Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Bait only reservoir

Just phoned a local reservoir. They said they allow fly and non-fly fishing but no spinners, crankbait or swimbait, only worms/maggots. Why would this be?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Default Re: Bait only reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by alex_noel View Post
    Just phoned a local reservoir. They said they allow fly and non-fly fishing but no spinners, crankbait or swimbait, only worms/maggots. Why would this be?

Probably because it’s very easy to catch stockie rainbow trout using spinning tactics, and catch and release (if you’ve caught your limit) is not helped by treble hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Probably because it’s very easy to catch stockie rainbow trout using spinning tactics, and catch and release (if you’ve caught your limit) is not helped by treble hooks.
    Yes, was thinking that, but the funny thing is when you have reached the three fish limit (you take them home) you can't fish further, even catch and release.

As John Keane said its probably because if the treble hooks doing dame the fish stocks. However my experience is there is not much fun fishing for stockie trout on maggots they give their self's up far too easy.

Its cheating, call me old fashioned but a trout should be caught on a fly.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Given your location, I'm actually a little surprised that you've found somewhere that allows bait fishing for trout. Once you get north of the river Tees, you are firmly into game fishing territory. The majority of trout waters, especially stocked waters, don't allow lures/spinning, or bait fishing for trout. It's just one of those things.