rig or setting up for another method or any of the 101 things that can claim your attention momentarily can result in a rod pulled in so Baitrunners aid fish welfare. The only angler that can be 100% concentrated on the job 100% of the time is a heron!

John Keane

Reaction score
Not quite, as I don't fish floating baits (another story) and avoid carp fishing like the plague.
If I'm feeder fishing where striking isn't always necessary my rod will be on my thigh with one hand permanently gripping it. I would never put it down completely to do something else while my bait was in the water..

That’s what Baitrunners are for... :wh

nottskev

Reaction score
In my defence I was fishing at distance as that was were the fish were. I couldn't see the dog biscuit and barely see the lump of crust either as it readily settled just below the surface.

Also the last time I tried this I didn't get a take. I just cannot sit there for great lengths of time just staring at a distant object.

I shall regard myself as on probation and try to do better. I will use a controller float tomorrow and they won't be interested.

By the way Kev I was observing the line straightening and the tip moving and duly struck on most opportunities but I was lax on a couple hence the rod being pulled forward. I was ready for it as my rod loss was a nearly event.

Thanks for all the tips .

Do as you think fit, Mike.... it's only forum talk, and I was just a bit curious as to what you were doing. Your HDYGO post gave me the idea the carp were having it - was it a dozen you got in quick time?- so I couldn't get why you'd want to put the rod down and lock it in a rest. Under those circs, I'd be hovering over the next take.

The other thing that I was wondering about... you were getting them 50 yds away on a dog biscuit with no controller? I know Titans are good rods, but can they chuck a single biscuit 50 yds? What size dog are these biscuits for?

I've been fishing all season for things that will definitely drag your rod into the river. The reason I've still got the same number of rods is that the rod is on a front rest with the butt on my knee and my hand on the rod. The baitrunner is a no-no as the fish may bolt into snags or rocks and you need to be on it from the word go. I don't mind keeping on alert - it keeps me interested more than sitting back. I appreciate things may be different in the Cheshire carp fields. :)