Bait only reservoir

alex_noel

Reaction score
Just phoned a local reservoir. They said they allow fly and non-fly fishing but no spinners, crankbait or swimbait, only worms/maggots. Why would this be?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

John Keane

Reaction score
Just phoned a local reservoir. They said they allow fly and non-fly fishing but no spinners, crankbait or swimbait, only worms/maggots. Why would this be?

Probably because it’s very easy to catch stockie rainbow trout using spinning tactics, and catch and release (if you’ve caught your limit) is not helped by treble hooks.

alex_noel

Reaction score
Probably because it’s very easy to catch stockie rainbow trout using spinning tactics, and catch and release (if you’ve caught your limit) is not helped by treble hooks.
Yes, was thinking that, but the funny thing is when you have reached the three fish limit (you take them home) you can't fish further, even catch and release.

daniel121

Reaction score
As John Keane said its probably because if the treble hooks doing dame the fish stocks. However my experience is there is not much fun fishing for stockie trout on maggots they give their self's up far too easy.

Its cheating, call me old fashioned but a trout should be caught on a fly.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Given your location, I'm actually a little surprised that you've found somewhere that allows bait fishing for trout. Once you get north of the river Tees, you are firmly into game fishing territory. The majority of trout waters, especially stocked waters, don't allow lures/spinning, or bait fishing for trout. It's just one of those things.