Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best butt rest for floater fishing

I have a variety of rod rests and butt rests. For months I have been using a Nash butt rest which has a cam type lock which operates when the handle is pushed down and opens when the rod is lifted. For pulls on the rod( no baitrunner) from the side or at an angle it works fine but pulls from a perpendicular direction pull the rod out.

I could set the rod at a 45* angle but what do others use. I nearly lost my rod twice yesterday by 8 lb carp so I slacked of the drag on the Stradic. Maybe I should use a baitrunner for this type of fishing.

All views gratefully received.

Default Re: Best butt rest for floater fishing

I would keep hold of the rod the whole time my floating bait (or any bait) was out. Why put it in a rest when the risk of losing it are so obvious?

Simon is right Mike, I’m the laziest angler but would never put the rod in a rest when surface fishing, not just the risk of losing your rod to a carp but you have to be quick if a bird swoops down and goes for your bait.

Locking butt rests? What on earth? Hold it, poised like a heron. You've got a fab collection of rods designed to feel good in the hand, and you weren't waiting long for bites, from your "floater" post.

These are the ones I use mike, but always with a baitrunner reel.Best butt rest for floater fishing-6e86e541-21fc-496a-aec9-4f0ac41574a3.jpg

Baitrunner, progress exists for a purpose.

Thanks for the comments, I feel suitably chastised.

Why are such eureka moments so obvious. I'm off for a loaf and the baitrunner it shall be.

Baitrunners for floaters, when you can watch your bait and strike at the take, is progress?

A baitrunner option is better but I still wouldn’t be quick enough for a swooping gull. As soon as you lay a rod in a rest it is all too easy to get distracted, pour a drink maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Baitrunners for floaters, when you can watch your bait and strike at the take, is progress?
    How about when you want to rummage in your bag for something, get your lunch, pour a cup of tea, etc, etc and Sod’s Law there goes your rod.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast