Where did that river go?

theartist

Reaction score
Most small streams get like that in summer Mark but you will notice it getting smaller as the water goes year on year. Sheep do make access to the banks on rivers but aren't really a viable solution as no landowner or organisationis are going to maintain a flock of sheep for the purpose of clearing swims from an angler's point of view. I also doubt very much if any clubs would be interested or the EA as it's not a named river and doesn't contain big barbel. Post a pic of a big double in the press and the place would get cleared for you ;).
If it's council land then is it free fishing but neglected? If so why not name the river like I did with the Bulbourne

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most small streams get like that in summer Mark but you will notice it getting smaller as the water goes year on year. Sheep do make access to the banks on rivers but aren't really a viable solution as no landowner or organisationis are going to maintain a flock of sheep for the purpose of clearing swims from an angler's point of view. I also doubt very much if any clubs would be interested or the EA as it's not a named river and doesn't contain big barbel. Post a pic of a big double in the press and the place would get cleared for you ;).
If it's council land then is it free fishing but neglected? If so why not name the river like I did with the Bulbourne
I never indicate where I fish or live since some a hole once sent me threatening private messages. I dont want it in my home, on my computer or "anywhere near my family"!!.

What I don't understand is how some landowners who rent thier water out to a club are happy when letting it go to pot. Surely a couple of those big herbage eating cattle would solve the problem for all concerned.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Yesterday I found myself driving through Hertfordshire and I could not resist taking a small detour to view an old fishing haunt on a small river.

I last fished it as a member of the club 25 to 30 years ago. At the time there was a ford with the river running across the road.
Now it is reduced to some pipes going under the road with a very reduced flow. I could see that the water here was only a few inches deep and crystal clear.

There was fencing along the river which was not there then. Keep cattle off I wonder? There were reeds which were not there.

Shame about the flow as I had more than more share of 2lb roach in this stretch. I wonder if it still fishes?

Rob the artist and probably Keith M will know this spot.