Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Coarse closed season to remain

Now let's bring back a closed season on all waters especially on those commercial ponds where the fish get hammered day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
    For me it's not solely about breeding fish. Water birds and other wildlife are also breeding, plus the banks need a break too. The close season also helps the banks recover, and allows work to be carried out while we're not fishing.

Personally, I think the rise of the commercial day ticket waters is taking us down a path, and not a good one, but that's another discussion.
    The banks on my fisheries don’t need time for recovery. Just before the start of the season the landowner at the clubs request chop back the grass right up to the fence separating the river bank to the field the bank is then strimmed back. Surely this creates more disturbance than lightly trod grass that would indicate the swims if there wasn’t a close season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Blog Entries

Key words int the EA statement "The responders were invited to provide evidence to support their view". There lies the rub.
    The EA, typical Civil Service people, tried to make the 'consultation' (in quotes because they didn't really want to know) all far too complicated and too long as they do many other 'consultations' they run. They know what's best and you don't, is their maxim.

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    It was never going to change, even if the vote had been a landslide in favour of scrapping the CS.
    The EA simply don't have the money, staff or resources to administer the complexities of a change.
    I agree with the first paragraph wholeheartedly, but the second - they really don't need the staff or resources, just scrap it. We'll do all the rest, eyes on the bank. The real reason is, they DO NOT LIKE CHANGE! Or worse still, being overruled.

Back in June I had a report or Romanians (Oh yes they were!) fishing the river in Oxford out of season. I phoned our local Enforcement Officer who had been there in the early morning and was in Swindon. He managed to get back in time and nabbed them in flagrante delicto and now they will go to Court, but just how many get away with it because WE are not there to keep an eye on the rivers?
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Blog Entries

A classic example or corrupting opinion polls. Not that the EA needs this, they just ignore your views anyway.

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    The banks on my fisheries don’t need time for recovery.
    Exactly. Two months and more into the season and the majority of swims on rivers I fish are so overgrown as to be inaccessible. Indeed, many former swims are lost through lack of people making space amongst or through bushes, trees and vegetation. That's how it is now - and the number of anglers won't be increasing as the year goes on! There may well be areas of the country where too much angling footfall damages banks - but the situation is the opposite in many others, and it goes to show that a blanket close-season and no local discretion leads to anomalies.

When everyone mentions their fisheries as an example do they have a portfolio of waters representative of the whole of Britains rivers? - I think not somehow.

I know plenty of waters where there could be no harm in fishing for breeding fish whereas others where it could be a total disaster, I think the EA have to look at the whole picture and not just whats in someones backyard

Notice the word 'could' None of us know for sure maybe it's best if they do scientific studies and a consultation with anglers across the nation before making a decision? Oh hold on

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    When everyone mentions their fisheries as an example do they have a portfolio of waters representative of the whole of Britains rivers? - I think not somehow.

I know plenty of waters where there could be no harm in fishing for breeding fish whereas others where it could be a total disaster, I think the EA have to look at the whole picture and not just whats in someones backyard

Notice the word 'could' None of us know for sure maybe it's best if they do scientific studies and a consultation with anglers across the nation before making a decision? Oh hold on
    Recognising the differences between places is exactly why my post mentioned "local discretion". Looking at the whole picture need not lead to a one-size-fits-all policy.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Recognising the differences between places is exactly why my post mentioned "local discretion". Looking at the whole picture need not lead to a one-size-fits-all policy.
    Last thing angling needs is more different byelaws around the country therefore it has to be a one size fits all policy surely?, hence the simplified yes/no/move consultation

Smile Re: Coarse closed season to remain

I believe a "consultation" on road safety is set to impose a 30mph limit everywhere - on the basis that it's needed in some places and the alternatives are too complicated to administer.

Why "surely"? There are stillwaters near me that continue to apply a close-season. It doesn't seem to be a problem; everybody knows which places are open and which not, and the general idea - devolving decisions to the owners - beats mushroom-management from the centre.

We none of us, anglers or authorities, know quite what impact abolition would have, and we don't know what use the current close season serves, as we don't have evidence, rather a jumble of beliefs and opinions to support our different views, where we play scissors, rock, paper with totally different kinds of point: he says let the banks grow back; I say keep an angler presence on the bank all year etc etc.

It's a pity we don't show the courage to undertake an experiment in lifting the close season, with he option to re-instate it in the light of evidence that we should have one. Keeping the law without the evidence just maintains an irrational situation.

Why surely? Well there would be boundary issues for starters, where would the close season apply and where would it stop

You've countered that with "Everyone knows which places are open or not" How do you know that? I couldn't tell you what waters are open all year round here, with the club waters it's easy but the day ticket and free venues, nah no chance. Given the geographical spread of rivers and their many riparian ownerships this would be chaos unleashed.

Any decision also has to be permanent how would a temporary trial work? How would reinstating a close season work? It would take a decade before any negative impact on rivers would be felt so would it be a long term trial?

Anglers on banks? What do they do again, stop cormorants? stop poachers? The latter benefit from well trodden easy access and seem pretty unperturbed by our presence

The fact that your post Kev has left so many questions would imply that it has to be one size fits all and permanent, or left as it is, just for simplicity if nothing else

If it ain't broke...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast