Length under split shot (river trout)

alex_noel

Reaction score
Should it be close, or should a bit be left to flail about when using worms

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Trout are something I only see if I catch them accidentally on the Derwent, so I don't know the answer. You're wondering how far from the hook to put shot when floatfishing? Or are you legering? Where you put shot can be critical for some species, but if you show a trout a worm they tend to not be too bothered about rig subtleties. A shot a foot or so from your hook will help keep the bait down in the water and can help show a bite more quickly, helping you hook it in the mouth before it swallows it - important if you want to return fish alive. For legering, I'd guess a shot 18" from your hook, either as a stop for a sliding weight or the weight itself in a small stream, probably won't be far wrong. You can always move your shot provided you haven't squeezed it on too tight and see what works best in a particular spot.

alex_noel

Reaction score
Trout are something I only see if I catch them accidentally on the Derwent, so I don't know the answer. You're wondering how far from the hook to put shot when floatfishing? Or are you legering? Where you put shot can be critical for some species, but if you show a trout a worm they tend to not be too bothered about rig subtleties. A shot a foot or so from your hook will help keep the bait down in the water and can help show a bite more quickly, helping you hook it in the mouth before it swallows it - important if you want to return fish alive. For legering, I'd guess a shot 18" from your hook, either as a stop for a sliding weight or the weight itself in a small stream, probably won't be far wrong. You can always move your shot provided you haven't squeezed it on too tight and see what works best in a particular spot.
Sorry for being a noob but I don't know what ledgering is

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Legering - it's when you don't have a float, you just have a weight of some kind that lets you cast out, takes your bait to the bottom and keeps it where you want it in the river or lake or whatever.

Philip

Reaction score
In my experience river Trout are suicidal and will take a worm regardless of the distance the shot is from it so I wouldn't worry about it.

The good news is that it sounds like you have mastered putting a worm on now (having read your other thread) so now just lob one out there (pun intended) and I am sure Mr Trout will have it.

Good luck.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As above, I'd not worry too much. The depth you are fishing is more important than shotting, but when trout are in the mood even that doesn't matter much.

However, I'd suggest that you don't put your last shot too near the hook when float fishing, certainly no closer than five or six inches.

trotter2

Reaction score
When your fishing worms with a float your generally running the float at full depth with the worm bouncing along the bottom.
Your last shot will be better placed to hold the bait down anywhere from 6 inches to a foot maximum should see you ok its not critical with worm fishing and trout are aggressive feeders anyway. Try that.